Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Benz Softwashing - Mix & Quote Spreadsheet (Created by me)

windowgleamtrowbridge

So I've been doing quite a bit of research into Softwashing and know that Benz Softwash can seem like quite an expensive solution, so I decided to put together a calculator of my own to work out how much it would actually cost to treat the surfaces that they give information on.

The calculator can be used to work out how much chemical and water mix is required for each different surface. You can also use it to automatically calculate your quote. I found their own quote calculator quite confusing if I'm being honest.

If you notice any mistakes then please let me know so I can fix them!

This was for my own research but thought I'd give everyone the chance to use the tool that I made for this very reason. I've found that the cost of the chemicals are considerably cheaper than I first thought!

Make of it what you will... If it helps anyone, then great! Instructions are on the first sheet.

View attachment Softwash Quote Calculator (1).xlsx

So I've been doing quite a bit of research into Softwashing and know that Benz Softwash can seem like quite an expensive solution, so I decided to put together a calculator of my own to work out how much it would actually cost to treat the surfaces that they give information on.

The calculator can be used to work out how much chemical and water mix is required for each different surface. You can also use it to automatically calculate your quote. I found their own quote calculator quite confusing if I'm being honest.

If you notice any mistakes then please let me know so I can fix them!

This was for my own research but thought I'd give everyone the chance to use the tool that I made for this very reason. I've found that the cost of the chemicals are considerably cheaper than I first thought!

Make of it what you will... If it helps anyone, then great! Instructions are on the first sheet.
Softwash Quote Calculator (1).xlsx
Can't open file

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

We don’t generaly use Benz products , but the ratios look very similar to what we use , at the moment we tend to do single batch mixes then do another mix as needed , application for surface area will be dependant on a lot of things such as : surface vertical or horizontal, type of surface pourous/ non pourous, what’s the contaminant , green algy will need far less product than red/ black , strength of the mix, air and surface temperature, and so the list goes on , one you get used to it you tend to know what mix is going to work for the type and degree of algy/ moss growth you are faced with . Generaly we are very close to the ratios for the surfaces to be cleaned on this list just some surfaces will need several applications others will need only one 

As for costing some companies that I have spoken to say that the material costs for the job should be 5-10% of the total price , not saying that I agree with that but it might give you a guide , we do our own mixes I buy the hypo on it’s own and then the addertives separately, I have found this more cost effective , on some surfaces I have found hypo on it’s own is all that’s needed this will save a huge amount , don’t use addertives if they arnt needed is how we work , buying in these addertives is an expensive buisness and some once opened have to be used in a relitavely short time so unless you do a lot of softwashing it may well have lost its strength by the time you come to use it again 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, all I have based the mixes on is the information Benz supply on what the mix should be. From that also working out how many applications etc, hence the option to add more than one application of each chemical.

It was purely for my own visualisation on what prices i'm looking at for Benz as I thought it was quite expensive at first.

But I thought i'd share it in case other people were also looking into using it ?

This is really helpful as i was looking at Benz solutions as they seem to be very straightforward to mix/use. 

Do you use a calculation for pricing labour into square m or day rate or is this with experience. 

This is really helpful as i was looking at Benz solutions as they seem to be very straightforward to mix/use. 

Do you use a calculation for pricing labour into square m or day rate or is this with experience. 

I generaly look at a job and know roughy how long it will take , and how much hypo and addertives will be needed , this comes with experience but it won’t take long to pick up give it a couple of jobs you will soon know 

a rough rule of thumb that works for us is 

1x20 ltr hypo 

300mm to 500mm surficant 

300 mm to 500 mm bio 

will do one 3 bed semi, walls: gutters facias soffits  windows and all framework , as I say this is not exact but I know that’s roughly what I’ll use on a job so pricing up is easy always allow more than you think you will use and you are quids in 

Good stuff.I've just had a practice on the mother in laws roof using marshal scrapper with following results. Would this be good enough before treatment or looking for cleaner? 

15467900030091869200422.jpg

Good stuff.I've just had a practice on the mother in laws roof using marshal scrapper with following results. Would this be good enough before treatment or looking for cleaner? 

View attachment 15449

I have no idear what it looked like before but that’s looking very good now would come up well with a softwash 

Would you lads be roughly quoting £5 per sm then? I've quoted a couple around this rate but it's putting the customers off

We give a price for the job not per sm we don’t do a lot of roofs ,but the cheapest I would do for a small roof would be £600 , I have one to do in the next couple of weeks I will try and remember to take some before and after pictures the customer has opted for having it scraped and sprayed with bio , so I will be keeping an eye on how long it takes to be clear of growth , as normally we would hypo it 

We don’t generaly use Benz products , but the ratios look very similar to what we use , at the moment we tend to do single batch mixes then do another mix as needed , application for surface area will be dependant on a lot of things such as : surface vertical or horizontal, type of surface pourous/ non pourous, what’s the contaminant , green algy will need far less product than red/ black , strength of the mix, air and surface temperature, and so the list goes on , one you get used to it you tend to know what mix is going to work for the type and degree of algy/ moss growth you are faced with . Generaly we are very close to the ratios for the surfaces to be cleaned on this list just some surfaces will need several applications others will need only one 

As for costing some companies that I have spoken to say that the material costs for the job should be 5-10% of the total price , not saying that I agree with that but it might give you a guide , we do our own mixes I buy the hypo on it’s own and then the addertives separately, I have found this more cost effective , on some surfaces I have found hypo on it’s own is all that’s needed this will save a huge amount , don’t use addertives if they arnt needed is how we work , buying in these addertives is an expensive buisness and some once opened have to be used in a relitavely short time so unless you do a lot of softwashing it may well have lost its strength by the time you come to use it again 
Hi,

do you find that on certain roofs you need to use a stronger hypo mix? Or do you generally always use a 4% mix? 

Cheers

Hi,

do you find that on certain roofs you need to use a stronger hypo mix? Or do you generally always use a 4% mix? 

Cheers

We don't do a lot of roof cleans , but the ones we have done yes 4% should be fine , make sure you wet the roof down with copious amounts  of water first if it’s a pourous surface like concrete tiles , if it’s slate , or non pourous you don’t need to pre wet just apply the mix , if it’s a slate  roof a weaker mix will work ok if it’s just green algy , but if there is licken on it use a 4% , if doing it on a warm day just keep applying the mix to to stop it drying out start at the ridge line and let gravity work for you , try not to get to much runoff into the gutters if the gutters go into water buts disconnect them whilst you are working .

Back