Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie..Bought Van and need to kit it out.

Benny M

Hi

I have recently bought a van and want to have a DIY setup. Trouble is, I don't really know where to start, what to buy and how to fit it. Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction please? I dont need the very best equipment, just reliable. I live in Dorset and so would love some advice please. I want to set the van up so Im capable of running a 2 man system. If there is anyway that someone can give me some idea of the individual parts that I need i would really appreciate it. Thanks again. Ben 

Hey man,

Well done for getting the van.

Where abouts in Dorset are you?

Well first, work out what size tank you want/need. Remembering the legal weight load. You’ll need a tank, ideally a steel retaining safety frame (some use straps)

pump, controller hose reel, battery etc.

but before all that you could water proof paint the inside. 

Added to this would be to decide if you want to fit a 'plug and play' unit into your van (filter water directly into your vans tank) or filter water separately into a storage tank to transfer into your van's tank when required.

Example of a 'plug and play' unit -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/650L-FULLY-FITTED-WATER-FED-POLE-WINDOW-CLEANING-SYSTEM/250667389976?hash=item3a5cf0d418:g:KwYAAOxyOM5RZNvm

A delivery unit will be the same unit less the r/o housing and membrane, the prefilters and the di vessel as these would be near your storage tank.

Hi I'm near Weymouth. Just looking at this https://www.thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk/the-new-water-genie-di-system-6394-p.asp

Thoughts would be appreciated. May go a bit bigger as don't want to have to upgrade anytime soon. 

If I was to buy all of the bits separately and do it myself, is it fairly simple to do and would you recommend doing it that way

cheers

ben
I think 650l tanks are the sweet spot, I work a full day (6-7 hours on average ) residential properties on a 400l system with a few barrels for the back pack when required. I think if you get to the stage where you are emptying a 650l in a day you’ll have plent of ££ to upgrade to a dream system. Many on here run a 650l for a two man set up.

I have a diy 500L system. I bit very diy minded but managed to do it with the small help of a mate.

The only thing i did and would recommend is getting a mechanic to bolt the steel frame in for you, pay him £20/£30. 

The rest is using a socket set, a drill & very basic push fit John guest pipe work.

If you’re not confident with the wiring you could always ask a auto electrician, my mate used some old boy who was semi retired who did it for peanuts (figuratively)

After too much thinking and some more thinking I fitted an uncomplicated 2 man setup to replace my one man tank. 

Months ago I was looking at things like what's the best battery and so on, so overall I've probably spent a ridiculous amount of time for what it is but hopefully that will be it for a couple of years. 

Back