Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

All The PVC, Everytime!

Master Jedi Alejandro

Premium Member
Opinion Time.

Just cleaned my own conservatory, the PVC was green it was so bad! Mum is pleased to bits and it looks great now. It got me wondering, would it be advantageous to offer a full PVC clean (conservatory, fascia, etc) as a regular on every visit to clean the windows? Would certainly take a lot less work and look a lot better than waiting for it to go green. Also, the cost to time ratio should be mega. Folk are use to paying good money as a one off, so say a extra tenner a visit may sound appealing to them and make good profit for us. 

Anyway, thought I’d see folks thoughts on this idea. No idea if I’ll try it. Maybe I’m just bored, I need to go back to work! ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally find they wait til it's green, there also Cultural considerations here they want you to toil and get value for money through haggling.  

Once a year is the closest you will get for repeat custom regarding PVC clean, I believe. Unless it's a Posh, hotel, shop or office entrance. Even a woman with OCD might go for every 6 months at a push. Anyhow Alex, may need your help when I decide to fit a water tank and remove my tool safe. :1f609:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have regular plastic cleanes that are done annually, a few are done more frequently but generally most want it done once a year . I personally prefer this approach as it’s more money for us and the customer comes home to a white trim line rather than green and they feel they have got value for money if it’s done every time it will never go green and the customer will forget what it looks like when it’s green 

I have a quarterly cleaning service on a particular new estate where the gutters are a nice simple design- easy to clean. I clean them every 3 months. I do the gutters (external clean not clear), fascias, soffits and down pipes on a small 3 bed detached for £10 on a 3 month schedule. As they are kept clean and never allowed to get bad it only takes 10mins extra before the window cleaning to do them so I get a good hourly rate and they get gutters clean all year for £40 when I would be charging £60 for a one off clean. All the ones I do have been done from new. If a new customer on that estate with a few year old house wanted it doing they would have to have a £60 first clean to get it up to standard first. I only offer it on that one estate as it just works on there (for comparison I charge £170 for full gutter clean and clear on a 4 bed detached on other estates)

I also used to do a similar thing on selected, easy access conservatory roofs. 

Keeping things clean is a lot easier than getting them clean after years of neglect. Plus it keeps them in better condition.

Once a year is the closest you will get for repeat custom regarding PVC clean, I believe. Unless it's a Posh, hotel, shop or office entrance. Even a woman with OCD might go for every 6 months at a push. Anyhow Alex, may need your help when I decide to fit a water tank and remove my tool safe. :1f609:
Hahaha, I'm free till the end of the week. ? What size you going for?

We have regular plastic cleanes that are done annually, a few are done more frequently but generally most want it done once a year . I personally prefer this approach as it’s more money for us and the customer comes home to a white trim line rather than green and they feel they have got value for money if it’s done every time it will never go green and the customer will forget what it looks like when it’s green 
And how bad to they get in that year? I actually feel the same about the windows. After the first few cleans folk stop noticing the difference. But then you just cast your mind back to what they were like and realise the benefits.

I have a quarterly cleaning service on a particular new estate where the gutters are a nice simple design- easy to clean. I clean them every 3 months. I do the gutters (external clean not clear), fascias, soffits and down pipes on a small 3 bed detached for £10 on a 3 month schedule. As they are kept clean and never allowed to get bad it only takes 10mins extra before the window cleaning to do them so I get a good hourly rate and they get gutters clean all year for £40 when I would be charging £60 for a one off clean. All the ones I do have been done from new. If a new customer on that estate with a few year old house wanted it doing they would have to have a £60 first clean to get it up to standard first. I only offer it on that one estate as it just works on there (for comparison I charge £170 for full gutter clean and clear on a 4 bed detached on other estates)

I also used to do a similar thing on selected, easy access conservatory roofs. 

Keeping things clean is a lot easier than getting them clean after years of neglect. Plus it keeps them in better condition.
How did you approach offering it? Did you wait until after the first proper PVC clean and then say "listen, I can maintain that for you for x amount every few months'?

I feel someone who is house proud would be up for it. And I agree it would keep it in better nick. My own conservatory has stains on it I cant get off, and I'm sure if it was given a regular clean from new they wouldn't be there. 

I started this thread as I wonder if its the next natural step after including the frames. Folk use to pay just to have the glass cleaned. Now its the glass, frames, sills and doors. So adding any other PVC to that list isn't a big jump.

It's good when one of the neigbours refuses to get them cleaned and doesn't clean them. I had many like that because they didn't want to see me making money from them. Now I've been going two years, they are quickly coming round to the idea that its well worth a fiver a month. Now that my round is growing exponentially I really don't need the few that are left on the street. I now have a plan set-up which involves my handyman work. When I do a job for someone I ask if they want their windows done each month because I will only be doing handyman jobs for my window cleaning customers. A customer who left me asked if I could fix a door for him. I replied sorry I only do work for my window cleaning customers. He ended up getting a firm out and it cost him a ton, penny wise pound foolish he now understands.  

It's good when one of the neigbours refuses to get them cleaned and doesn't clean them. I had many like that because they didn't want to see me making money from them. Now I've been going two years, they are quickly coming round to the idea that its well worth a fiver a month. Now that my round is growing exponentially I really don't need the few that are left on the street. I now have a plan set-up which involves my handyman work. When I do a job for someone I ask if they want their windows done each month because I will only be doing handyman jobs for my window cleaning customers. A customer who left me asked if I could fix a door for him. I replied sorry I only do work for my window cleaning customers. He ended up getting a firm out and it cost him a ton, penny wise pound foolish he now understands.  

Trouble is my cheapest plastic clean is £60 up to many hundreds , it would be difficult to do that evey month personally I think more money can be made to do it annually or 6 monthly on particular bad ones unless it’s a commercial job then on some yes they will have it done monthly we do some jobs like this with signage that we do monthly 

How did you approach offering it? Did you wait until after the first proper PVC clean and then say "listen, I can maintain that for you for x amount every few months'?

I feel someone who is house proud would be up for it. And I agree it would keep it in better nick. My own conservatory has stains on it I cant get off, and I'm sure if it was given a regular clean from new they wouldn't be there. 

I started this thread as I wonder if its the next natural step after including the frames. Folk use to pay just to have the glass cleaned. Now its the glass, frames, sills and doors. So adding any other PVC to that list isn't a big jump.
I made flyers explaining it and posted them through my window cleaning customers doors. When the customers asked about them I would explain again that the service is regular to keep them clean rather than them being allowed to get really dirty and then need expensive remedial work doing. It's also cheap. Im really targeting the people who are house proud as the good Jedi above said ? The top of the flyer says "Keep your New House Looking New!"

Oh and it has to be Direct Debit.

People being what they are, they would be less likely to sign up if I offered it them after the first clean.

I made flyers explaining it and posted them through my window cleaning customers doors. When the customers asked about them I would explain again that the service is regular to keep them clean rather than them being allowed to get really dirty and then need expensive remedial work doing. It's also cheap. Im really targeting the people who are house proud as the good Jedi above said ? The top of the flyer says "Keep your New House Looking New!"

Oh and it has to be Direct Debit.

People being what they are, they would be less likely to sign up if I offered it them after the first clean.
Right so your using the ‘saves you money’ approach. It is a good angle. I think I’ll give this a go. Will approach current customers and see what they say, the ones who’ve paid for extra work done in the past. Seems to be a good way of maximising profits on the one job. 

How do you find the drip down? Do you do PVC on one side then move down to the windows, or do you do all the PVC first then start again with windows?

Right so your using the ‘saves you money’ approach. It is a good angle. I think I’ll give this a go. Will approach current customers and see what they say, the ones who’ve paid for extra work done in the past. Seems to be a good way of maximising profits on the one job. 

How do you find the drip down? Do you do PVC on one side then move down to the windows, or do you do all the PVC first then start again with windows?
It's not bad at all with the drips. I always give it a last go along the underside with the water turned off to collect any drips and excess water clinging to the soffits. I just crack on with the windows on the same side then.

It's not bad at all with the drips. I always give it a last go along the underside with the water turned off to collect any drips and excess water clinging to the soffits. I just crack on with the windows on the same side then.
Ahh got ya. Well thanks for the advice. Its something I think I'll start offering, to select customers anyway. Hope your having a decent day!

Back