CM Cleaning Services

1st attempt at a roof clean ....... And the last [emoji23]

CM Cleaning Services

Let me start by apologising for the essay lol Sorry all

Well today had my first attempt at roof cleaning ( so to speak ) my fellow friend needed a low level extension roof cleaned covered in moss and filthy .......So as my schedules are done for the year having some free time thought I'd give it a go for him at a mates rate discount being my guinea pig trial [emoji23] and was some bonus cash for me WIN WIN

Now let's make this clear I am complete novice to roof cleaning and did what I thought was within my capabilities without messing about with hypo and such I know little about ...

So with my trusty small jet washer and stiff brush my mate knew it was at best results so I crack on with the task ahead

Well sweeping the moss off the roof took forever couldn't decide if just shoving it off the roof onto his patio or trying to collect up as much as possible was going to be best 🤦

The jet washing wasn't so bad apart from the obvious got soaked and moss bits flying everywhere got me and the patio covered DOUBLE 🤦🤦

ANYWAY !!!!

6hrs later here's the end result fire away with feedback good or bad

Thanks [emoji106]IMG_20181220_100926.jpegIMG_20181220_142226.jpeg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Clearview Lee

Never done it, and not something I'd be interested in doing myself.

BUT....Bloody good job, Sir! I'm sure he was chuffed.

CM Cleaning Services
Never done it, and not something I'd be interested in doing myself.

BUT....Bloody good job, Sir! I'm sure he was chuffed.
Thanks

Yeah I won't be in a rush to get into it if at all [emoji23]

Paramount Cleaning Service

really good results well done m8 abit of hypo or bens lightening clenzing and would take most of the lichen off

Pjj

Good job , looking very good especially for a first attempt ,bit of a spray with bio and given a few weeks it will kill off all the remaining lichen and help slow down re growth 

Green Pro Clean Ltd

Hypo wont remove the lichen.  One or perhaps two rounds of a biocide should. 

Pressure washing roofs is not an optimum solution plenty can go wrong.   If I were to consider a return to roof cleaning I would offer only to spray with bio, return a few weeks later to scrape off the roof and then another bio coat before leaving.  

Some on here will have seen pics where we got in the habit of leaving roofs perfect but..... and here it comes..... you seem to think 5 hours was a long time to do that roof.... I say you did well to do it in just 5 hours to that standard. 

ks789
53 minutes ago, Green Pro Clean Ltd said:

Hypo wont remove the lichen.  One or perhaps two rounds of a biocide should. 

Pressure washing roofs is not an optimum solution plenty can go wrong.   If I were to consider a return to roof cleaning I would offer only to spray with bio, return a few weeks later to scrape off the roof and then another bio coat before leaving.  

Some on here will have seen pics where we got in the habit of leaving roofs perfect but..... and here it comes..... you seem to think 5 hours was a long time to do that roof.... I say you did well to do it in just 5 hours to that standard. 

Thats true, i thought 5 hours was good. A pain job, but if you establish with a future job a price you know to say £200 or so for a similar, they'd be bloomin lucky to get cheaper.

Green Pro Clean Ltd
3 minutes ago, ks789 said:

£200 or so for a similar, they'd be bloomin lucky to get cheaper

A roof area that size we were charging £595 and getting it all day long.   £200 might get his gutters cleaned. 😂

ks789
1 minute ago, Green Pro Clean Ltd said:

A roof area that size we were charging £595 and getting it all day long.   £200 might get his gutters cleaned. 😂

wow, thats ok, not such a bad job after all then if quote it right. yeh people will pay it I guess.

CM Cleaning Services

A roof area that size we were charging £595 and getting it all day long.   £200 might get his gutters cleaned. [emoji23]
He definitely had it at mates rates then [emoji23]

I only did it as had a free day and to help a mate out ....£250 I charged him

ks789
Just now, CM Cleaning Services said:

He definitely had it at mates rates then emoji23.png

I only did it as had a free day and to help a mate out ....£250 I charged him

Now you know you'll be ok for next time. I havent done a roof clean but it looks like one of those jobs you could earn well and charge good rate and makes the work sweeter.

CM Cleaning Services
Now you know you'll be ok for next time. I havent done a roof clean but it looks like one of those jobs you could earn well and charge good rate and makes the work sweeter.
There won't be a next time [emoji23][emoji23]

Skxawng

With a pressure washer is there a chance you could force water up the tiles and cause water damage inside? Or is it ok if you're careful with the angle?

Green Pro Clean Ltd
9 minutes ago, Skxawng said:

With a pressure washer is there a chance you could force water up the tiles and cause water damage inside? Or is it ok if you're careful with the angle?

Yes there is and you've answered your own question mate. 

scottish cleaning service

One could charge a grand for that job. Wondering why you didn't get the whole street to do at that price. I would use my twin turbo lance at low revs but moss would be all over the place. Final spray with Bio and job done.

ks789
8 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

One could charge a grand for that job. Wondering why you didn't get the whole street to do at that price. I would use my twin turbo lance at low revs but moss would be all over the place. Final spray with Bio and job done.

Yes what seems a bad job could be a nice earner. I couldnt earn these amounts doing a days windows.

cormie76

Turbo Lance is a bad idea on roofs one never mind two mate

scottish cleaning service
1 hour ago, cormie76 said:

Turbo Lance is a bad idea on roofs one never mind two mate

It would be ok as long as its done from ridge down on low revs. Same damage as using a scraper but would be better to go up a fortnight before and spray whole roof with Bio. 

windowsurfer

Good job, have thought about doing this, but would only be on a bungalow.  very messy job and if you break a tile that would be a pest..  A gardener had sprayed the roof of my customer with formeldehyde(check spelling, dont know if this would be approved by SEPA) after the advice from a neighbour who had done this, as he used it as a farmer and sprayed his own roof with it, that killed the moss and just wait for it to fall off, seems to have done a decent enough job, without having to scrape or blast roofs, just got to clean the gutters, which i had to do a few times so quids in for me,  I think he had charged her something crazy like £70, laughable.   

Pjj

The general opinion is that pressurewashing roofs removes the sandy top surface that can lead to the tiles becoming porous, don’t want to disagree with Darran but hypo will kill licken  and moss , it’s basicaly the same principle as softwashing  the stuff will die and over a period of weeks it will come off the roof , however a spray of bio is good as this will help slow down re growth , you can now buy softwash chemicals with bio in the mix so one mix will treat all scenarios sometimes you will need to re apply a further spray , the good thing cleaning this way is you don’t hsvd to go on the roof and you arnt removing the surface of the tile 

Maund

Are you able to just spray hypo on the roof, then rinse, job done?

Green Pro Clean Ltd

Throughout 2016 / 2017 we did over 60 roofs in and around the Midlands. Here's the facts learnt. 

Scraping or brushing (wire brushing) is NOT as damaging as using a power washer. 

All 'soft wash' products are either hypo based or bio (DDAC) type product. 

Pressure washing off Moss is the worst option. 

The sheer mess you're going to have to clean-up afterwards will add an age to any job. 

If you think you are going to turn up to a moss covered roof and simply 'chuck some hypo' on it or 'spray with bio' and job done then you are a disillusioned fool. 

Perhaps at 15% farm grade hypo may kill lichen but not at sensible 3% or 5% used to softwash. 

Softwashing is simply 'the least aggressive way possible of clean a surface'  (WFP using pure is a prime example of this) so power washing a surface first regardless of how much bio you toss on afterwards is NOT softwashing. 

Hypo (sodium hypochlorite) is just industrial grade bleach, usually 10 or 15% strengths. And most biocide products are based on DDAC 50 (Or similar) learning to make you own is beneficial as current sellers of ready made soft wash product are making 100s if not 1000s of percent mark up on you. 

A 3 bed ex council type semi that has a good carpet of moss will take a one man operator two days to do a proper bang up job without a power washer. 

Our 3 bed semi mentioned above should be charged at at least a minimum of £995

There is a massive market for roof cleaning in the UK to anyone that get's it set up right from the start.  

Now you all welcome to pick apart the above and come back with the 'well I've done this and...' or the classic 'my mates dads aunties son does....'  or a variation of and to be honest it does not bother me as all the above are based on facts and many hours spent on roofs cleaning roofs.  A side of the business we shut down as not enough profit in it.  

The biggest hurdle you're going to face is expectation. 

1: The customers.  You offered a clean roof, they expect it to look as new. 

2: Your's 'I'll crack that out in 3 or 4 hours'  yeah, times that by 3 and you're getting closer. 

All the above is based on one man operation. 

It's not written on a hypothetical 'what I would do... ' from my arm chair.. it's based on what we have done and learnt along the way. 

Want to know how well 'moss removal' biocides work?  Go spray a roof.  (Try not to be disappointed when you go back a few days later)