Jump to content
Johnwindow1987

Roof clean

Recommended Posts

Johnwindow1987

Hi all I have been asked to clean this roof front and back. I’m wondering what u would do and what type of price would be charged? Never really done this but person said they would like it jet washed because of all the moss on roof. Thanks for any advice IMG_0144.JPG

 

 

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
windowgleamtrowbridge

From the posts I've read before, pressure washing a roof isn't very good for it. Plus the moss will fly everywhere you don't want it to!

Sky Scraper roof cleaning tools also come up quite often. They're about £200. But will be paid off in one clean. They attach directly to a WFP so it can be done from the ground.

It's also been suggested you use a surfactant to kill the moss off a few days before scraping it so it comes off nice and easy and doesn't begin to grow back right away.

As for price, I don't do roofs (yet) so I wouldn't be able to answer that one with confidence. But I don't see why it wouldn't be around £300-500.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
cormie76

Here in Ireland u be lucky to get 300 euro to clean that u could tackle it both ways power washing would be my preferred choice messy but instant results


Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post


Pjj
1 hour ago, windowgleamtrowbridge said:

From the posts I've read before, pressure washing a roof isn't very good for it. Plus the moss will fly everywhere you don't want it to!

Sky Scraper roof cleaning tools also come up quite often. They're about £200. But will be paid off in one clean. They attach directly to a WFP so it can be done from the ground.

It's also been suggested you use a surfactant to kill the moss off a few days before scraping it so it comes off nice and easy and doesn't begin to grow back right away.

As for price, I don't do roofs (yet) so I wouldn't be able to answer that one with confidence. But I don't see why it wouldn't be around £300-500.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
 

 

 

I wouldnt want  to tackle that for less than 1k but doubt the customer would want to pay that , roof cleaning isn’t as easy as people think , be careful you don’t shoot yourself in the foot 

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar

I've not started roof cleaning yet but i've done a fair bit of research as I plan to start this year.

 

General consensus is that pressure washing is a bad idea, the moss and water can be blown underneath the tiles and cause damage. Many roof tiles also have a protective coating that could be damaged by pressure washing.

 

Marshall pro tools fit to the end of a pole and scrape the loose moss down. Some say to spray first, scrape a few days later and spray again, most say to scrap, spray and return to ensure it is all clear. Don't waste your time spraying Biocide if rain is forecast in the following 24 hours.

 

Regarding price the going rate appears to be anything between £25 & £40 a square metre depending on where in the country you are.

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
1 minute ago, Pjj said:

I wouldnt want  to tackle that for less than 1k but doubt the customer would want to pay that , roof cleaning isn’t as easy as people think , be careful you don’t shoot yourself in the foot 

Biggest bit of advice I kept coming across was the customer is expecting the roof to look brand new at the end of it. Funny this topic should come up as I saw a roof that has been cleaned very well by the only lads round here that do roof cleaning. I remember when they were doing it because they had roof ladders and literally scraped in sections down. I go to that street every 8 weeks and the next time I went it looked like the roof had been replaced compared to the houses next to it. It was a big job, 3 central terraced houses. Large terraced houses though, not one up one down efforts. They still have a sign out the front nearly a year later, the sign is simple, just says BCS Roof cleaning, moss and roof cleaning specialists. The first thing you do is look up. If you're on here BCS, cracking job on Kings road pal, still looking good a year on!

Share this post


Link to post
scottish cleaning service

I was discussing roof cleaning with my wee mate, a roofer. I have now come to the conclusion that it would be better to just spray whole roof with Hypo and leave it. In the fullness of time the moss will die and land in the gutter. I would tell the customer that I would be back in 3 months to clear the gutters.

Share this post


Link to post
DJT

Benz soft wash have a great website all about chemicals to use, costing and also how to remove moss safely. A good read 

Share this post


Link to post
Green Pro Clean Ltd
2 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

I was discussing roof cleaning with my wee mate, a roofer. I have now come to the conclusion that it would be better to just spray whole roof with Hypo and leave it. In the fullness of time the moss will die and land in the gutter. I would tell the customer that I would be back in 3 months to clear the gutters.

 

Just cause the moss is dead does not mean it will 'fall off' 

Try a roof or two first then tell me I'm wrong. 

 

The best results are always a scraping by hand THEN spraying the roof with hypo to clean it then a bio for retarding future growth. 

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
27 minutes ago, Green Pro Clean Ltd said:

The best results are always a scraping by hand THEN spraying the roof with hypo to clean it then a bio for retarding future growth. 

Would you scrub it after the Hypo or just leave it to do its stuff before you put Bio on dude? Also, how long would you leave between the 2 products? I saw someone else suggest ''you could use hypo first'' but he didn't elaborate as it wasn't something he did, just straight to bio.

Share this post


Link to post
Green Pro Clean Ltd
3 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

I was discussing roof cleaning with my wee mate, a roofer. I have now come to the conclusion that it would be better to just spray whole roof with Hypo and leave it. In the fullness of time the moss will die and land in the gutter. I would tell the customer that I would be back in 3 months to clear the gutters.

 

After hypo a thorough rinse with water before bio. About 10 mins between coats of hypo. Within 10 mins it will have pretty much done all it's going to.  

The one other thing I will throw out there as everyone shouts 'chuck some hypo on it' is that right now that advice is pretty much pointless and if they had any experience of hypo they'd know why. 🤔

Share this post


Link to post


P4dstar
3 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

the moss will die and land in the gutter

I don't know if I live in an abnormal area but some of the houses round here are so caped in moss that allowing it to just fall into the gutter would create a massive mess. Now I have my vac I clear my own gutters and they're full again in a month, that's not an exaggeration. Before my vac I managed to pull 3 foot of cylindrical moss from one down pipe. Loads of houses round here are the same. The house pictured in this thread looks great in comparison to most I see daily.

Share this post


Link to post
CM Cleaning Services

I recently did this with a jet wash you can clearly see the difference and result was instant ...... However what you can't see is the mess of the patio where all the moss went flying 🤣🤣 .... In hind sight now scraping moss of first and then jet washing would of been best course of action 🤣🤣IMG_20181220_100926.jpegIMG_20181220_142226.jpeg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
scottish cleaning service

Good time to give it a spray of Hypo or Bio now that the roof is cleared?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.