Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any new years resolutions?

P4dstar

Premium Member
Any of you boys got any new years resolutions? I've given up smoking, haven't had a cigarette since last year. Before anyone says it's only the 3rd, sod off ?

I'm also trying to be more tolerant and ignore things I can't control. I spend a lot of my life moaning about things like politicians and snowflakes, figure this doesn't do me any good. Difficult to do while giving up smoking mind!

Giving up smoking is probably one of the most difficult things I have ever done, been a non smokers for approx 15 years so god I did it fingers cross you succeed. 

Not stressing and taking each day as it comes just bought a cheap campervan going to try that this a year see if it’s for us and if we like like upgrade to a better one. 

Good on you. Keep it up.

Im gonna proper get back into playing football. I got quite depressed over the last year, and completely stopped exercising despite buying a fancy bike last year ?

played football news day afternoon and got injured lol

*new years day

So to the original question:

Yes, I plan to do 3hrs of either running, football or cycling a week.

Giving up smoking is probably one of the most difficult things I have ever done, been a non smokers for approx 15 years so god I did it fingers cross you succeed. 

Not stressing and taking each day as it comes just bought a cheap campervan going to try that this a year see if it’s for us and if we like like upgrade to a better one. 
Fair play to you mate. I've done it before, lasted 6 months. Ended up at the hospital one night and on a nebuliser, doctor told me had I left it another couple of hours I would have died. Just from a little asthma and a chest infection! Started again because we were at a BBQ with some friends and I thought one wouldn't hurt. Same thing happened about 2 years later and I managed 4 months, thought I could use the excuse of being on Holiday.

I got a chest infection over xmas but this time I decided to give up before it gets to the same point as last time!!

Do the cravings ever actually go away?

Im gonna proper get back into playing football
You can always sponsor the team, good advertising and tax deductible ?

Get out of window cleaning, don’t want to do another winter...
Didn't see that one coming, it's been mild this year so far man. What do you plan to do?

Fair play to you mate. I've done it before, lasted 6 months. Ended up at the hospital one night and on a nebuliser, doctor told me had I left it another couple of hours I would have died. Just from a little asthma and a chest infection! Started again because we were at a BBQ with some friends and I thought one wouldn't hurt. Same thing happened about 2 years later and I managed 4 months, thought I could use the excuse of being on Holiday.

I got a chest infection over xmas but this time I decided to give up before it gets to the same point as last time!!

Do the cravings ever actually go away?

You can always sponsor the team, good advertising and tax deductible ?

Didn't see that one coming, it's been mild this year so far man. What do you plan to do?
Haha exactly the same as me I have asthma, don’t know how many times I gave up including approx 6months at a party thought one won’t hurt bla bla bla ended up smoking again. Smoked from a really young age fast forward 15 years later and my lungs have never felt better. 

Took approx 2 years before I stopped fancing a smoke but now can’t stand it near me they say the reformed smoker is the worst to critique smokers and that’s right in my case lol

Dunno
emoji848.png
I hear the conservative party might be in market for a new leader some time soon ?

Haha exactly the same as me I have asthma, don’t know how many times I gave up including approx 6months at a party thought one won’t hurt bla bla bla ended up smoking again. Smoked from a really young age fast forward 15 years later and my lungs have never felt better. 

Took approx 2 years before I stopped fancing a smoke but now can’t stand it near me they say the reformed smoker is the worst to critique smokers and that’s right in my case lol
The last 2 times i've properly given up I kept telling myself I could have one in the future. It helps me to think that I can have one in the future even if its years away. Currently working on the theory I can start again when i'm about 80 ?

I’ve never ever tried a cigarette, and tbh I’m proud I haven’t ever tried one. Must be so hard trying to quit something that’s addictive, easy to get & surrounded by lots of people doing it. But it’s very possible.

Go for it !!

The story I'm about to tell is true. I went to the Doctors 15 years ago with an ear infection. He then started to ask if there was a history of heart problems in my family, I had just turned 40. My Father, who was under the very same Doctor, had a long history of heart problems, so why he asked I don't know. Anyway it ended up me being asked some very embarrassing questions, did I smoke and how many units of alcohol did I  drink every week, and then a blood pressure test. After the test came back with a BP reading of 185/120 and me being totally honest about having 40 units a week, I was told that unless I stopped smoking, cut my alcohol intake by half and lost weight I would die very early. 

I walked out jumped in my car and lit a f@g. After driving a few hundred yards I thought what are you doing, the Doctor told me I had to stop smoking. I threw the f@g out of the window and I can honestly say I've never had another puff of one since then. 

Before anyone says well done, I am still a fat alcoholic though ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The story I'm able to tell is true, I went to the Doctors 15 years ago with an ear infection. He then started to ask if there was a history of heart problems in my family, I had just turned 40. My Father, who was under the very same Doctor, had a long history of heart problems, so why he asked I don't know. Anyway it ended up me being asked some very embarrassing questions, did I smoke and how many units of alcohol did I  drink every week, and then a blood pressure test. After the test came back with a BP reading of 185/120 and me being totally honest about having 40 units a week, I was told that unless I stopped smoking, cut my alcohol intake by half and lost weight I would die very early. 

I walked out jumped in my car and lit a f@g. After driving a few hundred yards I thought what are you doing, the Doctor told me I had to stop smoking. I threw the f@g out of the window and I can honestly say I've never had another puff of one since then. 

Before anyone says well done, I am still a fat alcoholic though ?
I remember that feeling the first time, I told the doctor straight ''I'm not a smoker anymore'' and she basically laughed at me. I didn't even have ''one last one'' I just binned them. My mistakes came further down the line, wish I hadn't been so stupid. Just one I thought, same again a few days later, then I thought I was in control and could have one as and when I felt like. Very quickly this became one a day and before long I was back on it.

Being a fat alcoholic is better than being a fat alcoholic smoker mind!

Any of you boys got any new years resolutions? I've given up smoking, haven't had a cigarette since last year. Before anyone says it's only the 3rd, sod off ?

I'm also trying to be more tolerant and ignore things I can't control. I spend a lot of my life moaning about things like politicians and snowflakes, figure this doesn't do me any good. Difficult to do while giving up smoking mind!

Best way mate otherwise stress starts to creep in as well, to a point I'm a control freak my wife tells me because I am so used to being in control of the business that it spills over in the house that I have to do almost everything so I feel I can control it, But I would get stressed about the slightest thing and whinge for the sake of I still can't shake it off totally but I ain't stressed anymore.

40 Marlboro a day for 25 years.  Couldn't quit, didn't want to quit.  Mrs nagged me into submission.  Went to the quack got on the 'New leaf program' (Champix pills) 

40 a day to ten in less than a week completely off them in 12 days. Gave me nightmares. Wake up screaming like a baby nightmares. But got me off fags. 

Boxing day last year marks 6 years no smoking. Don't miss it.  When I quit was £8.50 per pack. 

That's over £37k I haven't spent on fags!  

When i was 25/26 i was 5 stone overweight, smoked 10-15 a day, and not particularly feeling good about myself. Stood in a bar one night having a couple of pints, the music was so loud i couldn’t hear anybody speak. I thought...what is the point? What am i doing here? I went home to bed, heart starting beating very weirdly and was struggling to breathe, as if maybe a cardiac arrest was in the pipeline. I said “that’s it” im going cold turkey on the cigs. Didn’t go out drinking for fear of ending up back on them. First 4 nights i had nightmares, the shakes, cold sweats & hallucinations. Couldn’t put up with it so i thought “come on, be realistic, you are nicotine addicted” and needed a substitute. ive been on a vape ever since, but haven’t touched a real ciggy. 3 years on i am 5 stone lighter and have a much healthier lifestyle. My social life suffered massively but i became much closer to my family and more in tune with my health to make up for it. The mere thought of a hangover terrifies me and smoking i wish id never started. Its not easy but well done to anybody trying to shake off the evils of society its one of the hardest things you can do. Nicotine is more addictive than crack cocaine apparently, im gutted im still using a vape but im much more at ease with it than smoking the real ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

When i was 25/26 i was 5 stone overweight, smoked 10-15 a day, and not particularly feeling good about myself. Stood in a bar one night having a couple of pints, the music was so loud i couldn’t hear anybody speak. I thought...what is the point? What am i doing here? I went home to bed, heart starting beating very weirdly and was struggling to breathe, as if maybe a cardiac arrest was in the pipeline. I said “that’s it” im going cold turkey on the cigs. Didn’t go out drinking for fear of ending up back on them. First 4 nights i had nightmares, the shakes, cold sweats & hallucinations. Couldn’t put up with it so i thought “come on, be realistic, you are nicotine addicted” and needed a substitute. ive been on a vape ever since, but haven’t touched a real ciggy. 3 years on i am 5 stone lighter and have a much healthier lifestyle. My social life suffered massively but i became much closer to my family and more in tune with my health to make up for it. The mere thought of a hangover terrifies me and smoking i wish id never started. Its not easy but well done to anybody trying to shake off the evils of society its one of the hardest things you can do. Nicotine is more addictive than crack cocaine apparently, im gutted im still using a vape but im much more at ease with it than smoking the real ones.

I used to smoke 30+ a day, quit the cigs 3 years ago using a e-cig. Still use that, but found it better for work, instead of taking 5 mins for a smoke break I'll just puff away whilst moving car, sometimes only 50m, the time saved alone is astounding, plus it's a bit better for you.

40 Marlboro a day for 25 years.  Couldn't quit, didn't want to quit.  Mrs nagged me into submission.  Went to the quack got on the 'New leaf program' (Champix pills) 

40 a day to ten in less than a week completely off them in 12 days. Gave me nightmares. Wake up screaming like a baby nightmares. But got me off fags. 

Boxing day last year marks 6 years no smoking. Don't miss it.  When I quit was £8.50 per pack. 

That's over £37k I haven't spent on fags!  
Funny you should mention those things, a lad I worked with tried them a few years back, sent him a bit loopy to be honest. He started on some lad in the staff room, ended up squaring up to each other. In the disciplinary investigation he took the little slip they give you in the box. His doctor had highlighted some areas on the sheet and it was chalked up to experience.

It's also funny that you and @Incheck should mention nightmares, had some rough dreams the last couple of nights. Not as bad as yours were but I wonder if thats a common thing!

Funny you should mention those things, a lad I worked with tried them a few years back, sent him a bit loopy to be honest. He started on some lad in the staff room, ended up squaring up to each other. In the disciplinary investigation he took the little slip they give you in the box. His doctor had highlighted some areas on the sheet and it was chalked up to experience.

It's also funny that you and [mention=5882]Incheck[/mention] should mention nightmares, had some rough dreams the last couple of nights. Not as bad as yours were but I wonder if thats a common thing!
I think it is fella. I have never, ever lost the craving for nicotine. I don’t think i ever will sadly

Just had a look and come across this;

https://healthunlocked.com/quitsupport/posts/1047863/vivid-dreams-when-stopping-smoking-heres-why...

Nightmares are the least of my problems though. Sort of threatened to knock someone out today ?‍♂️[emoji23][emoji23]
It’s a horrible feeling, it was affecting my work life, i quit on the friday and after the friday/saturday/sunday & monday nights of the comedown i was so tired and drained that i wasnt fit to work or drive. That’s when i bought the vape and got my nicotine craving sorted out. I no longer crave cigs but im still puffing my vape like a heavy smoker and have full strength liquid. It’s nothing less than having a devil on your shoulder

Back