Welcome guest/lurker! Read more... ×
Download Our IOS and Android App! Read more... ×
Stedon

What customer numbers is classed as good round

Stedon

I know this question is like asking how long is a piece of string, I obviously know it’s how much you want it to grow and how many customers you need to give you an income that your happy with. I understand you can get customers by traditional methods of canvassing, word of mouth by doing a good job, or other methods of buying leads.

I have the luxury of having approximately a years salary of my current job saved as I sold my second house, so if I start this buissness I could hopefully afford to give it my all full time cleaning and canvassing.

Would 270 approx customers take long to build up in a year ? let’s say, I’m kind of looking at numbers like 270 x £15 average = £4050 this is if you had them all on 4 weekly ,so £4050 approx every 4 weeks

i obviously know that some customers might want 8 weekly and possibly some jobs might be less than £15 and some jobs might be more than £15 but just wanted some honest advice on here how long did rounds take to build up?

Again I know it all boils down to how hard you work and quality but I could put my full attention to this 6 or 7 days a week cleaning and canvassing to get me going

my only worry is money running out,i know some people starting off get a part time job a couple of days a week just to pay their bills until the round builds up so they can do it full time

Am I talking nonsense with the above? 

Any my advice please 👍

Den

If you have the cash mayb buy a small round at least you will have some monthly income. 

Part Timer

Not nonsense, just questions from someone new at the game. Maybe a fellow Mancunian could give you a better input, all I would say is you're starting from a very firm financial footing and seem to be starting with the right work ethos. Possibly buying a round ot paying for some leads might help you get up and running quicker, I'm sure @Green Pro Clean Ltdwould be happy to help.

Pjj

Number of customers is irrelevant , it’s the amount of money you need to earn that’s the important thing ,you could do a thousand jobs at a pound each or one job for a thousand pounds , I think having a minimum charge is a good thing ,also don’t put all your eggs in one basket with one company , also frequency will affect how many customers you need if doing 4 weekly work you won’t need as many as if you do them all 8 weekly again it’s all about what you are charging . Personally I would rather do ten jobs at £10 each = 100 rather than 20 jobs at £5 each for the same money , 

building a round is time consuming again it depends where you are in the country and how many other cleaners there are what they are charging and the quality of there work , try and offer something that others don’t , maybe cleaning the garage door , porch plastics or something similar , canvassing yourself is also good as the potential customer is seeing you not someone else just trying to get any old job to line there pockets sell your services to the house holder , gutter facia soffit plastic cleans , when doing the windows clean a couple of meters of them do a good job so it stands out like a soar thumb many customers don’t realise how dirty they are and will then get you to do it all , they will then recomend you to family and friends I started off one day a week and it took me 6 months to get to 5 days a week but where I live there was very little competition 20 years ago 

Incheck

My advice would be, if you have the capital, invest in a diverse set up (e.g. pressure washer, wfp equipment, maybe a vac or at least pro gutter tools.
This way if you’re going to canvass you can look at what NEEDS doing. If the plastics are green, target that, if the driveway needs doing, target that, weeds in the gutter? Window frames turned grey? You get my drift?
However, if you feel window cleaning is the way, then set your standard schedule, e.g. monthly, or 6 weekly, and stick to it.
Don’t leave it longer than 6 weeks, as the windows will get noticeably bad, and it’s a long wait for next round when the money isn’t coming in!
Don’t muck around with 8 weeks, 12 weeks, quarterly and all that jazz as you’ll end up in a right pickle. The round is the round and deal with anything else as a one off charged at a premium.
I have no problem with people ringing me as and when they wish, but i am inclined to charge more for it, & i will then fit them in as and when it suits me. you can’t just be available at the drop of a hat, any business that has paid staff on standby idle waiting for the phone to ring then...🤷‍♂️ the money is going to seep out of it in no time.
Avoid racing around to answer the phone when you’re in the middle of something as you’ll make mistakes. A polite answer phone message saying “i’m either busy on a job right now or driving, please leave your name, address and requests, & i’ll get back to you when i can” have a big diary, and write everrrything down when you’re on the phone. Mental notes and verbal promises are no good because you WILL forget
you don’t particularly want the phone ringing 24/7 with your regulars saying “can you do my windows please” as you’d never be off the phone. So stick to reminder texts, & don’t tolerate messing about for fear of losing customers. You set the schedule, because you are the boss.
I wouldn’t worry about customer numbers so much. What you earn is what matters. Remember, when you’re a solo guy with no secretary, more customers means more phone calls, more admin, more payments to keep track of, it can get complicated very quickly.
Some people may not agree with me but i would say for newbies, the days of the classic compact window cleaning round are over.
Whatever the size of job/type of job or number of customers involved, the ultimate goal is to hit your financial target.
Customers on our rounds are all good as gold and know how we work as they’ve been with us a long time, but i’m not looking to expand the rounds now as i find it too much mentally to cope with.
Today was quiet but we did a window clean on a large detached house and a gutter clearance on a semi. Combined £170 and we were done by mid-day.
Quiet as it was, i prefer one off, higher value jobs now. The traffic is just getting horrendous and its not viable to be doing 20-30 window cleans a day for me as a lot of time is sat behind the wheel
Hope this helps dude? Sorry if it was a bit long winded i just thought i’d try and help a newbie out a bit coz its not easy like

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Pjj
1 minute ago, Incheck said:

My advice would be, if you have the capital, invest in a diverse set up (e.g. pressure washer, wfp equipment, maybe a vac or at least pro gutter tools.
This way if you’re going to canvass you can look at what NEEDS doing. If the plastics are green, target that, if the driveway needs doing, target that, weeds in the gutter? Window frames turned grey? You get my drift?
However, if you feel window cleaning is the way, then set your standard schedule, e.g. monthly, or 6 weekly, and stick to it.
Don’t leave it longer than 6 weeks, as the windows will get noticeably bad, and it’s a long wait for next round when the money isn’t coming in!
Don’t muck around with 8 weeks, 12 weeks, quarterly and all that jazz as you’ll end up in a right pickle. The round is the round and deal with anything else as a one off charged at a premium.
I have no problem with people ringing me as and when they wish, but i am inclined to charge more for it, & i will then fit them in as and when it suits me. you can’t just be available at the drop of a hat, any business that has paid staff on standby idle waiting for the phone to ring then...🤷‍♂️ the money is going to seep out of it in no time.
Avoid racing around to answer the phone when you’re in the middle of something as you’ll make mistakes. A polite answer phone message saying “i’m either busy on a job right now or driving, please leave your name, address and requests, & i’ll get back to you when i can” have a big diary, and write everrrything down when you’re on the phone. Mental notes and verbal promises are no good because you WILL forget emoji51.png
you don’t particularly want the phone ringing 24/7 with your regulars saying “can you do my windows please” as you’d never be off the phone. So stick to reminder texts, & don’t tolerate messing about for fear of losing customers. You set the schedule, because you are the boss.
I wouldn’t worry about customer numbers so much. What you earn is what matters. Remember, when you’re a solo guy with no secretary, more customers means more phone calls, more admin, more payments to keep track of, it can get complicated very quickly.
Some people may not agree with me but i would say for newbies, the days of the classic compact window cleaning round are over.
Whatever the size of job/type of job or number of customers involved, the ultimate goal is to hit your financial target.
Customers on our rounds are all good as gold and know how we work as they’ve been with us a long time, but i’m not looking to expand the rounds now as i find it too much mentally to cope with.
Today was quiet but we did a window clean on a large detached house and a gutter clearance on a semi. Combined £170 and we were done by mid-day.
Quiet as it was, i prefer one off, higher value jobs now. The traffic is just getting horrendous and its not viable to be doing 20-30 window cleans a day for me as a lot of time is sat behind the wheel emoji53.png
Hope this helps dude? Sorry if it was a bit long winded i just thought i’d try and help a newbie out a bit coz its not easy like

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Some very sensible advice hear , I would only add get a good priced regular window cleaning round and view the one off jobs as a bonus 

Green Pro Clean Ltd

Thanks for the mention @Part Timer 👍

Round building and customer acquisition is something we specialize in @Stedon so please feel free to give me a call anytime 07581128101 and we'll be happy to help.  You can also check out our services in thr sponsors sections.  

scottish cleaning service

I would say I have nearly have a week's work every month. Would like 2 weeks work a month and the rest of the time I can do the add-ons. I started with one customer 18 months ago and I added a customer or two per month but now its taking off. I believe its just a waiting game where you have to have patience.

Stedon

Thanks Darren at Green pro yes I have heard of your services and watched your you tube vids, I haven’t started at present it’s something I need to decide on as currently I am employed that pays decent money but too much stress ! I suppose we are never happy 😃 it’s something I need to make my mind up and if so go full at it in new year so yes your leads could be a very good investment 

thanks