Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do you get what you pay for ?

RWCleaning

I’ve always been someone who naturally looks at the price, not in the cheap way, but I’ve normally gone with the more expensive option hoping/presuming/expecting it to be superior/better.

But the older and slightly wiser I’m getting I’m not sure it’s true. On here several times I’ve seen people put links to £300+ gutter cams, £5000+ Van systems, etc etc. And thats fine up to them.

But over the last couple of years, now living on my own, paying all the bills etc I’ve had to be abit more sensible with money, So bought the cheaper options in several things where before I would of bought the more expensive option. And in most I’ve found them to be fine, reliable, decent.

Where I’ve bought more expensive options over the years that have been poor quality or unreliable etc.

Now obviously it’s subjective and a very wide subject to cover. But just got me thinking that’s all... ?

Also, it’s like the new-ish Range Rover Sport, here in Bournemouth you see one every 2 minutes now, it’s ridiculous. Yet I’ve heard several people (including a couple of customers) say how disappointed they’ve been, electrical problems, poor customer service at the dealer garage etc. And they are so expensive compared to other family cars/4x4s you can buy. 

An old millionaire business man told me he only buys German when it comes to engineering. I bought a VW car and had no probs with it. Sold it when it was 4yrs old and bought a VW van and now have it 9yrs and again no probs bar the alarm siren. After taking his advice, it seems to be true with engineering for me anyway. FWIW

I’ve heard the defenders are bullet proof ( the real old ones) Toyota seems to be the dogs balls in that department going by any footage I’ve seen From isis hammering them through the dessert lol

Remember that season of Top Gear they spent trying to kill a Toyota Hilux? Didn't manage it.  Only basic tool kit allowed for repairs? Would truly have been fascinating to see how a Defender would have fared to that punishment. 
They can take a battering, the army still use them as NOTHING they trialled can compete. Yes some other vehicles are better at certain things, but they're the only thing that can do everything, and won't die. I've heard stories from Iraq where they were getting blown up, shot at, but just kept going. Top gears Hilux took some punishment, but any army landy has probably had worse.

The gearboxes are **** though, takes a week to find the right gear at first!

Last edited by a moderator:
An old millionaire business man told me he only buys German when it comes to engineering. I bought a VW car and had no probs with it. Sold it when it was 4yrs old and bought a VW van and now have it 9yrs and again no probs bar the alarm siren. After taking his advice, it seems to be true with engineering for me anyway. FWIW
Wish that was true of all German cars.

We bought a one year old sports pack 3 series BMW 18 months back and the bloody thing has gone back to the garage 4 times because of faults coming up on the dashboard ?.

Yeh my mates Caddy was only 6 years old and well looked after but ended up being needing £2000+ worth of engine bits doing to it. And that was the cheapest machanic around, the Vw official garage would of wanted £4000 for the work

Remember that season of Top Gear they spent trying to kill a Toyota Hilux? Didn't manage it.  Only basic tool kit allowed for repairs? Would truly have been fascinating to see how a Defender would have fared to that punishment. 

Friends of mine in Australia say “ if you want to go to the bush get a Land Rover “ “if you want to go to the bush and home again get a Toyota “ enough said ????? Land Rover reliability has always been atrocious the only dealership I know that when you take the vehicle in for a service ask any warranty issues sir ?? 

Can't beat a 110 defender dpv (desert patrol vehicle)

I've seen the state they come back in and just need a thorough clean and service

They were using them from the 80s until recently

And no squaddies aren't the gentlest of people

Yet old school defenders are indestructible

Theyre squaddie proof, in my book that's pretty much indestructible. @Dave B can back me up with that sentiment

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't beat a 110 defender dpv (desert patrol vehicle)

3.5l v8

I've seen the state they come back in and just need a thorough clean and service

They were using them from the 80s until recently

And no squaddies aren't the gentlest of people

The v8 petrol engine is probably the best engine they ever used , all the issues they have are electrical and going into limp mode I hade a rr sport sold it after 6 months biggest load of rubbish I have ever bought , air suspension failier 4 times in a month I owned it for 6 months it spent 5:5 months in the dealers and that was a brand new car , looked nice and when it did actually drive it was a nice drive but I would never have another , i now have Bmw and audi and suprise suprise the only time they go in the garage is for a service never had a problem in 180000 miles in the Bmw , audi has only done 28000 from new and again never had a problem, would t have land rover if I was paid to drive it 

Wish that was true of all German cars.

We bought a one year old sports pack 3 series BMW 18 months back and the bloody thing has gone back to the garage 4 times because of faults coming up on the dashboard ?.
It's all newer cars I reckon

I had an old m5 beast back in 2000 with paddle clutch and dogleg box and it was already old then and never had an issue with it

Personally I've always had to check myself as I'm more likely to err on the side of 'The pricier the better' whereas, in most cases, even just the middle of the road option will do just as good a job - or close enough, with no real discernible difference - for a much lower price. The older I get the more price-savvy I get (aka obsessed), so no, definitely not alone. 

You cant beat Toyota Land Cruiser or if you can't afford that Nissan Patrol, especially in OZ because kids can drive V8's straight after passing there test. Theres always a lot of crashes there. You need a tank to be safe. My last motor before I left was a Toyota FJ Cruiser V6 4litre petrol 4x4.

Latest Posts

Back