Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Phone scams........

monkeyman

?Everyone be aware of a phone scam. Eg this is your EE accounts manger at ... 

They then go on to explain a new business tariff that would be a better option for you. If you are to sign up your locked into a new contract for 3 years with no cooling off period and endless hassle.

It's called "slamming"  there seems to be a large surge of this at the moment aiming at small business'

Slamming is a term in the mobile phone industry where the company signs you up for something without your consent. I worked for a brief time for a company called Get Connected. The lads from wales and some parts of the midlands may recognise the name. They only sold Orange contracts at the time and made their stores look like the Orange shops. They used to break the rules and regs and probably the law all the time. They asked me to Google mobile numbers and see if they were on Orange and due for an upgrade, if they were I was to call the person and try to get them to upgrade. You are covered by the distance selling regulations so can opt out of any agreement. The way they got around this was if you opened the phone box. Once you open the phone you technically waive your rights to a return.

If you end up in a tricky position threaten to call Offcom or the Communications Ombudsman. If they don't resolve your issue after that then actually complain to them. They nearly always find in the customers favour in cases like that and the company is automatically charged £500 regardless of the outcome.

This is similar, they make you believe they are your current supplier, and are signing you up to a new contract. But they are actually moving you to a new provider tell you it's a 18 month contract when it's actually 36. The changes are not transparent at all. It's a complete scam.

Has anyone yet heard of the scam yet

when you ring up someone saying that they have reason to believe that their current window cleaner doesn’t do a proper job and is being investigated by the tax man, and you’re ringing up to take over from him .... ?? could be onto a winner lol

?Everyone be aware of a phone scam. Eg this is your EE accounts manger at ... 

They then go on to explain a new business tariff that would be a better option for you. If you are to sign up your locked into a new contract for 3 years with no cooling off period and endless hassle.

It's called "slamming"  there seems to be a large surge of this at the moment aiming at small business'
I had quite a few calls last year over a period of months they would try and tell me they could get me a better deal and a better phone, I told them they had no hope as a mate of mine works at EE and I get a 30% discount off my tariff and I was a good way into my contract they even said they would buy my contract out ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I don't know the number I don't answer the phone, if they're genuine they will either leave a message or send a text. Sick to death of cold calls regarding injuries, PPI etc, even ringing from mobile numbers nowadays 

If I don't know the number I don't answer the phone, if they're genuine they will either leave a message or send a text. Sick to death of cold calls regarding injuries, PPI etc, even ringing from mobile numbers nowadays 
I was just about to say that. You try and call the number back and it doesn't ring, doesn't go to voicemail, just says user busy! I don't completely understand what the blag is there as when i've answered the mobile ones no one ever speaks.

This is similar, they make you believe they are your current supplier, and are signing you up to a new contract. But they are actually moving you to a new provider tell you it's a 18 month contract when it's actually 36. The changes are not transparent at all. It's a complete scam.
They would have to be working on behalf of your current supplier, to move your number to a new network you would have to call your current service provider and get a PAC code. They will be legitimately upgrading your current contract and signing you up for a further 36 months while telling you its for 12/24 or however long. You are legally covered by the distance selling act until you open the box of the new phone. Unfortunately a lot of people would just sign up and not check the contract details sent by their current service provider until 18 months has passed at which point its too late!

A guy in the phone shop told me that all the stuff you put on facebook is owned by facebook! You have no rights to it, so I left facebook after that.
Thats true. If you delete your account they have a right to retain what you have uploaded. This was an attempt to ensure they could keep pictures people were tagged in if the person who uploaded it leaves the site. They can't claim ownership of copyrighted things of course but if you upload pictures for business purposes say, they own those.

Thats true. If you delete your account they have a right to retain what you have uploaded. This was an attempt to ensure they could keep pictures people were tagged in if the person who uploaded it leaves the site. They can't claim ownership of copyrighted things of course but if you upload pictures for business purposes say, they own those.

I'm just waiting for a child or teenager taking facebook to court for having photos of them on their site without their permission. There will come a test case which will set a precedent.

Thought you would have been grateful of the calls  thought the elderly enjoy the attention. 

Latest Posts

Back