Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Mounting the pump and controller

P4dstar

Premium Member
I have a steel frame for my tank. It is held together with bolts I haven't seen anywhere else before. They hold the corner brackets in tight with the frame itself. I am considering adding a second pump for a 2 man system and I was thinking of bolting the mounted pump to the frame with more of these but does anyone know what they are and where I can get them from?

Screenshot 2018-12-07 18.35.25.png

Second question, doesn't seem worth opening a new thread as its all related to the original question. I bought my pump and spring controller allready mounted on a board. Can anyone identify what material the backing board is?

Screenshot 2018-12-07 18.40.08.png

I have a steel frame for my tank. It is held together with bolts I haven't seen anywhere else before. They hold the corner brackets in tight with the frame itself. I am considering adding a second pump for a 2 man system and I was thinking of bolting the mounted pump to the frame with more of these but does anyone know what they are and where I can get them from?

View attachment 15277

Second question, doesn't seem worth opening a new thread as its all related to the original question. I bought my pump and spring controller allready mounted on a board. Can anyone identify what material the backing board is?

View attachment 15278
Unistrut cable management do these nuts

https://www.unistrut.co.uk/index.php?part=PNP06-PNP12A&M1=Support Systems&M2=Channel Nuts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNISTRUT-TYPE-CHANNEL-NUTS-M6-M8-M10-M12-NO-SPRING-SHORT-LONG-SPRING/361131498814?hash=item54151d5d3e:m:mIDOfIGwZfpA0KyC3AMZoZA:rk:2:pf:0

Last edited by a moderator:
@spruce to the rescue as always. Legend, thanks dude. Its cool that they do them with springs too, that would be much easier than the standard ones.

I've done a bit of research and I think the backing board is a standard mounting board they use in photography. Available at hobby craft. I've got a spare pump lying around so I just need another spring controller and I can get to work mounting it. Any idea if it would cause issues being connected to the same leisure battery as the other pump?

I have my flojet pump on my facelift with electric reel and recently added a second cheap Chinese pump and manual reel that my son uses both are connected to a 3 year old 75ah leisure battery not probs but I do charge every night. 

I've got a 110ah battery so I should be fine. Electrics ain't my thing, I was worried that connecting 2 things could blow fuses or something. Probably sounds stupid to someone who knows how it works. I quite like the idea of mounting the pump but adding some extra wire so the controllers can be just inside the back door. I currently use a squeegee to turn the pump on and off ?

I’m the last person to advise wiring ? my mate wiredmine in he’s a clever git just remember to put a inline fuse from the controller to battery close to the battery I think that was what he said lol. 

Spruce with be along to give you a accurate, correct and safe description on how to wire it in safely. 

I've got a 110ah battery so I should be fine. Electrics ain't my thing, I was worried that connecting 2 things could blow fuses or something. Probably sounds stupid to someone who knows how it works. I quite like the idea of mounting the pump but adding some extra wire so the controllers can be just inside the back door. I currently use a squeegee to turn the pump on and off ?
On my leisure battery I have two pumps, electric reel and split relay fuses everywhere attached just glad it doesn’t go wrong lol

I’m the last person to advise wiring ? my mate wiredmine in he’s a clever git just remember to put a inline fuse from the controller to battery close to the battery I think that was what he said lol. 

Spruce with be along to give you a accurate, correct and safe description on how to wire it in safely. 

On my leisure battery I have two pumps, electric reel and split relay fuses everywhere attached just glad it doesn’t go wrong lol
If someone told me 2 years ago that today I would be confident enough to even consider this type of thing I would have laughed in their face. Anything beyond putting a shelf up has always been beyond me until I started this. There are still things I ain't willing to touch. When I needed to bolt the tank frame to the floor of the van I called in a mechanic and i'm glad I did, all sorts of potential issues with channels or something he started on about. I've had a split charge in the garage for well over a year now, keep meaning to install that too.

There is a fuse in between the pump and controller, perhaps that's why they're always so close together. I did see one mounted to the side of a van somewhere once but he moved the entire pump and controller over together.

@spruce to the rescue as always. Legend, thanks dude. Its cool that they do them with springs too, that would be much easier than the standard ones.

I've done a bit of research and I think the backing board is a standard mounting board they use in photography. Available at hobby craft. I've got a spare pump lying around so I just need another spring controller and I can get to work mounting it. Any idea if it would cause issues being connected to the same leisure battery as the other pump?
As per @Den

You could just mount to controller and pump on a piece of ply painted with primer and black gloss to match the original one.

I would first work out/measure how much cable you need from your battery to each contoller and then from each controller to each pump.

To save cabling you could choose to run 1 length of twin core from your battery to near where the controllers are going to be mounted. 33 amp 3.0mm2 cable is more than adequate to run 2 pumps on full throttle. (Its over spec'ed but fits in with the fuse holder amperage.)

You could then run 2 lengths of twin 2.0mm2, one length from each controller to each pump.

Example from this supplier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Metre-x-3-0mm2-Thinwall-Twin-Core-Two-Core-2-Core-Cable-Red-Black-33-Amp-Wire/192374581409?hash=item2cca6b28a1:g:pukAAOSws0JaXd1q:rk:1:pf:0

Now the first thing you need to do is get some ring terminal connectors and a fuse holder. You will also need some crimping pliers.

Ring terminal connectors will go on the battery.

Example;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Shrink-Ring-Terminals-Electrical-Heatshrink-Connector-Eyelet-Terminal-Eye/121926284624?hash=item1c635f7550:m:m7P9c11GFxt-LQLQGfWM9WQ:rk:2:pf:0

fuse holder. This should be mounted as close to the positive battery terminal on the positive feed cable as you can put it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Midi-Car-Inline-Fuse-Holder-With-2-x-30-Amp-Midi-Fuses-Terminals-And-Heat-Shrink/322794825826?hash=item4b28122862:g:2c0AAOSw1m9avT3e:rk:2:pf:0

I would run the cable down to a strip connector (suggest 30 amp) close to the controllers and use that as a 'junction box/bus bar.'

Example;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Way-connector-strip-3-6-30-Amp-electrical-choc-Block-Terminal-Connection/131559451930?hash=item1ea18ded1a:m:my6DcXk8QYxwKh-S-P73JSA:rk:2:pf:0

Your battery wires to each controller will be connected in to this feed from the battery.

That's the first 2 terminals in the strip connector done.

Then you need 4 more terminals in the strip connector, a positive and negative from each controller and then the cable to each pump.

You will need some more strip connectors to join your new cable runs to your pumps.

Thanks @spruce. Way too complicated for me. My current pump and controller came pre wired and pre mounted. It has enough cable to connect to the battery. I have all but hidden the cable in the tank frame. There is an access hatch which it is fed through into the cab as the battery is under the passenger seat. I was thinking I could literally extend the length of cable between the pump and controller, I wouldn't even know where to start with those other cable types and fuses mate. Maybe when i've learned a bit more.

Back