Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Need something more reliable than backpack

P4dstar

Premium Member
I only use my backpack on the rare occasion when I can't get the van close enough to a customers property. 

I bought a Gardiner back pack last January. It lasted until August when the switch started to go a little funny, could only start it on full blast then the switch sort of collapsed in on itself and wouldn't turn on either. I did intend to fix it but never got round to it. Also its now full of stale water that has been sat in there since it broke.

I had a big commercial job on in September and intended to get a backpack to use for chemicals and another to access parts of the buildings that the hose couldn't reach (Two more on top of the original one). Gardiner's were out of stock at the time so I ordered 2 of the BigBoy back packs from WCW. Used them on the job and they seemed decent, stupid hose lock hose they give you leaks a little so I don't leave them full but other than that they were alright.

I dropped the real PITA ones just after I got them, mainly because I didn't stick enough on the price to cover the hassle of loading backpacks and water containers. Because of this they have been hardly used. Turns out the one I use for pure hasn't been accepting charge. The chemical one has been fine but the other hasn't and has only just died of battery.

I need something more reliable than what I have tried above. Something that I can take to a customers property in the event the van can't reach that isn't going to fall to pieces after a few weeks. All of the backpacks on the market just look like cheap Chinese tat that will give me the same issues

I only use my backpack on the rare occasion when I can't get the van close enough to a customers property. 

I bought a Gardiner back pack last January. It lasted until August when the switch started to go a little funny, could only start it on full blast then the switch sort of collapsed in on itself and wouldn't turn on either. I did intend to fix it but never got round to it. Also its now full of stale water that has been sat in there since it broke.

I had a big commercial job on in September and intended to get a backpack to use for chemicals and another to access parts of the buildings that the hose couldn't reach (Two more on top of the original one). Gardiner's were out of stock at the time so I ordered 2 of the BigBoy back packs from WCW. Used them on the job and they seemed decent, stupid hose lock hose they give you leaks a little so I don't leave them full but other than that they were alright.

I dropped the real PITA ones just after I got them, mainly because I didn't stick enough on the price to cover the hassle of loading backpacks and water containers. Because of this they have been hardly used. Turns out the one I use for pure hasn't been accepting charge. The chemical one has been fine but the other hasn't and has only just died of battery.

I need something more reliable than what I have tried above. Something that I can take to a customers property in the event the van can't reach that isn't going to fall to pieces after a few weeks. All of the backpacks on the market just look like cheap Chinese tat that will give me the same issues
I know other guys have had issues like you with the Gardiner one. Personally the one I’ve got (which my uncle had for who knows how long before me) has never had a issue. Maybe give them a call and see if they’ve managed to fix the switch problem. Mine is always in the van for those unreachable jobs but like you I use the van system 98% of the time. 

I know other guys have had issues like you with the Gardiner one. Personally the one I’ve got (which my uncle had for who knows how long before me) has never had a issue. Maybe give them a call and see if they’ve managed to fix the switch problem. Mine is always in the van for those unreachable jobs but like you I use the van system 98% of the time. 
I emailed them back in September. The response slipped into my junk and now i've let it slip out of warranty. I meant to deal with it in October when I found the response as it's hidden at the back of the garage... Don't laugh at this next part... My mate says ''Make sure you don't get legionaries disease from the stale water''... That sort of means I need to go away and Google how to protect yourself from stale water before I open it, this meant I put it back and forgot all about it and now the warranty has run out.

I will however fix it myself, it's only a switch after all, I think its all good outside of that. I also plan to get the other one sorted.so that I have 3 functioning backpacks. The problem is these are all cheap pieces of kit that make you look like an extra in Ghostbusters. I am looking for the BMW of mobile window cleaning, these backpacks are the Vauxhall Corsa.

if you very rarely use them what about not bothering taking on any work that requires a backpack then?problem solved.....

i just use my van mount for all my work....i do have a gardiners backpack,its 2 years old now and still works as good as the day i bought it,i only use it for chemical application on add jobs

Legionaries is only going to start with stagnant warm water.... I think!

Other than that the backpacks are easy to mend, pretty much all the same parts. I used to use them a lot and bought two cheap blue ones last year (just in case) ones still in the box and the other was only used a couple of times.

I emailed them back in September. The response slipped into my junk and now i've let it slip out of warranty. I meant to deal with it in October when I found the response as it's hidden at the back of the garage... Don't laugh at this next part... My mate says ''Make sure you don't get legionaries disease from the stale water''... That sort of means I need to go away and Google how to protect yourself from stale water before I open it, this meant I put it back and forgot all about it and now the warranty has run out.

I will however fix it myself, it's only a switch after all, I think its all good outside of that. I also plan to get the other one sorted.so that I have 3 functioning backpacks. The problem is these are all cheap pieces of kit that make you look like an extra in Ghostbusters. I am looking for the BMW of mobile window cleaning, these backpacks are the Vauxhall Corsa.
Hahaha! ?

I know a few that use these. 

https://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/facelift-trojan-delivery-trolley-system.html

They look the part, since your wanting the 'BMW' of backpacks, but also expect to pay BMW prices! If your not gonna use it often I don't think its worth it, to be honest. Also, don't know what they're like long term, not in frequent contact with the user. Infact, one of the guy's is on here.

Legionaries is only going to start with stagnant warm water.... I think!
Just googled it. You catch it by inhaling the water in some way. A mask and tip it down the drain should sort it. Should have looked at it when he said it and just carried on to be fair.

if you very rarely use them what about not bothering taking on any work that requires a backpack then?problem solved.....
I did consider that, don't want to miss out on perfectly good work to be honest. Round here I already have to turn down work because I can't safely get the van to properties.

Hahaha! ?

I know a few that use these. 

https://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/facelift-trojan-delivery-trolley-system.html

They look the part, since your wanting the 'BMW' of backpacks, but also expect to pay BMW prices! If your not gonna use it often I don't think its worth it, to be honest. Also, don't know what they're like long term, not in frequent contact with the user. Infact, one of the guy's is on here.
Tag him in, don't be shy. Thats the kind of thing i'm looking for. Need someone who has one to give us the low down. Is a little steep at £800 to be fair but you get what you pay for.

I'm thinking I can free up the right hand side of my van to fit something like this and just have some loading ramps, save loads of time. Only problem would be I wouldn't want to put chemicals in the tank, too much of a PITA to clean out afterwards.

Tag him in, don't be shy. Thats the kind of thing i'm looking for. Need someone who has one to give us the low down. Is a little steep at £800 to be fair but you get what you pay for.

I'm thinking I can free up the right hand side of my van to fit something like this and just have some loading ramps, save loads of time. Only problem would be I wouldn't want to put chemicals in the tank, too much of a PITA to clean out afterwards.
@Barry Williamson Hope he doesn't mind, lol! Not sure if he's on here much, to be honest. 

To be honest, I still think your better with a backpack.  Do what I did and attach it to a trolly. Gonna save yourself loads of cash!

Just get a Pure Freedom Nano Trolley. That should sort you out. Bit pricey but reliable. 
I looked at these. If I could find one second hand I would give it a shot but they are just so damn ugly. I know that shouldn't be a major reason to choose a piece of kit but it honestly looks like it was made in the 1970's by the Soviet union ?

I've actually got one of these.got it as I was clueless when starting out.im only using it for window cleaning atm but it's a decent wee machine.after I get my tank and all set up in the van my trolley will be used for softwashing

I've actually got one of these.got it as I was clueless when starting out.im only using it for window cleaning atm but it's a decent wee machine.after I get my tank and all set up in the van my trolley will be used for softwashing
I really like the look of them but without the ability to put chemicals through it becomes rather obsolete for me. The PureFreedom ones are good as you use your own containers and can just have a specific one for chems and then flush through when you're done. I did find a water genie one, looks similar to the PF one but better made.

I really like the look of them but without the ability to put chemicals through it becomes rather obsolete for me. The PureFreedom ones are good as you use your own containers and can just have a specific one for chems and then flush through when you're done. I did find a water genie one, looks similar to the PF one but better made.
I'll just be putting chems through it and flushing out after.parts should be easily replaced

Hi P4dstar

Looks like you have missed the warranty cut off on your Gardiner backpack by just 5 days!!

Generally these on/off switches are very robust  As a gesture of goodwill I can arrange for a replacement switch to be sent to you along with some quick connectors.

Hi P4dstar

Looks like you have missed the warranty cut off on your Gardiner backpack by just 5 days!!

Generally these on/off switches are very robust  As a gesture of goodwill I can arrange for a replacement switch to be sent to you along with some quick connectors.
That is really kind and more than I deserve. It is after all my own fault that I missed the warranty period, the team replied to me promptly when I reported it but I never got my ar5e in gear and responded. I will gladly accept your offer, much appreciated.

It isn't the robustness of the device that is the problem, its where I need to use it. Using them as actual backpacks is really uncomfortable, constantly picking up and putting down the device has just taken its toll on it I think. I'm a little heavy handed with my kit. I don't really want to change the way I work so I would rather look at alternative ways of working. Having the ability to just whip the backpack out and clean the back of a property instead of dragging 50m of hose is really helpful. It will also be nice to get back to having a backpack that doesn't leak all over the van when I leave water in there.

That is really kind and more than I deserve. It is after all my own fault that I missed the warranty period, the team replied to me promptly when I reported it but I never got my ar5e in gear and responded. I will gladly accept your offer, much appreciated.

It isn't the robustness of the device that is the problem, its where I need to use it. Using them as actual backpacks is really uncomfortable, constantly picking up and putting down the device has just taken its toll on it I think. I'm a little heavy handed with my kit. I don't really want to change the way I work so I would rather look at alternative ways of working. Having the ability to just whip the backpack out and clean the back of a property instead of dragging 50m of hose is really helpful. It will also be nice to get back to having a backpack that doesn't leak all over the van when I leave water in there.

We have several Gardiner back packs we use them for applying chemicals and find they are generaly good , we have mounted ours on a sack trucks , I certainly wouldn’t want to ware it on my back either very uncomfortable , they are very cheap to buy and usually last a couple of years or so using hypo , Evan longer with virosol etc one job and it’s paid for then all other jobs it’s just pure profit , we don’t use them for window cleaning . 

We have several Gardiner back packs we use them for applying chemicals and find they are generaly good , we have mounted ours on a sack trucks , I certainly wouldn’t want to ware it on my back either very uncomfortable , they are very cheap to buy and usually last a couple of years or so using hypo , Evan longer with virosol etc one job and it’s paid for then all other jobs it’s just pure profit , we don’t use them for window cleaning . 
I originally wanted 2 more Gardiner back packs when I purchased the BigBoy ones. It was for that cladding clean job I messaged you for help with back in September. Before I knew about the cheap and nasty connections on the BigBoy I felt the Gardiners ones looked more professional if nothing else. I reckon I should start my own YouTube channel giving honest reviews. Trad man can sod off, he basically said it was great in bis review. Getting the impression he is being bought by these brands.

With regards to trolley systems i've come to the conclusion that I would be as well to build my own. The only systems that would do what I want are the PF or Water Genie ones. I've seen the videos Mark does on Youtube, you can build a trolley for circa £130 by all accounts.

Gardiner back packs are great. Although yes they do start to show their age. I have two, one just for pure for 2 terrace houses I clean, and the other carries my ubik. My pure one (the newer one) has a very small leak somewhere, but all the joints & clamps are on really tight underneath. Strange........   (cue X-files music) 

Gardiner back packs are great. Although yes they do start to show their age. I have two, one just for pure for 2 terrace houses I clean, and the other carries my ubik. My pure one (the newer one) has a very small leak somewhere, but all the joints & clamps are on really tight underneath. Strange........   (cue X-files music) 
Thing is for £110 if you get 12 months a time out of them they've made their money back, looking at the cost of a trolley system they are a bargain. I reckon i'm gonna give this self build trolley a go ?

@Barry Williamson Hope he doesn't mind, lol! Not sure if he's on here much, to be honest. 

To be honest, I still think your better with a backpack.  Do what I did and attach it to a trolly. Gonna save yourself loads of cash!
Alright chaps, I use an X-Line trolley rather than a backpack, not what you’re looking for P4dstar (but a great piece of kit that has never let me down).  Could have built something a lot cheaper I’m sure, but I wanted something quick, that looked professional, that I could use with my car etc, etc. 

Latest Posts

Back