Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Roof cleaning set up

P4dstar

Premium Member
So I'm planning to offer roof cleaning next year. I plan to use a roof scraper to remove the excess moss and then apply moss killing chemical to the roof. 2 questions....

Is there a cheaper scraper set on the market than the skyscraper? Just seems a lot of money for what it is.

Other than this what other bits would I need? What does the physical set up look like, how do you pump the chemicals onto the roof. I appreciate it often needs to be done from roof height. I've looked at a lot of videos on this but no one really shows how the system for delivering the chemicals is set up, not sure if they're using a pressure washer to pump it up there or a different set up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use a hoe and a Gardiner back pack.
Thats basically what the sky scraper is mate. It has specially cut heads that fit different roof tile types. £214 for the heads which by the look of it will for a Gardiner pole. Just seems a little much what it is. I did think a backpack was gonna be the best way to apply the chems. People are charging between £25 and £50 a metre. Without breaking out the tape measure I make that over £500 a roof. I appreciate the chemicals ain't cheap but it's half a days work for 2 lads on your standard 3 bed semi. 

Have a look at The Marshall Pro on Facebook, don't know how good they are. @Green Pro Clean Ltd did roof cleaning he might be able to advise better.
They were the first ones I looked for mate. They seem a lot cheaper but their website doesn't load which put me off. I know you can get soft washing adapters from Gardiners which might be handy to apply the chems. I was always gonna steer clear of roof cleaning as I believed you needed to actually get on the roof to get a good finish but evidently not!

Thats basically what the sky scraper is mate. It has specially cut heads that fit different roof tile types. £214 for the heads which by the look of it will for a Gardiner pole. Just seems a little much what it is. I did think a backpack was gonna be the best way to apply the chems. People are charging between £25 and £50 a metre. Without breaking out the tape measure I make that over £500 a roof. I appreciate the chemicals ain't cheap but it's half a days work for 2 lads on your standard 3 bed semi. 

Sounds great, the Bio is £40 for 5 litres but you dilute it 30 to 1. Seems a good business to get into, I would apply the Bio with a Gardiner brush and Backpack, no sweat!

Sounds great, the Bio is £40 for 5 litres but you dilute it 30 to 1. Seems a good business to get into, I would apply the Bio with a Gardiner brush and Backpack, no sweat!
Yeah I reckon just use an old fan jet brush and keep it specifically for that. Probably wouldn't want to use the scrapers on my SLX though so might end up needing another pole for that bit ?

Right, better go clean some windows. 2 to go, full of a cold, don't really fancy it today. Thank god I asked my question about drip down. Did my work today in a fraction of the time!

The Marshall Pro scraper is now the skyscraper still made by Pete I belive I've got one. It's a good tool, I payed 150 at the show and made my money back on the 1st job. To apply chems I use a biocide alot better for the environment that hypo and its non damaging I use a backpack and a da components nozzle to apply this. I also use a scaffolding tower.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I just use an extending roof ladder, best ladder I have bought (£160) Don't leave it on the roof overnight or it will get pinched. Then I would just sit on the ridge and scrap away at my hearts content. :1f609:

Can someone please send a link to the chemical they use.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

So I'm planning to offer roof cleaning next year. I plan to use a roof scraper to remove the excess moss and then apply moss killing chemical to the roof. 2 questions....

Is there a cheaper scraper set on the market than the skyscraper? Just seems a lot of money for what it is.

Other than this what other bits would I need? What does the physical set up look like, how do you pump the chemicals onto the roof. I appreciate it often needs to be done from roof height. I've looked at a lot of videos on this but no one really shows how the system for delivering the chemicals is set up, not sure if they're using a pressure washer to pump it up there or a different set up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gardiners backpack is a cheap option for applying chemicals but it will probably invalidate the warranty but for £115 who cares it pays for its self on the first job , use a wfp with a jet in the end and off you go works really well 

There must be a lot of roofs out there needing cleaned. I'm off tomorrow to clear a gutter. The customer said I would need a large ladder because its a town house (3 levels). I told him I use a Vac, so I emailed a photo of me using it and he was all for it once I mentioned the camera. May get the whole street here's hoping, will leave him some leaflets.

There must be a lot of roofs out there needing cleaned. I'm off tomorrow to clear a gutter. The customer said I would need a large ladder because its a town house (3 levels). I told him I use a Vac, so I emailed a photo of me using it and he was all for it once I mentioned the camera. May get the whole street here's hoping, will leave him some leaflets.
Sod just leaving him leaflets, tell him for every one of his neighbours that calls and books you'll give him a tenner, as long as he doesn't tell them how much he paid. Then stick a tenner on every job ?

My research tells me moss is becoming more of a problem because we have less factories and therefore less acidic rain which used to keep the moss away. The problem with roof cleaning is it's a one time deal, you clear the roof of moss, apply chemicals and then the moss shouldn't come back. You do need to re-apply it every 3-5 years but you can only really charge so much for chemical application and it's probably not a good idea to book someone in that far in advance.

If you are spraying anything and charging a customer for it you are classed as a professional user and should have a spraying ticket 
I still ain't used anything more than virosol and degreaser but from what I can see these qualifications ain't too expensive to get, well worth having!

If anyone is interested in what it involves...

I did my PA1 and PA6 earlier this year..

Basically PA1 is 1 day in the classroom and a multiple choice test

PA6 is a 1 day practical and theory in use of a knapsack and about a 2-3 hour practical test

Costs about £400 for both depending on where you do it

Last edited by a moderator:
I still ain't used anything more than virosol and degreaser but from what I can see these qualifications ain't too expensive to get, well worth having!

£260 for a 2 day course for pa1 and pa6, well worth it.

If anyone is interested in what it involves...

I did my PA1 and PA6 earlier this year..

Basically PA1 is 1 day in the classroom and a multiple choice test

PA6 is a 1 day practical and theory in use of a knapsack and about a 2-3 hour practical test

Costs about £600

Do you need to do refreshers? or does it last forever?

Back