Welcome guest/lurker! Read more... ×
Download Our IOS and Android App! Read more... ×
Jimmy O

One to walk away from

Jimmy O

Hi all, I’ve been  asked to quote for a 4 bed house 9 years old with a new extension, got there today and every inch of every window was totally covered in plaster inside and out, I pointed out scratches on the one window the lady looked at, the rest were the same. All the frames and doors cacked too. I usually just price by day rate on these jobs. Told her she would need to sign a scratch waiver and the builders should have left the plastic on, but decided I’ve enough on to bother at all, she wants a total price, said she will see what the other company says. Done loads of these but this ain’t worth the grief. 

Why do these builders get away with such messy work, when I was a tree surgeon we would take out big trees grind out the stump and the place would be left immaculate. Rant over 😂👍

A98AE9F1-A931-4BEA-9ABA-567E8D72400C.jpeg

56BCF205-BAB6-4522-8FA6-0B3C5531DFFE.jpeg

AGlassAct

That’s been done in the cheap - no decent tradesman would leave that kind of mess. Just price high so if you do get it you’ll be smiling all day. I had a similar one not long ago - next door to a regular customer I have had an extension, somehow the builders managed to splash mortar all over the side windows, doors and lower velux windows (the extension was a good 10ft away from the boundary). They told my customer they would pay for me to restore them back to how they were, apparently they had a mini heart attack when they saw the invoice with hourly rate plus consumables. Hopefully it will make them think twice next time!!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Jimmy O
28 minutes ago, AGlassAct said:

That’s been done in the cheap - no decent tradesman would leave that kind of mess. Just price high so if you do get it you’ll be smiling all day. I had a similar one not long ago - next door to a regular customer I have had an extension, somehow the builders managed to splash mortar all over the side windows, doors and lower velux windows (the extension was a good 10ft away from the boundary). They told my customer they would pay for me to restore them back to how they were, apparently they had a mini heart attack when they saw the invoice with hourly rate plus consumables. Hopefully it will make them think twice next time!!

She must of gone for the cheapest quote for sure, the builder said to me that’ll be fun ! I said why weren’t the windows covered, he never replied....  Every window in the house, old and new caked like I’ve never seen. The lady said she’s moving in on a Thursday in December, so I would need to be there on the Monday or Tuesday ?????? After that I went inside and took a look. Mental. 

David K

I wouldt even make an offer ,but i refuse any builderscleans, not worth the risk , imo . 

scottish cleaning service

Don't understand why they don't take an hour and cover windows with light blue polythene? My mate is a roughcaster and refuses to do it. He ends up covering the pvc windows with blue glue and just walks away. I would quote £500 and hope I don't get it, not worth the hassle.

Pjj

Wouldn’t evan bother quoting for that not that desperate for work got plenty of easy nice stuff to do 

Jimmy O

Thanks lads. I’ve not walked away from a job yet, however you need to know when it’s best to do just that. I didn’t get a great feeling from the potential customer either tbh. 

Incheck
Wouldn’t evan bother quoting for that not that desperate for work got plenty of easy nice stuff to do 

On the contrary, we are quiet & i wouldn’t go near that one!
I believe the answer should come from the “builders” themselves.
Seen so many windows destroyed i just don’t know how they get away with it.
My reply would be “thanks for my 20 grand renovation mate but what about my 10 grands worth of windows lost in the process?” We couldn’t get away with leaving a streak! Begs belief

Pjj
7 minutes ago, Jimmy O said:

Thanks lads. I’ve not walked away from a job yet, however you need to know when it’s best to do just that. I didn’t get a great feeling from the potential customer either tbh. 

To be fair plaster comes of easily , but cement if it has been there any amount of time will etch the glass and there is nothing you can do about that it will need replacing: if the glass is scratched it will also need replacing, personally I wouldn’t want to get involved with the issue as the builder will blame you for the damage scratches and you will be pig in the middle with the customer

Jimmy O
2 minutes ago, Pjj said:

To be fair plaster comes of easily , but cement if it has been there any amount of time will etch the glass and there is nothing you can do about that it will need replacing: if the glass is scratched it will also need replacing, personally I wouldn’t want to get involved with the issue as the builder will blame you for the damage scratches and you will be pig in the middle with the customer

Thanks, as soon as I looked at this one I knew it was one to walk away from. Leave the builders sort it out with their customer, who I’m sure won’t be an easy one to deal with. I guarantee the other window cleaners won’t want it either.