Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning Algae & Lichens from Stone Sills

P4dstar

Premium Member
I have a customer who has sills like the ones in the picture. The picture is taken from Google street view and its clearly a long time since they've been down that road as they are now black with algae and lichen. I don't fancy pressure washing them as they look like some type of sandstone, also they are first floor windows so that would be effort in itself! What would you guys use to clear it off?

Screenshot 2018-12-21 06.49.11.png

I have a customer who has sills like the ones in the picture. The picture is taken from Google street view and its clearly a long time since they've been down that road as they are now black with algae and lichen. I don't fancy pressure washing them as they look like some type of sandstone, also they are first floor windows so that would be effort in itself! What would you guys use to clear it off?

View attachment 15366

I would just handbrush on neat hypo with surfactant to make it stick and go back over again 30mins later.

A friend of mine suggested something called ''wet and forget'', he used it on his mums house. It took about 6 weeks to clean but apparently you just apply it and leave it.

View attachment 15366

Softwash with hypo mix, will come up like new we do lots like this 

A friend of mine suggested something called ''wet and forget'', he used it on his mums house. It took about 6 weeks to clean but apparently you just apply it and leave it.

Any 'moss killer' containing Didecyldimethyl-ammonium chloride... some are better than others due to concentrations and other additives.

A good fairly cheap one is MMC Pro (you can buy it on ebay for £25 for 5l).. and you dilute it down.  

It will work on nearly any algae (works really fast on green algae and slower on lichens) and kills off moss too.

20-30 muinits if done right 
I have picked up some new cleans in a nice area with sills like that.

Totally minging.

Spray household bleach/water 50/50 with a splash of soap in a spray bottle.

Clean the windows.

Give another spray and a little stiff brush if needed.

Job done and good as new.

I would just handbrush on neat hypo with surfactant to make it stick and go back over again 30mins later.
what is it with everyone using neat hypo.

No need for that strength.

4% will clean anything. 

I have picked up some new cleans in a nice area with sills like that.

Totally minging.

Spray household bleach/water 50/50 with a splash of soap in a spray bottle.

Clean the windows.

Give another spray and a little stiff brush if needed.

Job done and good as new.

what is it with everyone using neat hypo.

No need for that strength.

4% will clean anything. 
Yes we do a lot I have never had to use it neat that’s over kill , if you get some that are really bad the cheap thick toilet bleach squirted on and brushed on leave it for 20-30 muinits light rub with the brush and it looks like new the thick bleach doesn’t dry out , when soft washing a whole house we use 3-4% mix approx.

Latest Posts

Back