Plj

RO or Resin for cleaning

Plj

Hello Everyone 

I would be grateful for a bit of advise. I live in a hard water area and have no water supplier nearby so was thinking to use just resin. Would this be ok and how would the setup work.

thanks

Gerry Scrimshaw

How hard is your water? Probably find you would get through too much to be viable, better to buy R/O system then polish it off with resin.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

Plj

Thanks Gerry, I was hoping you wouldn't say that as we don't have the facilities to have an RO system. I have seen people in this area (Surrey) use resin, that is why I thought this could be a viable option?

Gerry Scrimshaw

Really need to find how hard your water is first. Get a TDS meter, if others around you are just using Resin you might get away with it. Hopefully other windies might be able to tell you what level of TDS you could go to. I’m on 350 plus in my area so never even thought of trying just resin. Even the kettle dies in a year on tap water.

Clisty1989

Other option is double di, 2 vessels in line. Once second di hits 1ppm, change resin in 1st di and swap them. You'll get about 50% more use from your resin that way, so will still go through a lot of resin, but will be ok short term.

Other option is an ro in the van.

I should add I'm lucky with a TDs of 70 I'm so only so can't give accurate figures on savings etc.

Plj

Have just taken a TDs reading, hoping it's not faulty, it says 205, I'm guessing that's high and resin not really an option? 

P4dstar
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Clisty1989 said:

Other option is double di, 2 vessels in line.

I found this painful on my wallet at 175PPM. We have since risen as high as 430. Yesterday it was 279. I can't even begin to think how I would be getting on without an RO.

I agree on the onboard RO system idea. @Plj if you live in a block of flats or too far to run a hose to the van perhaps a friend or family member could help. If you're going to rely on someone else then make sure you get a booster though, just incase you have to fill up somewhere else.

You can always purchase pure. It says you're in Leatherhead which puts you smack in the middle of 3 different spotless water sites. Once you have a full round and need a lot of water it would be worth renting a small storage container or garage, someone will sort you something with a water supply i'm sure? It probably wouldn't save you money so much as save you stress and effort.

Edited by P4dstar

Tuffers

I used to live in an area where the TDS was below 060 and I was double DI only. I moved to an area where the TDS is about 200. I then bought an RO.

dazmond
10 hours ago, Plj said:

Have just taken a TDs reading, hoping it's not faulty, it says 205, I'm guessing that's high and resin not really an option? 

thats far too high....youll be spending a fortune on resin....my TDS reading from my tap is 029(i know im very lucky!)and use around 3 bags a year...£270 a year...

youll be using around 3 bags A MONTH!☹️

Gerry Scrimshaw

Brilliant calculators thanks, if I didn’t use R/O it would cost me £224 per month in resin.

Gerry Scrimshaw

Brilliant calculators thanks, if I didn’t use R/O it would cost me £224 per month in resin.

dazmond

You could lease a brand new van for less than that....

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Plj

I didn’t realise how expensive that would be, I wonder how the ones I’ve seen with resin around my area get away with it then. @P4dstar you are right i am on leatherhead and have only found one water supplier in Sutton, would be grateful if you could point out the other two?

solarpanelcleaningltd

It’s all relative. If you can take 4 grand a month then £300 on resin ain’t so bad. Not ideal but not terrible.

P4dstar
On 03/01/2019 at 18:50, Plj said:

I didn’t realise how expensive that would be, I wonder how the ones I’ve seen with resin around my area get away with it then. @P4dstar you are right i am on leatherhead and have only found one water supplier in Sutton, would be grateful if you could point out the other two?

Sorry bud, only just spotted this..... Molesly, Croydon & Guildford....

https://spotlesswater.co.uk/Home/SearchLocations

There will undoubtably be other companies local to you as well.

10 minutes ago, solarpanelcleaningltd said:

It’s all relative. If you can take 4 grand a month then £300 on resin ain’t so bad. Not ideal but not terrible.

If you can cut that down though, £300 a month is 7.5% of 4k, can't afford to chuck that away lightly. But I agree you need to speculate to accumulate sometimes.

Cottonlung

Does anyone use RO for soft water under 99ppm say? Im Pondering on it as my tap water is roughly 80ppm and currently using twin DI. 

spruce
6 minutes ago, Cottonlung said:

Does anyone use RO for soft water under 99ppm say? Im Pondering on it as my tap water is roughly 80ppm and currently using twin DI. 

If you are not on a water meter then its still good to r/o your water at that tds IMHO.

If you are on a water meter then you need to account for the extra water cost of processing water against the cost of resin used in your di vessel. Also you need to account for replacement filter costs and convenience/inconvenience.

Cottonlung
4 minutes ago, spruce said:

If you are not on a water meter then its still good to r/o your water at that tds IMHO.

If you are on a water meter then you need to account for the extra water cost of processing water against the cost of resin used in your di vessel. Also you need to account for replacement filter costs and convenience/inconvenience.

Thanks, no not on a water meter, although helps lower the tax bill buying resin through the year.. at the moment it's more convenient to use DI, I can fill on the go if ever caught short of water

spruce
2 minutes ago, Cottonlung said:

Thanks, no not on a water meter, although helps lower the tax bill buying resin through the year.. at the moment it's more convenient to use DI, I can fill on the go if ever caught short of water

Yeah, but you still have to earn it first. The tax man isn't giving you it all back. He's only giving you the your taxable portion back. So actually he's giving you nothing.

P4dstar
3 minutes ago, Cottonlung said:

Never understood when people say this. If you're earning over the tax threshold then you're only saving 20% (40% for the high earners although I assume they would have gone limited by then) on each purchase. So if you spend £1000 on something then that £1000 isn't taxed, I would rather £800 in my pocket and £200 in the tax mans than neither.... Seems a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face to me. I can understand investing in equipment or property that becomes an asset of course.

Cottonlung
2 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Never understood when people say this. If you're earning over the tax threshold then you're only saving 20% (40% for the high earners although I assume they would have gone limited by then) on each purchase. So if you spend £1000 on something then that £1000 isn't taxed, I would rather £800 in my pocket and £200 in the tax mans than neither.... Seems a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face to me. I can understand investing in equipment or property that becomes an asset of course.

Alright keep your hair on. Haha.. 

spruce
1 minute ago, Cottonlung said:

😂Its a very popular misconception. We were taught to say this at sales training courses and without further questioning, I believed it was correct. It was only later when it was explained to me that the proverbial penny dropped. I said it to the wrong person. 😯

P4dstar
19 minutes ago, Cottonlung said:

Sorry, day 7 of stopping smoking... Snappy little f**ker today 🤣

But seriously, no offence meant dude!

Cottonlung
12 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Sorry, day 7 of stopping smoking... Snappy little f**ker today 🤣

But seriously, no offence meant dude!

Haha no worries..  I know the score, by day 11 of no smoking if you haven't killed anyone you'll be over the worst 😂