Tuffers

Pole Storage in Van

Tuffers

I'm taking time off over Xmas and have decided to have a look at what I can do to make storing my poles in the van better than I currently do. I use gutter pipes hanging down from the roof ATM. @P4dstar and @steve garwood, you have/had a Citroen Dispatch. How do you store your poles?

CMRwindowcleaning

I got a welder to make some custom for my van, powder coated and fitted for £70.00. 

Just now, CMRwindowcleaning said:

I got a welder to make some custom for my van, powder coated and fitted for £70.00. 

Similar to these 

FD7E3AEA-7B4A-4BF5-8D5F-18FE3B1CFB7D.png

steve garwood
2 hours ago, Tuffers said:

I'm taking time off over Xmas and have decided to have a look at what I can do to make storing my poles in the van better than I currently do. I use gutter pipes hanging down from the roof ATM. @P4dstar and @steve garwood, you have/had a Citroen Dispatch. How do you store your poles?

I’ve always said I don’t understand the obsession on using pipes for storage of poles.

I’ve done the same format on my new transit as I did in my expert.

Shelf brackets screwed to the bulkhead with a length of 2 by 1 piece of timber all the way across.

Then another length of 2 by 1 across the width of the van roughly 10” down from the roof and running across over the wheel arches.

Before you fit the timber, attach that anti slip netting. 

Every 3-4” screw kitchen door ***** to the timber so they face up.

The netting will stop the poles slipping forward.

The ***** will stop the poles rolling.

You can fit 5-6 poles with this method.

I will try to remember to take some pictures tomorrow 

Tuffers

Pics would be helpful Ste 👍

What word are you trying to say after kitchen door to the timber. It got filtered.

Stevieboy

A simple little frame at the bulkhead end wide enough for 4 poles. Then quick release wire storage bendable hooks at the other. Just untwist and go. 

P.S Just a note they have hung there for over two years, covering hundreds of miles and no they haven’t fell down. Have replaced the wire hooks as the wire will break overtime constantly undoing and doing them up. 

F3809170-BFD8-4DEF-971C-0317E2B22D62.jpeg

P4dstar
13 hours ago, Tuffers said:

I only have the one pole. I have a piece of pipe zip tied to the roof down the centre. I quite like the idea of using munsen rings from the roof but the only section they could go is down the centre and there are some electrics running through there. I reckon there must be some points under the plastic covering the top sides that you could pin some of those pole rack things to.

mufcglen

i made my pole holders using gutter downpipes and the down pipe brackets, on the transit customs though they have a big box section at the very back roof of the van so i had to drop the bracket with a few spacers by an inch or so!

CMcB
4 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

A simple little frame at the bulkhead end wide enough for 4 poles. Then quick release wire storage bendable hooks at the other. Just untwist and go. 

P.S Just a note they have hung there for over two years, covering hundreds of miles and no they haven’t fell down. Have replaced the wire hooks as the wire will break overtime constantly undoing and doing them up. 

Hi @Stevieboy that's the kind of thing I'm looking for!  Where did you get the wire hooks? 

Stevieboy

Got them In Wilkinson’s. Couple of quid for two. Cheap but good. 

steve garwood

I couldn't bring myself to drill through the bulkhead 😭

I did that on the day I took delivery of the van brand new.

Got to admit I was thinking ‘what am I doing 😳

Glad I did though, I keep a pole either side attached to the reels either side. Just open the left or right sliding door, grab the pole and go.

Theres also a pole in the middle of the rack for backpack or trolley. Just open the back doors and go, no messing 🕺🏻

Tuffers

I'll tell you what I think would be ideal. It would be some sort of two part pole, plastic or metal that you can extend by twisting a screwthread inside it with rubber ends that would extend to the sides of the van and be held in place when you screw the two pieces apart.

Anyone got any idea where this sort of thing could be bought?

Stevieboy

I used existing holes. No drilling. Removed a little bit of trim at the bulkhead and used the M8 tapped holes. Don’t like drilling vans. Although my next project I have drilled a hole to use the hose with the doors closed. 

DJT

I'll tell you what I think would be ideal. It would be some sort of two part pole, plastic or metal that you can extend by twisting a screwthread inside it with rubber ends that would extend to the sides of the van and be held in place when you screw the two pieces apart.

Do you mean like a curtain rail or clothes rail? Maybe ikea 

TJTOPCAT

You can get an extending pole for a shower curtain, that might be the sort of thing you are thinking of. ?

https://www.toolstation.com/telescopic-shower-rail/p88319

CMcB
8 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

Got them In Wilkinson’s. Couple of quid for two. Cheap but good. 

Thanks!

dazmond
13 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

couldnt be arsed with that myself....its easier to put 2 soil pipes up....nice and tidy......then you simply slide your poles in when your off to your next job(cleaning the pole hose of course beforehand)

Stevieboy

Yep soil pipes are nice but in a small van where the pole has to go diagonal to fit they aren’t a lot of use. Because you have to slid the pole a long way, diagonally they would hit the rear doors. Unless you opened them 180 degrees every time. Pain in the bum. My way is split seconds hand on the pole. Soon as you undo the clipped end you can move it sideways before lifting it of the bulkhead end. Simple fast efficient. 

P4dstar

Had a look in the back of the van today and there are a couple of points you could attactch things to. On a post a little while back @spruce and @Pjj recommended some metal clip things into the side and then a bar across. I can’t find the post now to show you what I mean but you could potentially do something like @steve garwood has or just drop Munsen rings and pipe from them. It would potentially give you room to store loads of poles if you’re still on that flat tank!

P4dstar

Found it, they’re called Joist hangers, pop either a metal or wooden bar across the back of the van and do as you please with it!

Den

Always used soil pipes work great no complaints but with my new van Im using a set of Aldi mixed hook set work brilliant big box was only cheap good quatily and extra happy with them especially the double bracket could holder loads of poles.

image.jpg