Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Awkward Windows

Rickadoo

Got a few windows like these (see pic). A right pain as your pole is more horizontal than vertical. Have to stand well back and the pole clanks on the top of the extension when you are scrubbing the bottom of the window. Anyone got any good tips for this? ie a suitable gooseneck?

552c1920b194966c2b1a4888978577e0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

If possible stand either side of that extension and clean the windows from the side, works for me and I'm 5ft ?

I Usually take round my metal 3 step ladder and that will give you enough height to see the whole window. Easiler than getting ladders out 

Adjustable ladders that turns into steps I have a few windows like this extra 30 to 60 secs on your work. 

Step ladder for jobs like that. The house looks similar to a friend of mines house I clean every month, conservatory at the back. I could go at if from the side but with those side windows it would be easier to just get the steps out.

You have to charge the extra on these jobs as they really require you to combine using the ladders and the pole.If I had a choice to do a load of two up two downs with no extensions or a load with extensions then the ones with extensions are going to take more time hassle and tools so that means more money in my book.Same as terraced houses and side access.I’d take side access all day long as terraced can mean bright carpets on wet days etc.The less hassle,the easier the job.The more hassle/obstacles the more expensive the job

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I would like to drive around without my triple extension ladder in my van but it can save a lot of time. From getting over gates, clearing drainpipes and getting on to flat roofs, I fell its a must and don't leave home without it.

I would like to drive around without my triple extension ladder in my van but it can save a lot of time. From getting over gates, clearing drainpipes and getting on to flat roofs, I fell its a must and don't leave home without it.
I have a double ladder on my roof but it’s a faff unlocking it then removing the clamps etc. By the time I’ve done that, might as well get the big pole out. 

You have to charge the extra on these jobs as they really require you to combine using the ladders and the pole.If I had a choice to do a load of two up two downs with no extensions or a load with extensions then the ones with extensions are going to take more time hassle and tools so that means more money in my book.Same as terraced houses and side access.I’d take side access all day long as terraced can mean bright carpets on wet days etc.The less hassle,the easier the job.The more hassle/obstacles the more expensive the job

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Agreed. When she had the extension added the price went up, although she didn’t have any extra windows. 

If possible stand either side of that extension and clean the windows from the side, works for me and I'm 5ft ?

Step ladder for jobs like that. The house looks similar to a friend of mines house I clean every month, conservatory at the back. I could go at if from the side but with those side windows it would be easier to just get the steps out.
Side is a good plan but they have a table and 4 chairs right where I need to stand. 

Thanks. Wonder if that’d make a difference. Bit of a pig changing it over tho

Also if you can afford a more rigid pole (an SLX or Extreme) it'll be less likely to scrape on the extension. I couldn't work with a CLX these days ....

Also if you can afford a more rigid pole (an SLX or Extreme) it'll be less likely to scrape on the extension. I couldn't work with a CLX these days ....
I agree. I have a smaller SLX for everyday use but the I only have a handful of jobs where I need to use the 35 footer. It’s More about justifying the expense. Wish I’d bought the long slx now. 

I keep a "hop-up"  in my van. Much quicker to setup than a ladder & just gives you that extra height for reaching these sort of windows:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium-work-platform-600-x-490mm/5892p
Yep.  Would also be good for those gates where the bolt is halfway down on the inside. 

But the extra bounce you get from a CLX would make this job easier. 

hanks. Wonder if that’d make a difference. Bit of a pig changing it over tho
Take you as long to change over as it would to get the ladders off. 

Back