Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Stolen Transit Van

scottish cleaning service

My neighbour's van got nicked last night. It was a Transit and in the paper there seems to be one nicked every month. Police say they have a grabber device that copies the fob signal and come back later to nick it. I'm looking at getting a steering wheel locking device.

Woe. Horrible news. Put a link up to a reasonable priced & good steering lock when you find one. Car thieves are getting more & more brave and prepared!

Stoplock professional Steering wheel Lock, £49.99 at Argos. I use one, I give it full marks, without hesitation. Very sorry to hear about the poor chap's van being stolen. 

It's things like this that make me want to leave a loaded shotgun pointing the door with trigger attached to handle. When they open door BANG, lesson learnt.

https://www.festive-lights.com/disklok-car-steering-wheel-lock?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoPHmkbfm3wIV6rztCh1fNgA7EAQYASABEgK8xPD_BwE#217=19

Looking at getting this one at £125 but I was told that they nick the ones that are plain white. They don't like the ones with writing on them because they are easily recognizable and would take time to remove it. Its the hassle of changing locks because some keys were left inside the van.

I use these on my vans, they seem robust, added security, if nothing else a deterrent and would also add to the time taken to actually steal the van. They are a pain taking them on and off and then storing them somewhere in the back, but overall worth it and a bit of peace of mind. 

Would recommend, after all these vans are our livelihood. 

Trackers. We use a company called AMS. Have one in each of our vehicles including my personal car.  Real time tracking through web site and app on phone. £15 per month. 

If you got in my car you wouldn't have a clue where it is or even that there's one in it.  

Wouldn't stop it getting pinched but trust me your'e gonna look surprised when a raging me turns up at your gaff to get my motor back!  

Trackers. We use a company called AMS. Have one in each of our vehicles including my personal car.  Real time tracking through web site and app on phone. £15 per month. 

If you got in my car you wouldn't have a clue where it is or even that there's one in it.  

Wouldn't stop it getting pinched but trust me your'e gonna look surprised when a raging me turns up at your gaff to get my motor back!  

I wonder what would happen if it was a lease van? Does the lease company insure it for the customer?

Sooner or later all new cars will be fitted with trackers and/or passcodes to access once the ignition once inside.

But I was talking to the police back in August l, as I had about £90 cash & a couple of small cheques stolen out of my van. They were in a black pencil case out of sight, but I still learned the hard way that it’s too risky to leave in the van.

To this day, I don’t know how it was taken. I came one morning and my drivers van door was on the first latch if that makes sense, like if you very gently shut a door it leaves a slight gap doesn’t it? 

Well it was like that, I was like how odd!? I ran over paniced, it was unlocked and inside my cab my receipts were all over the floor and the ash tray was open which I never open, and yep my pencil case had gone. 

There was no damage to my van. Hadn’t seen anyone before or after, and it’s parked on my front driveway right under my bedroom window. 

Since then I’m slightly OCD about making sure my van is locked, bought a new alarm a few days after which cost £380 and bought new led security lights that come on as soon as someone walks on to my driveway. 

But the police said that nearly all thieves aren’t there to steal the vehicle, but to take what’s inside. They said that least year, a street in Poole, there were thieves that left a special signal blocker in a carrier bag in a bush in a road that they later found, because 9 cars had things stolen from! Mad. 

The only thing I can put it down to was I didn’t lock my van and just a chancer got extremely lucky with my va that night.?? 

We need to make signs “No pure water left in this van over night” 

That’s not a bad price. I used to pay near enough that for one vehicle. Trackstar I think it was. Good way of keeping track of your employees as well. Do you let them use your vans for personal use?

Sooner or later all new cars will be fitted with trackers and/or passcodes to access once the ignition once inside.

But I was talking to the police back in August l, as I had about £90 cash & a couple of small cheques stolen out of my van. They were in a black pencil case out of sight, but I still learned the hard way that it’s too risky to leave in the van.

To this day, I don’t know how it was taken. I came one morning and my drivers van door was on the first latch if that makes sense, like if you very gently shut a door it leaves a slight gap doesn’t it? 

Well it was like that, I was like how odd!? I ran over paniced, it was unlocked and inside my cab my receipts were all over the floor and the ash tray was open which I never open, and yep my pencil case had gone. 

There was no damage to my van. Hadn’t seen anyone before or after, and it’s parked on my front driveway right under my bedroom window. 

Since then I’m slightly OCD about making sure my van is locked, bought a new alarm a few days after which cost £380 and bought new led security lights that come on as soon as someone walks on to my driveway. 

But the police said that nearly all thieves aren’t there to steal the vehicle, but to take what’s inside. They said that least year, a street in Poole, there were thieves that left a special signal blocker in a carrier bag in a bush in a road that they later found, because 9 cars had things stolen from! Mad. 

The only thing I can put it down to was I didn’t lock my van and just a chancer got extremely lucky with my va that night.?? 

We need to make signs “No pure water left in this van over night” 
I got 3 deadlocks fitted, it's a deterrent in itself.. if they wanna Nick some pure water that's fine  but they are gonna cause damage to find out that's all you've got if your not sign written.... the sooner the goverment put a ban or a limit on the sale of second hand work tools on eBay /gumtree the better.. I mean how often does someone have 5 makita drills to sell lol

Thats horrific! I know how it feels, had my new trafic stolen last January, thankfully it was signed. It was my own naive fault being too trusting, i left keys in ignition as i was on a job, van was parked right by the house but i was round the back with the backpack. Took a week to get over the shock. Managed to get back to work 2-3 weeks later with a quick DIY one man set up. Thankfully a guy rang me about 2 weeks after it happened moaning that i hadnt moved my van... i was like eh? And guess what? It was my Trafic! Police were a waste of time, got the address off the geezer, stolen in mottingham-found in croydon, got my van back, no interior/exterior damage but stank of booze inside! And yes, they took all my gear, so i just cleaned it up and gave it back to finance company as i already set my second vehicle up. Expensive lesson learnt. It could of been a lot worse, because my car key was attached to my van keys, it looked like they were looking for my address to nick that too. You just cant be too careful...question though, even if u had a tracker inside, would you be quick enough to stop them nicking your gear? Even if they stole all your poles, reels etc that would take a couple of noobs minutes, and they dump the van. Im thinking of getting a tracker, but like anything, if someone wants something badly, they will get it. Im thinking of getting a grippatank system installed all bolted to the floor, only thing that could be nicked quickly are my poles/backpack/ladder

Back