Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A Quick Introduction

congaman

Good Evening fellow window cleaners.

I've just joined up. Been cleaning window for thirty odd years (on and off) and have only ever used Traditional method. I've just started to work with a guy who uses WFP system, but can't say I'm really sold on it, and neither are many of my customers. Can't deny it's quicker and so much safer though. Sure beats climbing ladders! My first question is: has anyone else on here recently made the transition from Trad to WPF after using the former for many years? I'd be interested to read your comments, especially any advice on how to convince all of my customers that it's the way forward! 

Good Evening fellow window cleaners.

I've just joined up. Been cleaning window for thirty odd years (on and off) and have only ever used Traditional method. I've just started to work with a guy who uses WFP system, but can't say I'm really sold on it, and neither are many of my customers. Can't deny it's quicker and so much safer though. Sure beats climbing ladders! My first question is: has anyone else on here recently made the transition from Trad to WPF after using the former for many years? I'd be interested to read your comments, especially any advice on how to convince all of my customers that it's the way forward! 
How to convince customers. 

I would tell them that it's border-line illegal to use ladders(a known high risk) when there's a safe alternative. You're not prepared to keep risking life and limb. If you were to fall off a ladder on their property you're insurance company could well try and make them partly responsible for allowing it on their property when there is a safe alternative. This may or may not be factually true, but it's what I tell them and it makes them think. I only use ladders when there is no other way, such as emptying gutters and downpipes(I don't have a vac). It's your business and your health and safety.

Be strong but polite with customers. If they won't accept it there names go on the To be replaced list, for a time that suits you. 

⚓?

Many of the customers I spoke to didn't think the WFP cleans their windows. They don't realise that its pure water that is going through the pole. The good thing about the WFP method is the frames and sills get cleaned as well which is a good thing to point out. After a while the customers just get used to it unless they were wanting to quit anyway and use it as an excuse.

I have only ever been WFP but I know the guy who used to do my mums house just converted one day. He turned up and cleaned with the WFP and then told her what the score was. She shrugged and paid him. If a customer gets into deep conversation about it then perhaps its worth discussing but for the bulk of them you could just do it. At the end of the day they pay you to clean their windows. As long as you get enough practice and can do a good job with WFP then there should be no argument. Might be an idea to clean WFP on dry days so they actually see it drys spotless though.

I have recently converted to WFP after being trad for just over 10 years. I understand your dilemma and i have to say that what really helped me was building MY confidence in the system before i could then pass it onto my customers. I started off wfp the ups from a backpack about a year ago..i reasoned with my customers that it was much safer and alot of my customers seemed to genuinely care about my safety. Plus they still got their downstairs (which they look through most) done the way they were used to. After about a year of doing the ups WFP and downs traditionally..i have now moved over to WFP everything. The customers are already used to seeing me with a pole and both me and the customer have confidence in the system that it will dry clear. All the best with the conversion..i wish I'd done it sooner.

I was trad for 9 years then went wfp and in the village, I grew up were they were more old-fashioned let's say and quite a few really weren't happy about the switch for two reasons they liked the windows dried and in all honesty early on my technique wasn't the best so the results maybe weren't the best on all jobs, now almost 10 years ago there wasn't youtube videos or a forum like this with countless advice. 

The one thing you need to master is technique ensuring that all the frames are given a thorough clean which will take 2-3 times longer on a first clean, If you haven't put this into practice then this is your major stumbling block in changing the customer's mindset, I have seen wfper's who hardly touch the frames and have been cleaning for some years now. Also, customers have to consider your own health and safety I assume you are maybe in your 50's so longterm going up a ladder isn't best in actual fact it ain't great for anyone due to the potential risk of injury so mention that in when talking to them about the switch.    

Thanks very much for all your replies. I have mentioned the safety aspect, especially given that the way H&S is going in the UK it won't be long before anyone is not allowed to climb a ladder anywhere without a harness! Everyone agrees with me on the safety aspect, and, as Iron Giant suggested, I have told customers that I'm getting too old (I'm now 57) to be running up and down ladders (not technically true because I'm still very fit for my age) because I've come this far with no serious accidents, and I don't want to leave my future health and safety to fate.  Because WFP is much quicker a couple of clients have suggested I drop the price which is a bit cheeky because it costs money for the pure water. My work is very well priced and I have established an excellent client base over the years. I think it's the initial shock of coming out to find all their window sills dripping wet and some spots on the windows, something which I never left while doing the Trad method. Most people have been understanding, some have asked that we do WFP upstairs and use Trad downstairs as a compromise, but most are fine with the changeover thus far. 

On another note I'm in the process of actually selling the business. I have at five years accounts with a certified chartered accountant, all of my work is on Aworka for the buyer to see and I have other records to prove income such as my bank account. I am personally introducing him to customers and working with him for three months before he buys the business. I have always worked alone so no one else (like an employee) will 'take' the work back once it's sold, plus I am moving away so there is no way I will 'reclaim' the work should customers be unhappy with the new guy. Obviously he must allow for about 10% loss when a business changes hands for various reasons.

So one other question: how much should I sell the business for? I see on another site that most are going for between three and ten months monthly income. I'm asking for six because it's well established, compact and I have built up a lot of good will over the years. My present business has been running for 10 years.

Thanks everyone once again. 

You will have no bother selling your round on here but you need to list it on the market place listing I think.
Thanks for the reply. I already have a buyer whom I'm showing around. I want income x 6 months for the business which seems to be the average going rate for well established rounds. I know the buyer quite well. We've worked together for about a year. He works with a good friend of mine as well so he's trustworthy. I'm thinking of asking for part payment followed by the remaining balance over a 12 month period. Can ask your opinion (and anyone else who'd care to comment?) on this potential arrangement? 

Thanks for the reply. I already have a buyer whom I'm showing around. I want income x 6 months for the business which seems to be the average going rate for well established rounds. I know the buyer quite well. We've worked together for about a year. He works with a good friend of mine as well so he's trustworthy. I'm thinking of asking for part payment followed by the remaining balance over a 12 month period. Can ask your opinion (and anyone else who'd care to comment?) on this potential arrangement? 
If he's not a blood relative then I would tell him it's payment in full or no round !!
Owed money from friends never works out.
All the best
[emoji106]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

If he's not a blood relative then I would tell him it's payment in full or no round !!
Owed money from friends never works out.
All the best
emoji106.png

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thanks Big Sul... Yep, I think you're spot on! 

Back