Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Problems with Hard water.. I have a solution!! :)

G

I thought I'd share this info for anyone having RO tds issues... 

My boss supplied a xline static auto flush and fill!.. Brilliant in soft water areas.. Not so great in hard water especially at 400+ on tds meter.. The machine is on its third RO.. I've found a solution.. 

https://www.waterfilterman.co.uk/fish-keeping-water-filters/266-high-capacity-pond-dechlorinator-water-filter-for-koi-pond.html

This pond decholrinator will block a lot of the sediment and chlorine going into the machine, the filter requires a three monthly change.. Also wise to change the machine pre filters even if they look new.. 

I've used this decholrinator for a few Weeks and works well.. 

Also the saltless water which is soon due from the same company. Will improve the quality of the water even better, I found a traditional salt softener did not work well due to water usage.. 

https://www.waterfilterman.co.uk/whole-house-water-filters/137-ecoplus-whole-house-water-filter-996-scale-prevention-alternative-to-water-softener-5060282121409.html

350.00 pounds, does it still work?

He joined the forum on the 20th December, posted this startling information, logged in the following day; the 21st December, to see how many 'likes' he got and hasn't logged on since.

This filter will do nothing to help those in hard water areas. Its just a dechlorinator which removes chlorine from the water. Most of us have two prefilters, a sediment and a carbon filter. The carbon filter removes chlorine from the water. Unfortunately, IMHO he doesn't know what he is talking about. (My first thought was that he is promoting the waterfilterman website.)

Those in hard water areas, especially where there is a lot of calcium must expect to have to replace their r/o membranes more regularily.

Some have a water softener but the hassle of changing salt has to be accounted for. Self regenerating water softeners are probably best but are expensive. We also use a lot of water, so a commercial unit would probably be better than a household one; at a price.

These water softeners remove magnesium and calcium from the water and replace them with sodium ions. So a windies tds will read much the same after its been through the water softener. R/o membranes cope better with sodium ions than magnesium and calcium ions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Spruce

I am just 10.000 litres into using a new 4040 low pressure membrane i am using the Clarks 1" pump and two pre filters 20" carbon and sediment, and i polish with a 25lt di can.

The membrane is blocking up with crystals i guess as the flow has drastically gone down. It was a trolley but i have had to add a 1000lt holding tank now to cope with the slow water rate.

So i came online looking for a water softener i have a 25lt di can also full of di crystal at my disposal so i think i need to fill it with softener and add it to my system, and do a daily flush with salt when using 1000lt i only just found out to be honest so i am wondering if the improved water will help to clean my membrane and make it work fast again or do i need a new membrane, if so i guess i will go cheaper now as i got a fast pump and also a spare pump

i may even add another 4040 as i would like to do soft wash as well

do you know if anyone uses the 8040 membranes? the flow rate is fantastic?

many thanks

Seamus

Adding a softener will not improve your membrane if it’s blocked with calcium. For your daily usage you would need a 25 litre or more softener then backflush daily with salt. 

Adding a softener will not improve your membrane if it’s blocked with calcium. For your daily usage you would need a 25 litre or more softener then backflush daily with salt. 

Hi Doug, please can you explain to us about water softners and what it required and how to backflush with salt.

As we both know we didn't know about or need to know about water softners where we came from. ? The only salt we knew about was Bird's Eye table salt.

In my early days I came across a manager of a business selling water softners in Milton Keynes. I asked him if a water softner could be a good replacement for an r/o. He told me that it wouldn't as the tds of the water wouldn't change. It would still leave salt deposits on the windows.

He told me that the softner removes calcium and other metals such as magnesium ions from the water but replaces them with sodium ions. That was all I was interested in; question answered. 

I've looked at a few YouTube videos at one time but the automatic units just seem too complicated for us average mortals.

Back