Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Google advertising

Aye, I didn't get one. Its a complicated system. There is a simplified version but when I researched it all the advice said it was trash. I personally pay for leads now. It obviously costs more than doing it yourself but the company knows what they're doing so actually gets results. 

@Green Pro Clean Ltd is who I use.

What you all need to realise is that it's a bidding system. As long as nobody is bidding against you you will get 100% of the clicks. As soon as somebody realises that you are taking business away from them by getting the clicks they will then start to bid higher against you at which point you will continue to spend your money but get nothing in the way of quality leads.

The reason that lead companies can be more successful if they have much bigger budgets to bid with . Whilst you may think that you are getting a better deal by doing your advertising yourself in reality you can't afford to bid against bigger lead companies for the business so you are simply throwing away your money whilst pumping up their costs without getting any results for yourself. 

Google advertising cost per click advertising etc does work but only if you have large budgets to throw at it and I'm talking budgett's running into the tens of thousands of pounds.  If you're simply going to throw 50 or 100 quid and it you may as well either throw it down the drain or spend it on a proven lead Generation system as this will bring you better results.

@Green Pro Clean Ltd is right. I am a neutral party in this as I haven't signed up for his lead gen service, i'm a semi trained web developer and have personally used Google advertising in the last 12 months.

Google advertising will try and get you to use loads of different search terms which means people would click through and all cost you a fortune. You set a daily budget which for window cleaning could be £1-2 but results aren't based on industry they're based on area. If there are 10 window cleaners all paying for Google Ads at once and all selecting a budget of £1 each then you would all get 10% of the clicks. If one of the guys decides to bid £11 per day he will get 11 clicks to everyone else's 1. I have just majorly over simplified this as there are loads and loads of search terms and some may not have the same terms selected.

You can always find a voucher for £100 free credit when you spend £25, this is what I used. I matched the best search terms and the advert ran for over a month on a reasonably high rate. I aimed the advert at getting phone calls and in the time it ran I had 3 phone calls, one let it ring once from a withheld number and another 2 are from one customer and she was looking for another company. She ended up as a customer, the reason she was looking for another company was because her old windy stopped coming.

I also tried FB adverts with a bit of credit and a bit of my own money. Found them to be an absolute waste of time. 600 views of a video cost £10 and got no customers. In contrast a video post to a for sale site brought me nearly 30 new customers and plenty of good ones in the mix.

Lead generation is a good option. I don't personally believe that one route can work alone.

Cheapest way to build a round is go door knocking yourself , you can canvas areas that you want to work in , and over time build a compact round with most of the other ways of gaining customers you will spend an awful amount of time traveling between jobs which isn’t going to be as profitable 

I love canvassing! Although the website has been working that well, haven't had the need to go out. Although will have to, come the new year (new goals!), just working up the courage to whip the Ipad out and say "you got your bank details handy for me GoCardless luv" haha

I love canvassing! Although the website has been working that well, haven't had the need to go out. Although will have to, come the new year (new goals!), just working up the courage to whip the Ipad out and say "you got your bank details handy for me GoCardless luv" haha
Who do you use for your website as I need one that works as yours does

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Majority of my new business comes through Google Ads.

It's a tricky and complex platform if you don't know what you're doing.

I spend approx £400 a month, Targeting Window cleaning and Gutter/upvc cleaning.

I target postcode areas for window cleaning and the whole city for gutter cleaning.

My adverts only run Mon-Fri 0800-1800 and Saturday 0800-1400. 

If you're running a window cleaning advert, then make sure the landing page going to your window cleaning page, not home page. 

Same goes for Gutter cleaning, pressure washing etc etc..

Make sure you have google analytics set up to your website too so you can monitor the activity.

There is no point advertising late at night or early hours as you want that customer to be able to call you straight away etc.

If you have a contact form on the website, you need to deal with these as soon as possible. 

The return on investment is good for me using google.

Facebook advertising, i find a bit of a waste of money, but video adverts work best if you're going to do it. (get someone to take a video of you cleaning the window, Short video that shows it exactly how it is. Wear branded apparel if possible and not jeans and trainers).

I do pick up a few new customers when i do.

When setting up the Audience, i target

- my postcode plus the distance i'm prepared to travel

- Age 40+ (more of a disposable income)

- I target certain interests like, Gardening (customers whom take pride in their garden are more likely to want their windows cleaned) I target customers whom have interests in certain newspapers etc..... You just need to think outside the box really.

Hope this helps a little.

Back