Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

hate the sun!!!!!

trevor peacock

yesterday was such a warm very bright day in Littlehampton.

I cleaned a big B&B on the seafront, done it for years never had a problem, yesterday the sun was so bright and low in the sky I had to wear sunglasses.

Finished, put my gear away, knocked for my money, glanced right at the large bay window.

What a mess, covered in streaks, looked awful. The chap answered the door, we had our normal friendly chat, then I said how bright the sun was and how difficult it was so if there were any problems let me know.

Probably should have done it again but I know the owner and if he wasn't happy I know he'd ring me, nothing!!

I suppose it could have been inside or did it look worse because of the weather.

They've always come up lovely in the past.

Any thoughts?

You definitely using 000ppm? And you give it a good brush and and even better rinse? Was that a 'problem' window - leaky seals etc..?

yesterday was such a warm very bright day in Littlehamptonï»ż.

I cleaned a big B&B on the seafront, done it for years never had a problem, yesterday the sun was so bright and low in the sky I had to wear sunglasses.

Finished, put my gear away, knocked for my money, glanced right at the large bay window.

What a mess, covered in streaks, looked awful. The chap answered the door, we had our normal friendly chat, then I said how bright the sun was and how difficult it was so if there were any problems let me know.

Probably should have done it again but I know the owner and if he wasn't happy I know he'd ring me, nothing!!

I suppose it could have been inside or did it look worse because of the weather.

Any thoughts?
Yesterday we had the first of much ice to come. I'd rather have your problem than mine. ?

Low sunlight will show up any problems and make them look worse than they would normally appear 

Any thoughts?

What soap are you using if you don't mind me asking @trevor peacock

Think a evening of watching ‘how to’ videos on YouTube regarding Wfp window cleaning is in order @trevor peacock

Na probably just a rubber seal has gone. 99% of streaks is because of the seal I’d say.

Hopefully they’ll have the curtains closed on sunny days from now on lol 

Love winter sunny days as I find I get more walk ups, yep the low sun shows up everything so hopefully will have a few leading up to Christmas for a bit of cream!

Any thoughts?
Reckon it's the inside as you have suggested, I'm sure you already know your problematic windows and if this asnt flagged up before.  happened to all of us many times I thought the same double checked and found the inside dirty including runs.

Been thinking this for a while now and in direct sunlight some windows look horrendous. We all think we do a really good job but we probably dont this isn't on every house but I have a handful where no matter what you do you'll get streaks and there only visible when the sun's directly on the glass. Its driven me mad on some days for instance the sun was shining directly on the glass I rinsed and rinsed and no matter what when it dried it left streaks yet done it yesterday on a cloudy day and they have dried fine. Still don't know how to avoid this. I just think the reach and wash isn't always the best but for 90% of houses it's fine. Untill I get a complaint I just get on with it now as I've drove myself crazy some days worrying and thinking it's my technique when I know full well it's the window where the rubbers are on the outside and the sun perishes the rubber. Sometimes I think a wfp brush is too soft as no matter how hard you scrub the top rubber it don't clean it as if you get your ladder out and run a microfiber cloth along it I guarantee it will be black. That's why now on the ones I know will leave streaks I use and old pole with a fitting I can attach a mop too and scrub the rubber before I wash them. You'll be surprised how much black comes off the rubber even on a regular maintaince clean. And I'm convinced it's this. 

Back