Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump controller problem

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Kleenwell

Hi all

i have just upgraded to a liquidlogic v11 Rf controller (previously simple analog controller).   It works great on wash mode  but as soon as I up the speed (rinse mode) it goes dead end and pulses.    I have set the calibration to 99.  The highest it will go.  But it still does it.    Worse if I lower the calibration.    If I disconnect my hose and run straight back into my tank, it’s fine.   Any ideas peeps? 

Last edited by a moderator:
One reason I found when this happened was the connection from Controller to pump and also controller to battery. As you increase the speed more amps is drawn so if have a faulty connector or you only have a few strands of wire this stops the increase in amps.

32 is a low calibration it normally comes in at 40 ish so also try setting it manually to that.

It’s not the connections.  Deffo not.   Electrics are kinda my thing.   The battery reading on the controller says 12.7 almost always.   Checked this with a multi meter   Pump side never drops bellow 12.2v when running at 99. With a small restriction (no hose or pole but inline tap shut most of the way).       If the calibration is bellow 60, it pulses the pump after I set flow above 50.       One possibility, my pump is a flow jet.   Rated at 9a max.    Could it be that 9a is too much for this controller (despite it saying 10a max on the back?

You could be well right there trying to draw 9 amps and cannot. If you have a volt meter and set it to measure in amps you can clearly see what is happening. This is what I use

Just metered it, with calibration set at 99, it goes dead end at 9.6amps.   

My meter has a max hold and this is what it said.    Looks like I either need to go back to analog or buy a new pump.  Grrr.   

I thought the controller was rated at 10a max.   If it cuts out at 9.6, this is misleading. 

If you are running at 99 on the controller then that's basically the pump at full throttle. You don't need a controller at that flow.

We run Varistreams and the most I ever use regularily is a flow of 5; once every blue moon 6. Our controllers go to 9 with the last 'button' B for boost.  

If I go back to the dark ages before controllers, we used 1/2" hose and our jets were 3mm.  In the summer I used all 450 liters in my tanks and the 100 liters I carried in containers by 2.30 -3.00. On the same round I was slightly slower when we purchased our first Varistream with reduced water flow but did more houses by 5.00 and never used the spare 100 liters. I also reduced jet sizes down to 2mm.

In those days I had a small r/o and processed water directly into my trailer's tanks overnight, so water was limited.

The 99 is the calibration setting.  Flow rate won’t go above 52 without it pulsing and saying dead end.    We have figured out it’s because my pump is rated at 9amps.  The controller doesn’t like this.     I am looking at a new pump now   But I do also think my hose is adding a lot of back pressure.   I’m thinking either going to 8mm. Or cutting it down to 60 meter 

The 99 is the calibration setting.  Flow rate won’t go above 52 without it pulsing and saying dead end.    We have figured out it’s because my pump is rated at 9amps.  The controller doesn’t like this.     I am looking at a new pump now   But I do also think my hose is adding a lot of back pressure.   I’m thinking either going to 8mm. Or cutting it down to 60 meter 

Sorry, I misunderstood that.

I wonder if its just your controller.

I remember many years ago a friend of ours who worked for Siemens bought two identical transistor radios (yes it was back in the early 1980's), one for each child. Individually, they each played fine but when compared, the sound of one was noticeably different to the sound of the other.

These days of mass produced electronic components you are bound to get some components that appear to work normally but fail under stress. I wonder if there it someone living near you that would try your pump on his controller.

I know what you mean in terms of production tolerance differences 

I do think it is my pump though

i metered the current.  At 80 flow without hose connected, it’s pulling 7amps 

connect the hose and it shoots up well over 9 amps before it goes dead end.  

I think the 10a rating of the controller is the peak and its happy sat at about 8 amps constant.  

I know what you mean in terms of production tolerance differences 

I do think it is my pump though

i metered the current.  At 80 flow without hose connected, it’s pulling 7amps 

connect the hose and it shoots up well over 9 amps before it goes dead end.  

I think the 10a rating of the controller is the peak and its happy sat at about 8 amps constant.  

Why not send an email off to Ian Sheppard at Spring Controllers and ask his opinion.

[email protected]

He's a really good guy and very helpful.

Pump bypasses analogue pump controller can’t control water speed any ideas
The analogue pump controller is what regulates the speed of the pump. Slow the motor down and the pump pumps slower; speed the motor up and the pump pumps faster.

If the pump bypasses the pump controller there is not controller to adjust motor speed and hence flow rate.

Probably best to put some photos up of your controller, pump and wiring for us to understand your system better.

Hi thanks for info I will put photo on of controller, it lights up red on pressure but the control settings don’t change the speed when I turn it up or down just flows through at full speed

I feel embarrassed to ask but can anyone  explain more about calibration in a more simpler way 

Watched on youtube how to do an auto-calibration but that didn't solve the prob - the pump keeps pumping way too log after I turn off the valve ..   

Today I extended the pole first and opened the flow valve  - then switch on the controller at 60 ( that's what I usually work with )  and  did an auto calibration .  the controller blinked for about 8 seconds then displayed "16"   and I pressed SET / ENTER     

problem is still there .. I now consider fitting the controller from my Gardiner backpack do you think that might work ?

Had the same problem about 6 years ago but never since  - until I  recently changed the tank and the pump 

pump.png

Hi all

i have just upgraded to a liquidlogic v11 Rf controller (previously simple analog controller).   It works great on wash mode  but as soon as I up the speed (rinse mode) it goes dead end and pulses.    I have set the calibration to 99.  The highest it will go.  But it still does it.    Worse if I lower the calibration.    If I disconnect my hose and run straight back into my tank, it’s fine.   Any ideas peeps? 

Hi all

It should dead end and pulse when your tap is off. 

Hi thanks for info I will put photo on of controller, it lights up red on pressure but the control settings don’t change the speed when I turn it up or down just flows through at full speed
Have you accidentally put the battery terminals on the battery the wrong way around, ie, reversed polarity.

If you have then you need to have the controller repaired. If it's a Spring Europe controller then they can do it. 

Have you accidentally put the battery terminals on the battery the wrong way around, ie, reversed polarity.

If you have then you need to have the controller repaired. If it's a Spring Europe controller then they can do it. 
Don’t know what is wrong but my speed dial only operates on full blast,dial to turn speed up or down will not operate on any other speed

Back