P4dstar

WCW for RO Filters?

spruce
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, steve garwood said:

Cheers. Where abouts did you connect yours? Can’t quite work it out from the pictures .

Sorry to be a pain 🙂.

Also, noticed you use JG connectors, did you have to adapt the metre fittings to fit it?

The unit can be fitted anywhere on the inlet side of the r/o. The most usual place would be on the pipe before the prefilters. I believe that that counter can be fitted in a pipe that is either vertical or horizontal. I have an all in one unit which can only be fitted horizontally. Mine is similar to the Digiflow 6700M shown on the Vyair website, but has the additional feature of being able to count down to zero from a preset start. I have mine plugged into the exit of the carbon block filter but before the r/o inlet of my 4040 housing.

For this meter to work your r/o needs to consume more than 1.5lpm of water.

Vyair do a similar range and they do lower flow meters for smaller r/o's

https://www.vyair.com/fittings-and-spares/test-equipment/digital-flow-meters.html

As far as the John Guest fittings are concerned, @P4dstar's unit has bsp threads.  @P4dstar will need to tell us where he got those JG fittings.

Edited by spruce

steve garwood
36 minutes ago, spruce said:

The unit can be fitted anywhere on the inlet side of the r/o. The most usual place would be on the pipe before the prefilters. I believe that that counter can be fitted in a pipe that is either vertical or horizontal. I have an all in one unit which can only be fitted horizontally. Mine is similar to the Digiflow 6700M shown on the Vyair website, but has the additional feature of being able to count down to zero from a preset start. I have mine plugged into the exit of the carbon block filter but before the r/o inlet of my 4040 housing.

For this meter to work your r/o needs to consume more than 1.5lpm of water.

Vyair do a similar range and they do lower flow meters for smaller r/o's

https://www.vyair.com/fittings-and-spares/test-equipment/digital-flow-meters.html

As far as the John Guest fittings are concerned, @P4dstar's unit has bsp threads.  @P4dstar will need to tell us where he got those JG fittings.

Thank you 👍🙂

Jango

Vyair do John Guest fittings.

When we fitted the inline tds meter. My system is fitted out in John Guest pipe, so I had to get some John Guest fittings to adapt. I got them from vyair. 

Now you @P4dstar @spruce @steve garwood Have got me wanting this gadget too. 😄😄

P4dstar
8 hours ago, steve garwood said:

Cheers. Where abouts did you connect yours? Can’t quite work it out from the pictures .

Sorry to be a pain 🙂.

Also, noticed you use JG connectors, did you have to adapt the metre fittings to fit it?

The meter I bought had 1/2'' BSP so I added the 1/2'' BSP to 1/2'' push fit adapters you can see in the pic. Gardiners have since stopped selling these. They recommended I buy the 3/8'' BSP ones and a reducer. All of these thread sizes, metric & imperial etc confuse the hell out of me and i've never managed to find the same sort of thing elsewhere but I won't need any until I add a second pump to the van.

I have a Hozelock size connection with a 1/2'' push fit on the other side, goes into the shut off valve first, then the flow meter then a singular TDS meter so I can see the tap TDS and finally into the pre-filters and RO.

Coming out the RO I have the usual waste pipe, just some cheap hose. For the pure I have gone with John guest again, and installed a splitter so I can dump the first bit of water that comes out and beat the TDS creep.Got a dual TDS Meter too so I can measure in and out of the DI. 

IMG_9377.JPG

Oh yeah and since that pic i've gone double DI.... Maximum savings and all that.

spruce
14 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

The meter I bought had 1/2'' BSP so I added the 1/2'' BSP to 1/2'' push fit adapters you can see in the pic. Gardiners have since stopped selling these. They recommended I buy the 3/8'' BSP ones and a reducer. All of these thread sizes, metric & imperial etc confuse the hell out of me and i've never managed to find the same sort of thing elsewhere but I won't need any until I add a second pump to the van.

I have a Hozelock size connection with a 1/2'' push fit on the other side, goes into the shut off valve first, then the flow meter then a singular TDS meter so I can see the tap TDS and finally into the pre-filters and RO.

Coming out the RO I have the usual waste pipe, just some cheap hose. For the pure I have gone with John guest again, and installed a splitter so I can dump the first bit of water that comes out and beat the TDS creep.Got a dual TDS Meter too so I can measure in and out of the DI. 

IMG_9377.JPG

Oh yeah and since that pic i've gone double DI.... Maximum savings and all that.

That's why I asked the question regarding JG fittings. Gardiners do the 3/4" tap connector to 1/2" push fit hose adaptor but not 1/2" to 1/2". You could easily add a hozelock 3/4" tap to 1/2" reducer. They come standard as part of a hozelock tap connector.

The white bit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hozelock-Threaded-Outdoor-Tap-Hose-End-Connector-2175-3-4-and-1-2/173160954823?hash=item2851327bc7:m:mCL1q4VXQf3lKgz7bsACp9g:rk:99:pf:0

or a reducer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Bush-BSP-Thread-Male-Female-Reducer-Connector-Adaptor-Tap-Radiator-Pipe/222343799019?hash=item33c4b920eb:m:m2rEDGe2Ns-8lF3s8ofSwDg:rk:4:pf:0

P4dstar
7 minutes ago, spruce said:

That's why I asked the question regarding JG fittings. Gardiners do the 3/4" tap connector to 1/2" push fit hose adaptor but not 1/2" to 1/2". You could easily add a hozelock 3/4" tap to 1/2" reducer. They come standard as part of a hozelock tap connector.

The white bit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hozelock-Threaded-Outdoor-Tap-Hose-End-Connector-2175-3-4-and-1-2/173160954823?hash=item2851327bc7:m:mCL1q4VXQf3lKgz7bsACp9g:rk:99:pf:0

or a reducer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Bush-BSP-Thread-Male-Female-Reducer-Connector-Adaptor-Tap-Radiator-Pipe/222343799019?hash=item33c4b920eb:m:m2rEDGe2Ns-8lF3s8ofSwDg:rk:4:pf:0

I understand more about this kind of stuff now but for a complete newbie who doesn't understand the difference between imperial and metric it is daunting. Ideally I just want to be able to buy the correct connection and fit it, not have to put reducers in the mix.

My neighbour is a store manager for City Plumbing, he took a list of the fittings I have and said he could order them in and would check, next day he says he can't just order them but he would check the with the rep from JG. The rep from JG still hasn't got an answer 3 months later. If you search for 1/2'' John Guest on Google you get a whole load of 1/2'' BSP to 15mm (or similar) type connections.

spruce
31 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

I understand more about this kind of stuff now but for a complete newbie who doesn't understand the difference between imperial and metric it is daunting. Ideally I just want to be able to buy the correct connection and fit it, not have to put reducers in the mix.

My neighbour is a store manager for City Plumbing, he took a list of the fittings I have and said he could order them in and would check, next day he says he can't just order them but he would check the with the rep from JG. The rep from JG still hasn't got an answer 3 months later. If you search for 1/2'' John Guest on Google you get a whole load of 1/2'' BSP to 15mm (or similar) type connections.

As a foreigner I don't understand why Britain still runs two standards, imperial and metric. Gardiner sells imperial hose and JG fitting to suit. A plumbing store will sell metric for pipe work, 15mm and 22mm. We measure our weight in stones rather than kgs. We fuel the van in liters but drive in miles and record our speed in miles. It just don't make sense to me.

Part Timer
4 minutes ago, spruce said:

As a foreigner I don't understand why Britain still runs two standards, imperial and metric. Gardiner sells imperial hose and JG fitting to suit. A plumbing store will sell metric for pipe work, 15mm and 22mm. We measure our weight in stones rather than kgs. We fuel the van in liters but drive in miles and record our speed in miles. It just don't make sense to me.

That's the EU for you

P4dstar

Bloody foreigner, coming over here demanding to know what love is! 🤣😂

I wonder how many people will get that one.... 🧐

spruce
2 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

I got it.

Part Timer
9 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Only the old ones, I did

P4dstar
26 minutes ago, spruce said:

Just had a little search and I think it would be possible to convert everything to metric, then everything could be replaced at the local plumbers merchants... Doesn't seem something worth doing at the moment but in general it would be handy I reckon.

spruce
5 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Just had a little search and I think it would be possible to convert everything to metric, then everything could be replaced at the local plumbers merchants... Doesn't seem something worth doing at the moment but in general it would be handy I reckon.

The Americans are into their thing as well. What's a 7/64" drill bit? What's 22 gauge wire or steel plate? Or why the difference between US gallons and Imperial gallons?

Whats the difference between a mile and a nautical mile? If a nautical mile fits in with the degrees of latitude at the equator, then why don't they just standardize the nautical mile measurement for all distances on earth. 

My father sent a photo from Africa of a 1950's Bedford pickup he had purchased to tow a caravan to his relatives in Britain. On the back he wrote that he had made a steel canopy for this 'vanette' and that the vanette was 115cwt. Absolutely meaningless to me. The only reason I know what my height is in feet and inches is that it says so in my British passport. I know the length of my Gardiner pole because Alex says its a 22' pole and I believe him.

I struggled in my early years through primary school with Maths (math). In October 1964 Northern Rhodesia became independant from Britain and became Zambia. The best thing Kuanda did for me was to  scrap imperial measurements and go completely metric. (Kuanda did a lot of bad for the country as well). Within a few days Maths and money started to make sense to me. But the teachers were confused.😂

Part Timer
26 minutes ago, spruce said:

vanette' and that the vanette was 115cwt. Absolutely meaningless to me.

Approximately 5750kgs, 

spruce
4 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

Approximately 5750kgs, 

Sorry. I've just dug deep into the archives and it was a 25cwt Bedford. So that's 1 &1/4 ton which I presume is its payload.

P4dstar
3 hours ago, spruce said:

In October 1964 Northern Rhodesia became independant from Britain and became Zambia.

I was under the impression that all of Rhodesia is now modern day Zimbabwe, named after the ruins?

As for miles I seem to remember from School that they had several different distances for a mile and Queen Elizabeth I decided to just use one, reportedly in an argument with an advisor as the different measurements made her angry... When you decide something 500 years ago, might be a good idea to look them over now and again!

spruce
16 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

I was under the impression that all of Rhodesia is now modern day Zimbabwe, named after the ruins?

As for miles I seem to remember from School that they had several different distances for a mile and Queen Elizabeth I decided to just use one, reportedly in an argument with an advisor as the different measurements made her angry... When you decide something 500 years ago, might be a good idea to look them over now and again!

I think it extends to the whole continent of Africa sadly although sometimes it could extend to every country in the world.

P4dstar
28 minutes ago, spruce said:

I think it extends to the whole continent of Africa sadly although sometimes it could extend to every country in the world.

You've lost me Spruce 🤯 Sorry 

Part Timer
3 hours ago, spruce said:

Sorry. I've just dug deep into the archives and it was a 25cwt Bedford. So that's 1 &1/4 ton which I presume is its payload.

200 stone :delusional:

P4dstar
4 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

200 stone :delusional:

Both mine and your fat ar5es will fit in there PT, road trip!! 😂

Part Timer
19 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Both mine and your fat ar5es will fit in there PT, road trip!! 😂

Would love to organise a Saturday night p!ss up somewhere for members on here. Something possibly @Gavcould put a poll up to see if other members are up for. 

P4dstar
8 hours ago, Part Timer said:

Would love to organise a Saturday night p!ss up somewhere for members on here. Something possibly @Gavcould put a poll up to see if other members are up for. 

Yeah man. Possibly not an open invite to all, could get a bit messy 😂

steve garwood
Posted (edited)

Wow, you lot really know how to spend your Saturday night, talking about metric and imperial 😳

Rock n roll 😂😂

Edited by steve garwood

P4dstar
6 hours ago, steve garwood said:

Wow, you lot really know how to spend your Saturday night, talking about metric and imperial 😳

Rock n roll 😂😂

I didn't even notice it was Saturday 😂🤣😆

Iron Giant
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Part Timer said:

Like a Jolly Boys  Outing
🤪

Edited by Iron Giant