Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dash cams

richb77

I’m looking at getting a dash cam due to the amount of idiots on the road today lol, so just wondering what people recommend. I’m after one with a rear facing cam as well. This is where the issue starts as guessing it needs to be externally mounted so also water proof. Had a look in the usual places amazon, flea bay etc. After some recommendations. TIA

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I’m looking at getting a dash cam due to the amount of idiots on the road today lol, so just wondering what people recommend. I’m after one with a rear facing cam as well. This is where the issue starts as guessing it needs to be externally mounted so also water proof. Had a look in the usual places amazon, flea bay etc. After some recommendations. TIA

I use the VIOFO A129 Duo. Its a fab peice of kit with many parking mode options that s recommended by many dashcam fb groups. Not sure about using the rear outside, I use my rear inside the back of van as a security camera.

Not sure about the waterproof scenario, but my wife and I got a blinding deal in Halfords this sort of time last year.

Each camera should of been £150, but because of the sales this time of year, both were £200 fitted in the car and van.

Very pleased

Techmoan on YouTube reviews lots of them. I use a Transcend 220 but that’s front facing only. Great idea though.

Blackvue do a very good dual camera system.    I’m guessing you don’t have glass in your back doors?   I have not seen ANY dash cams with water proof rear cameras.   They are all designed to be mounted internal as far as I know.  

You will need a reversing camera if you want to safeguard against anyone pulling out on you or someone walking behind the van without thinking. as for a dashcam just go to Halfords and pick up a next base one for around £45.00 .

I don't understand the need for a rear facing camera, if anything happens behind you that's not your fault unless you're reversing. Reversing sensors normally cover the issue. I use a Nextbase 212 but it keeps turning off so I need to replace it. Prior to that i've had it two years and its been decent though!

I don't understand the need for a rear facing camera, if anything happens behind you that's not your fault unless you're reversing. Reversing sensors normally cover the issue. I use a Nextbase 212 but it keeps turning off so I need to replace it. Prior to that i've had it two years and its been decent though!

Reverse sensors are fine but a rear camera is far better, especially with a bigger van. For some reason I feel more comfortable seeing the back obstacles rather than just listening for them. But that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rear facing cameras would be useful if you had some idiot dangerously overtake you then okie into the side off you.  The front camera wouldn’t see it happen, but the rear would see it unfolding 

Reverse sensors are fine but a rear camera is far better, especially with a bigger van. For some reason I feel more comfortable seeing the back obstacles rather than just listening for them. But that's just me.
Too posh for me that Spruce ?. I had a Qashqai as a hire for a few weeks once, that had cameras all around, that was cool but difficult to adjust back to just reversing sensors. I just don't like becoming too reliant on technology I guess.

Rear facing cameras would be useful if you had some idiot dangerously overtake you then okie into the side off you.  The front camera wouldn’t see it happen, but the rear would see it unfolding 
Doesn't matter how it happens behind you though. Insurance companies worked fine for years without the support of dash cams and always found in favour of the person  in front. If the missus wanted one to report people riding the bumper and intimidating her I would understand. There is one situation where it would come in useful, if they hit you side or behind and drove off the other direction. Rather unlikely though.

It would be nice to think if someone caused a serious crash by driving dangerously the police would do something with the rear facing footage but they wouldn't. In 2017 year a guy wrote our car off, I went through a set of lights on green and he went through and hit us at speed on red. The Police clearly knew one of us went through a red because they're never green at the same time, there were witnesses and I said he had on the 999 call for the ambulance. Because I never said it when the police got there they closed the investigation immediately. I called later to tell them, not because i'm a grass but because had he been 2 seconds later he would have likely killed my boy in the passenger seat, they said to report it to the insurance company!

Doesn't matter how it happens behind you though. Insurance companies worked fine for years without the support of dash cams and always found in favour of the person  in front. If the missus wanted one to report people riding the bumper and intimidating her I would understand. There is one situation where it would come in useful, if they hit you side or behind and drove off the other direction. Rather unlikely though.

It would be nice to think if someone caused a serious crash by driving dangerously the police would do something with the rear facing footage but they wouldn't. In 2017 year a guy wrote our car off, I went through a set of lights on green and he went through and hit us at speed on red. The Police clearly knew one of us went through a red because they're never green at the same time, there were witnesses and I said he had on the 999 call for the ambulance. Because I never said it when the police got there they closed the investigation immediately. I called later to tell them, not because i'm a grass but because had he been 2 seconds later he would have likely killed my boy in the passenger seat, they said to report it to the insurance company!

Eventually cams will be fitted in the indicators and give 360 degrees recording and load in a vehicle's hard drive or one's phone.

I agree. It wasn't that long ago when a driver who rear ended another was viewed as 100% at fault for not leaving a safe stopping gap to the car infront. I think things are not as quite clear cut anymore when it comes to rear end collisions.  Brake testing someone has become more wide spread in recent years. The other thing is that the person at fault will lie like anything to pass the blame and will even say that its not their fault as they were brake tested. The police usually loose interest when there is no injury and if either party blames the other with no clear cut evidence to apportion blame.

A dash cam will certainly provide undisputed proof that you didn't brake test anyone. The wife pulled out of a side street about 4 years ago and hit a car travelling on the road she was intending to take. It was clearly her fault but she argued until she was 'blue in the face' that it was the fault of the oncoming driver. It rambled on for a year before the insurance company told the wife it was her fault.

Up went her insurance costs the following year (she had a no claims bonus) and up went mine as she was a named driver on my car and the van. They wrote the wife's car off and we paid for the remainer after the excess was taken off over the next 3 years with higher insurance premiums. I actually felt quite sorry for the lady the wife hit because she got a bit of a raw deal with the carry on which I didn't believe was justified.

Even today the wife goes ballistic when she is reminded that she had an accident which was her fault.

Often the insurers settle a claim against you when you don't even know about it. We once cleaned windows for a now disgraced local labour councilor. Another customer of ours run into the back of his car at a stop street. The bump was so minimal that the councilor didn't even realise it had happened. He drove away and our customer chased after him, stopped him and inspected for damage. There was none. But our honest customer found out that the accident had been reported to the police and that they had claimed whiplash for 4 occupants of the vehicle (he was the only one in it) and he had also claimed the injuries had caused him to be off work and had suffered financial loss due to the accident. A dash cam would have solved a few heartaches for our honest customer.

A dashcam is on the most wanted list for me.

When we completed our advance driving course many years ago now we were taught to move over as soon as possible when you have a tailgater on your back bumper. Let him/her past and let him/her go ride the bumper of another driver. I still remember that advise today.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we completed our advance driving course many years ago now we were taught to move over as soon as possible when you have a tailgater on your back bumper. Let him/her past and let him/her go ride the bumper of another driver. I still remember that advise today.
These are the ones you need to brake test ?

Too posh for me that Spruce ?. I had a Qashqai as a hire for a few weeks once, that had cameras all around, that was cool but difficult to adjust back to just reversing sensors. I just don't like becoming too reliant on technology I guess.

I have reverse sensors on my current window cleaning van that I fitted. Sometimes I don't consciously hear the beep when I put the van into reverse and then I worry if the sensors are actually working. The rear camera on my soon to be new window cleaning van is much nicer.

I've just got to change the wiring a little so it will also operate when switched on manually. Currently it only comes on when reverse gear is selected. I've ordered a piggy back fuse holder to tap into an ignition feed source so the camera will switch off when the ignition is switched off.

Back