Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Simply Business

Dan@Windaclean

I've been trading for just a few months now on a part-time basis alongside my day job as a firefighter (I know it's all a bit cliché!). I've been meaning to sort out some public liability insurance since I started and have finally got round to looking in to it today.

I've read many recommendations for the Simply Business website and carried out a quote to insure me for £1,000,000 worth of cover for my small residential round. The best price I was quoted was £65.05 from Groupama. This was a lot cheaper than the quotes of around £170 from Gleaming Insurance and Poished Insurance.

I requested a call-back from Simply Business as I didn't fancy calling the 0845 number from my mobile and being on hold for the afternoon. Within five minutes a helpful young man called me to discuss my insurance needs. I think the most important aspect of window cleaning insurance is to be covered for the piece of glass you are working on. He explained that Groupama do have a exclusion of cover when you are working on a piece of glass and cause damage you will not be insured. However as soon as you finish your clean and step away from the glass you are covered.

The next cheapest price was £69.13 from Zurich and he explained that there was no such exclusion in place so I would be covered for the piece of glass I was working on just in case I scratched or broke it. Interesting to know that for a few more quid you can get this sort of cover.

Even more interesting is that if you click through the Top Cash Back site you can get £15.15 cash-back for a new policy with Simply Business. The chap was a bit gutted he missed out on his commission for the sale but fully understood why I would buy on-line and was understanding.

Great service and will now be a fully insured window cleaner!

nice one, nice to see someone else that going about things the right way, they always say better late then never!!

its not just the glass that you have to worry about being covered, its also build, cars and other things that could get damaged too!

Window cleaners insurance that doesn't cover you for the piece of glass that you're working on, that makes sense.

Window cleaners insurance that doesn't cover you for the piece of glass that you're working on, that makes sense.
its like other insurance, when we had insurance for the building side of the business, we had high insurance case we was fitting bathrooms and kitchens etc, but when fitting a bathroom, nothing in that room is covered, but anything outside of the room is!!

Insurance is important mate you will feel much more safer when working from now /emoticons/smile.png/emoticons/tongue.png

What is the excess on these policies? Eg, if its a £250 excess, and I scratch a £150 window, don't I still end up footing the bill? Seems pointless if so...

My insurance is with these guys. They're a broker so I don't know who my policy is actually with but so far do good.

I got half of my money back by sending them 3 other customers. Easy win!

All insurance is a joke.. I broke the back of my iPhone.. It's insuranced, but I have to pay £70 for them to scrap it and give me a new phone. I can get a new back with fitting kit for £5 on eBay...

It's the same with car insurance. I had a little "mishap" and drove into my parent's house (slowly), putting a rather large dent into my bumper. Insurance excess was £250 but I got a local dent removals dude to come round and pull the dent out. £45 later and good as new!

Obviously I knew how much my excess was and knew I could get the repairs done myself for less so I can't complain about the insurance company as when I had a serious accident they were fantastic!

yer it is a joke with the excess! if i broke any glass, i just measure the size of the glass, get the tool to measure the thickness off the glass, phone up and order it and fix it myself!

i got asked to fix a small panel of double glazing, only cost me £10 for the glass!

Trouble is if your not insured and you have a major accident say hurt someone seriously you would need the insurance to cover legal costs. Glass is just a case of paying a glass fitter a couple of hundred quid at most but how often do you break glass (maybe dont scrub that glass to hard)

well if people think long and hard. there a million possiblitys

hare is one example

your working on victorn or 1950s bungerlow or house there the old style grating and your using water fed the pressure cracks the window or the window falls out.

or

your using ladders and your got ladder protectors for the walls and the pressure makes the wall cruble or crack.

these are some of things that might happen or will happen like they say when your time is up its up

yer it is a joke with the excess! if i broke any glass, i just measure the size of the glass, get the tool to measure the thickness off the glass, phone up and order it and fix it myself!

i got asked to fix a small panel of double glazing, only cost me £10 for the glass!

shhhhhhhhhhhh ..lol this is the game I have been in the last 25 yrs double glazing great money earner changing units misted,broken /emoticons/smile.png

shhhhhhhhhhhh ..lol this is the game I have been in the last 25 yrs double glazing great money earner changing units misted,broken /emoticons/smile.png
Yer it is a good money earner

well if people think long and hard. there a million possiblitys

hare is one example

your working on victorn or 1950s bungerlow or house there the old style grating and your using water fed the pressure cracks the window or the window falls out.
What you using to power ya wfp a bloody fire engine ?????

I've been trading for just a few months now on a part-time basis alongside my day job as a firefighter (I know it's all a bit cliché!). I've been meaning to sort out some public liability insurance since I started and have finally got round to looking in to it today.

I've read many recommendations for the Simply Business website and carried out a quote to insure me for £1,000,000 worth of cover for my small residential round. The best price I was quoted was £65.05 from Groupama. This was a lot cheaper than the quotes of around £170 from Gleaming Insurance and Poished Insurance.

I requested a call-back from Simply Business as I didn't fancy calling the 0845 number from my mobile and being on hold for the afternoon. Within five minutes a helpful young man called me to discuss my insurance needs. I think the most important aspect of window cleaning insurance is to be covered for the piece of glass you are working on. He explained that Groupama do have a exclusion of cover when you are working on a piece of glass and cause damage you will not be insured. However as soon as you finish your clean and step away from the glass you are covered.

The next cheapest price was £69.13 from Zurich and he explained that there was no such exclusion in place so I would be covered for the piece of glass I was working on just in case I scratched or broke it. Interesting to know that for a few more quid you can get this sort of cover.

Even more interesting is that if you click through the Top Cash Back site you can get £15.15 cash-back for a new policy with Simply Business. The chap was a bit gutted he missed out on his commission for the sale but fully understood why I would buy on-line and was understanding.

Great service and will now be a fully insured window cleaner!
thats a great price mate! I'm looking into Public Liability Insurance too, and almost paid the £174 for Gleaming Insurance before seein your post! Phew! Does your quote from Zurich include 'Damage to Property' etc as Gleaming claims many other I sura fe company's don't?

Back