Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Stretches/Warm up - Before days Window Cleaning

Cookie

Do any of you do stretches/exercises before a days window cleaning (in the same way as runners for example)?

In particular I'm thinking of reducing RSI aches & pains in neck, shoulders, arms etc... What sort of warm up (or warm down) exercises do you do & does it help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to roll out of bed instead of sitting upright and twisting. I'm an old fart you see so I need to save the old back ? Apart from that I do sweet fa.

Do any of you do stretches/exercises before a days window cleaning (in the same way as runners for example)?

In particular I'm thinking of reducing RSI aches & pains in neck, shoulders, arms etc... What sort of warm up (or warm down) exercises do you do & does it help?
I lift weights 2 or 3 times a week and have done for 3 years now....I'm 47.....what a difference!couple that with extreme poles ,electric reels and short days and I get very little aches and pains anymore....the weight training has built up my shoulders,neck and back muscles as well as overall body strength which helps....as for stretching I do very basic yoga exercises occasionally but not very often.....

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I spring out of bed as I'm young, handsome, thin and spend a good ten excercising combing my long hair lol 

I tend to roll out of bed instead of sitting upright and twisting. I'm an old fart you see so I need to save the old back ? Apart from that I do sweet fa.

Yep, same as me at the moment ? - just thought it might be a good time to change this....

I lift weights 2 or 3 times a week and have done for 3 years now....I'm 47.....what a difference!couple that with extreme poles ,electric reels and short days and I get very little aches and pains anymore....the weight training has built up my shoulders,neck and back muscles as well as overall body strength which helps....as for stretching I do very basic yoga exercises occasionally but not very often.....

Thanks Daz. I was thinking about 5 to 10 minutes in the morning & perhaps a gentle warm down. I might look on YouTube & see what I can find.

A ten min warm up/warm down certainly wouldn't do any harm, gentle stretches. I'm amazed a hot water system wasn't mentioned above! ?

? Before my post was "approved" Zee hot water was mentioned! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of stretching and I have a good pull up bar that I do static holds on to work the scapular muscles and more importantly better posture whilst working has helped a lot with RSI on my neck.
The foam rollers are good for stretching out and massaging the whole back.
I also had a lot of trouble with my rear right deltoid (supraspinatus). I’ve always worked out regularly but needed to fine tune certain exercises to help rehabilitate the shoulder.

Also reducing the SLX pole by removing the the larger 2 pieces on the 30ft pole has been good.

The extreme poles would help even more I assume but don’t fancy the £100 odd bill if I snap the end one by closing a window or something.

Plenty of stretching and I have a good pull up bar that I do static holds on to work the scapular muscles and more importantly better posture whilst working has helped a lot with RSI on my neck.
The foam rollers are good for stretching out and massaging the whole back.
I also had a lot of trouble with my rear right deltoid (supraspinatus). I’ve always worked out regularly but needed to fine tune certain exercises to help rehabilitate the shoulder.

Also reducing the SLX pole by removing the the larger 2 pieces on the 30ft pole has been good.

The extreme poles would help even more I assume but don’t fancy the £100 odd bill if I snap the end one by closing a window or something.

using xtreme poles makes a massive difference mate....you ll switch one day.....id rather wear a pole out than my shoulders......

using xtreme poles makes a massive difference mate....you ll switch one day.....id rather wear a pole out than my shoulders......
I have looked into it a few times but haven’t hit the ‘buy now’ button.
The 22ft would do 95% of my work.

You really rate them yourself then?

The other change I’m looking to make is a powered reel. Cleaned windows for 21 years now, 11 on wfp. There was a thread on here about doing a DIY one that looked good.

Going for longevity now rather than when I was 20 something and supposedly invincible!

Lol I think we are going to clean windows not run the London marathon, I don’t think we need to do warm up or cool down execises for that it’s not exactly hard work just work at your own pace and you will be fine 

I have looked into it a few times but haven’t hit the ‘buy now’ button.
The 22ft would do 95% of my work.

You really rate them yourself then?

The other change I’m looking to make is a powered reel. Cleaned windows for 21 years now, 11 on wfp. There was a thread on here about doing a DIY one that looked good.

Going for longevity now rather than when I was 20 something and supposedly invincible!

they wont last as long as an SLX thats for sure.if you get 18 months to 2 years out of an xtreme pole your doing well but they are so light and rigid to use.they make your working days much easier than using SLXs.......electric reels and hot water also help make it easier and more comfortable too....

Lol I think we are going to clean windows not run the London marathon, I don’t think we need to do warm up or cool down execises for that it’s not exactly hard work just work at your own pace and you will be fine 
One day these words might come back to haunt you! 

One day these words might come back to haunt you! 

Lol I have been doing it for 20 years never needed to yet , come on you cannot be serious window cleaning isn’t exactly hard work , pull out a bit of hose , put up a pole clean a few windows and then wind in the hose again , it’s not exactly  strenuous and Ime 56 

I’m still youngish and fit-ish, but if I’ve got a busy couple weeks in a row & regularly cleaning stuff using my 27ft pole, then I start to feel my shoulder a little by the end. And I’ve never had any shoulder pain before starting this job 4 yrs ago, before this job I was a roofer for 8yrs.

Its widely known that this is one of the worst jobs for RSI. We are basically lifting our arms up & own all day everyday with a small weight in our hands. Over the course of 5,10,20 years it will affect most people.

We we all have different bodies, work styles, equipment & work patterns. So some will need to exercise & watch their routine as they get older, some won’t. 

I dont do any. I exercise in general but not for work. But as I get older I’ll probably have to start having to address a dodgy shoulder. 

I’m still youngish and fit-ish, but if I’ve got a busy couple weeks in a row & regularly cleaning stuff using my 27ft pole, then I start to feel my shoulder a little by the end. And I’ve never had any shoulder pain before starting this job 4 yrs ago, before this job I was a roofer for 8yrs.

Its widely known that this is one of the worst jobs for RSI. We are basically lifting our arms up & own all day everyday with a small weight in our hands. Over the course of 5,10,20 years it will affect most people.

We we all have different bodies, work styles, equipment & work patterns. So some will need to exercise & watch their routine as they get older, some won’t. 

I dont do any. I exercise in general but not for work. But as I get older I’ll probably have to start having to address a dodgy shoulder. 

I dont think there is any exercise regime that will help or prevent rsi injuries, by trade I was a sprayer panel beater and suffered badly with tennis elbow in both arms I had quartisone and annersetic injections for years but nothing helped . Once I stopped the job over a few months I was fine , but if I use a hammer now for more than a few muinits it will affect me evan now some twenty odd years later , the doctor said at the time there is nothing you can do to prevent it or cure it apart from a job change , I think it’s the same with wfp once it has affected you there is very little that’s going to help , oviously the lighter and shorter the pole the less chance of being affected in the first place , but once the damage is done nothing can reverse it . No exercise is going to prevent this type of injury , rsi is caused by repetitive movement exercise won’t stop that , I think you are either lucky and it doesn’t affect you or you are unlucky and it does .

Back