Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

GoCardless customer details

Dane

Hi all,

I just wondered where people stand with being given customers details over the phone for you to set it up for them.

As on one of greens videos he mentions that people sign up to car insurance etc etc etc so it’s the same sort of thing but I just wondered if we are allowed legally to collect this?

Nobody has questioned me by the way on this, I just see how some people (including myself) have a few who aren’t on GC for whatever reason, what if we were to say “Ring me with XYZ details and I can fill the form in for you”.. hope that makes sense?

Just an idea I may push in 2019 for those dragging their heals but aren’t actually avoiding payment... I just want to control payment time scales better with some.

Thanks in advance

Dane

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

If you're inputting the details straight into the GC system and not storing them elsewhere I can't see where you would be going wrong. If you stored the details to set the DD back up if the customer cancels it you would more than likely be breaking the rules. Not sure about GC terms and conditions though as they don't allow you to manually add customers you have to send referrals.

I have a payments page on my website where the customer can sign up. I know @Iron Giant and @Green Pro Clean Ltd have this also. Happy to send you a link to mine in a message if you think it will help.

If you're inputting the details straight into the GC system and not storing them elsewhere I can't see where you would be going wrong. If you stored the details to set the DD back up if the customer cancels it you would more than likely be breaking the rules. Not sure about GC terms and conditions though as they don't allow you to manually add customers you have to send referrals.
I have a payments page on my website where the customer can sign up. I know [mention=3115]Iron Giant[/mention] and [mention=1930]Green Pro Clean Ltd[/mention] have this also. Happy to send you a link to mine in a message if you think it will help.

Yeah that’s where my confusion was on the legalities mate, I also have it on my website - will PM you a link (please bare with if it’s a mess, having a revamp over the holidays with it including the removal of accepting cheques).. in my eyes it’s an easy option to sign up for and as mentioned every other bill is pretty much compared over the Internet then signed up for or done over the phone.

Ive had about half sign up for it, just the ones who say “I don’t know how to do things like that”

The thing is people who are signing need to be notified of upcoming payments and this involves them providing an email address typically which is the way I have always had people sign up over the last 4-5 years as in having the Pay With GoCardless widget/button on my payments page, So really not sure if they are providing email address and bank details why you need to do it for them or am I missing something.

The thing is people who are signing need to be notified of upcoming payments and this involves them providing an email address typically which is the way I have always had people sign up over the last 4-5 years as in having the Pay With GoCardless widget/button on my payments page, So really not sure if they are providing email address and bank details why you need to do it for them or am I missing something.

I think Darren once said about just signing them up on the spot and asking for the details. Basically following your own link. Taking it out of their hands so to speak. Saves waiting for them to follow the link etc.

I think Darren once said about just signing them up on the spot and asking for the details. Basically following your own link. Taking it out of their hands so to speak. Saves waiting for them to follow the link etc.
I have a vague memory of that now, Personally, I just wouldn't give bank details to just anyone which is how I see it and others may, at least with GC widget the client is only revealing their details to an authorised company with military grade online security who processes payments for some of the biggest household names as well as their window cleaner. 

Yes this was pretty much where I was at with my query, whether it’s over the phone or signing them up on the doorstep.

As mentioned too, I wouldn’t hand my details over to someone I didn’t know. Just wondered if anyone has had success by going down this route or had the door / phone slammed on them.

Cheers lads

Yes this was pretty much where I was at with my query, whether it’s over the phone or signing them up on the doorstep.

As mentioned too, I wouldn’t hand my details over to someone I didn’t know. Just wondered if anyone has had success by going down this route or had the door / phone slammed on them.

Cheers lads

I had to switch bank accounts so the clients I wanted shifting onto GC were provided with a letter informing them it was GC or nowt basically all in a well-drafted letter only had one person who didn't want to switch but to be honest I've known them most of my life and they were only late payers once or twice so kept them on.

I had to switch bank accounts so the clients I wanted shifting onto GC were provided with a letter informing them it was GC or nowt basically all in a well-drafted letter only had one person who didn't want to switch but to be honest I've known them most of my life and they were only late payers once or twice so kept them on.

Yeah I’m sure I’d survive if I didn’t get them on it, it’s not that I don’t get the money from them I think I’m just trying to get everything too perfect with my round with everyone on GC.. I’ll keep trying but I won’t ask for their details to do the form for them.

Thanks guys

I have a vague memory of that now, Personally, I just wouldn't give bank details to just anyone which is how I see it and others may, at least with GC widget the client is only revealing their details to an authorised company with military grade online security who processes payments for some of the biggest household names as well as their window cleaner. 
I think it all depends on the size of the business. You have been at this a long time and are well known in your town, you're not some random guy doing a bit of cold calling and trying to get someones details. Darren has a couple of vans and will be well recognised in his area. I honestly don't think customers would have an issue passing you their account number and sort code as you have built that brand. I would probably be more likely to run into the problems that you're thinking about. There is very little you can do with an account number and sort code other than set up a DD and pay money in. Also you're quite transparent about it, the details are on your website so you make no bones about the way you accept payment.

There's a printable paper way of doing this which means the customer has all the legal details for the mandate - however, it seems quite lengthy as you have to then take this to the bank etc afterwards. A few of our customers have gone through the sign-up form with customers at the door, but as mentioned by others, it should be connected to an email address so that the customer receives notifications of payments etc https://gocardless.com/direct-debit/mandates/ 

I think it all depends on the size of the business. You have been at this a long time and are well known in your town, you're not some random guy doing a bit of cold calling and trying to get someones details. Darren has a couple of vans and will be well recognised in his area. I honestly don't think customers would have an issue passing you their account number and sort code as you have built that brand. I would probably be more likely to run into the problems that you're thinking about. There is very little you can do with an account number and sort code other than set up a DD and pay money in. Also you're quite transparent about it, the details are on your website so you make no bones about the way you accept payment.
Most likely previously known as the flash one with the L200, Yes mate I guess I have built up a brand identity so there isn't any mistaking who I am but the whole dd thing for small business owners is still fairly new, for any walk ups I quote who look a little surprised at dd I jokingly say I know it's a bit advanced for a window cleaner and mention if they win the lottery and decide to move across the other side of the world they can cancel just like any other dd I think the odd one-liners and dropping the big names in all helps as I am sure you know previously been in sales 

I also make it clear I am easily contactable and encourage them to read through all the info on my website and should they have any questions at all they should n't hesitate to contact me at all, I know you know this but so should everyone else they should find their best way to sell it to clients as it ain't impossible as some people assume.

Most likely previously known as the flash one with the L200, Yes mate I guess I have built up a brand identity so there isn't any mistaking who I am but the whole dd thing for small business owners is still fairly new, for any walk ups I quote who look a little surprised at dd I jokingly say I know it's a bit advanced for a window cleaner and mention if they win the lottery and decide to move across the other side of the world they can cancel just like any other dd I think the odd one-liners and dropping the big names in all helps as I am sure you know previously been in sales 

I also make it clear I am easily contactable and encourage them to read through all the info on my website and should they have any questions at all they should n't hesitate to contact me at all, I know you know this but so should everyone else they should find their best way to sell it to clients as it ain't impossible as some people assume.
It's just the objection handling I struggle with mate. Some of them think i'm talking about BACS, some of them have come back after the sale is agreed and said ''I wish to pay via bank transfer'' and normally they end up paying by Stripe. I love a bit of BACS from a trustworthy customer, no fees and its in the account immediately but what they actually mean is ''I want to be in control''. I'm not gonna let it upset me too much, the bulk of them go for GC and I only have the odd non payer, less than £100 in non payments since I started out. Sometimes I just can't be bothered knocking the door in the evening for my £10-15, I know I should I just CBA.

It's just the objection handling I struggle with mate. Some of them think i'm talking about BACS, some of them have come back after the sale is agreed and said ''I wish to pay via bank transfer'' and normally they end up paying by Stripe. I love a bit of BACS from a trustworthy customer, no fees and its in the account immediately but what they actually mean is ''I want to be in control''. I'm not gonna let it upset me too much, the bulk of them go for GC and I only have the odd non payer, less than £100 in non payments since I started out. Sometimes I just can't be bothered knocking the door in the evening for my £10-15, I know I should I just CBA.
Taking away other payment options apart from the cash payers and the odd well trusted cheque payer is the best option, although having made the transition myself I do fully appreciate that it's easier said than done. 

Taking away other payment options apart from the cash payers and the odd well trusted cheque payer is the best option, although having made the transition myself I do fully appreciate that it's easier said than done. 
I'm preparing for it. Once I reach my 400 customer target i'm gonna make everyone GC or cash, literally the same as Darren does, sign up or no clean. Then I plan to come down harder on late payers, GC or you're dropped basically. I've only ever taken a wage from the business, never all the money... The relevance is i'm not stressed if someone pays after 3 weeks or something ?‍♂️

I'm preparing for it. Once I reach my 400 customer target i'm gonna make everyone GC or cash, literally the same as Darren does, sign up or no clean. Then I plan to come down harder on late payers, GC or you're dropped basically. I've only ever taken a wage from the business, never all the money... The relevance is i'm not stressed if someone pays after 3 weeks or something ?‍♂️

With more and more young ones owning houses, cash is hard to come by. They all just pay over the phone when you are talking to them. They don't seem to carry cash now but either way suits me fine. The guy I'm clearing the gutter for said he would pay by credit card, I told him to just pay by bacs into my account and he fine by that.

@Green Pro Clean Ltd  only copied off me ? it will be 5 years next year I have been using GC and it's been over 2  years since I started being more hardline with no GC no clean.  

Sounds like what Apple do. Take an idea someone’s already doing and shout louder about it
emoji23.png
emoji23.png

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
He who shouts loudest is heard first, I've told you about listening to Darren's youtube videos like audiobooks he has hypnotised you, but for god's sake don't play  them backwards ??

Back