Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A brief introduction

Davy G

Hi folks, my first post. Just under five years In business. I've learned a lot. A mix of self taught and learning from the posts by the contributers on the forum. A big thank you to all those who have posted advice on here. I have gained a fair amount of knowledge and experience and I would be more than happy to help others where I can. 

Davy G⚓?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Davy! Can definitely see some similarities - largely self taught myself! Takes some work but it sure does feel rewarding ?

Thanks for your question SCS.

I'm finding that the business is growing steadily but strongly. I took my time thinking about the strategies before I started. For example ; I was in my late fifties (I'm now 62) so this is the last career for me and it has to work. Previous jobs having included : running a hot dog van, driving delivery vans and artics and working on pipelines and roadworks. 

I built a DIY base system, processing into an ibc tank at home with the help of Mike at Varitech, this supports a two man 650 litre van system, also DIY which is filled from the ibc each evening using a transfer pump . I decided I was going to learn all aspects of the trade that were within my capabilities. The initial setting up of the equipment was a real stress with different filters and different size and colour pipes and waste water "what's that all about !?" But bit by bit it started to make sense after several phone calls to Varitech. 

The next problem was getting customers, and how to price them. I was determined I wasn't going to deliberately under cut anyone. That wouldn't be right and anyway driving down prices harms us all. I found the canvassing stressful and it took a year or two to get going properly. However each job gained is a seed sown. Sometimes it will lead to a customer's neighbour, friend or family member also becoming a customer (yet further seeds sown). Sometimes you can be doing one house in a street and never gain another in the same street. 

I will say that this is the most content I've been career wise. In spite of my age I am fit and I'm not worried about physical work or working in bad weather. My wife manages the round and my son works with us as a full partner and it all seems to work well. 

This is quite a long answer I'm afraid but there's no point in telling half a story. 

⚓?

Yeah mate. ?Although I wouldn't have done it at all if it wasn't for wfp. The thought of using ladders all the time with the sheer hard work and constant risk involved would be a no no for me. I'm happy to use them a few times a week for gutter empties but not for cleaning, and I know I wouldn't be anything like as quick using trad methods. I don't use trad but full credit those that do. I don't really know the history of wfp in the UK but I'm guessing it's within the last ten or so years. My father used three section, whippy and wooden ladders in the 60s and thought nothing of it. Quite honestly it would have terrified me. 

Two weeks ago I seen a couple of old chaps with wooden ladders, buckets and cloths hanging from their Jerkins. Made me laugh, must be going for decades. I bought one of those Jerkin waistcoat things and the pockets are great. I keep all my cloths in them. Don't use many cloths now with the liquidator because I don't detail anymore.

Two weeks ago I seen a couple of old chaps with wooden ladders, buckets and cloths hanging from their Jerkins. Made me laugh, must be going for decades. I bought one of those Jerkin waistcoat things and the pockets are great. I keep all my cloths in them. Don't use many cloths now with the liquidator because I don't detail anymore.
Jeez! I haven't seen a leather jerkin for decades. The dustmen used to wear them when they were carrying the old metal bins. ?

Today I seen another window cleaner van, there seems to be a lot going around. When I was doing recycling, I didn't see many or I wasn't looking for them. It maybe because I have changed to window cleaning.

Back