Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using backpack for hypo or tfr etc?

triangle

Is the Gardiners backpack best for softwashing walls with hypo or tfr mixes.  Can u use backpack for both these chemicals if rinsed well?  

Want to use it for cleaning windows too

Is the Gardiners backpack best for softwashing walls with hypo or tfr mixes.  Can u use backpack for both these chemicals if rinsed well?  

Want to use it for cleaning windows too
Yes you can but it will probably void the warranty, I find they last around 2 -3 years with hypo mixes just flush through well after use , with Virosol I never empty it  always have a it in one doesn’t seam to affect it 

Warranty is valid if used with tfr

‘The backpack is warrantied for use with water only - due to health and safety reasons no warranty returns will be accepted if the backpack has been used with any chemicals (except products such as TFR)’

For softwashing the cost of around £115 for the backpack is paid for on the first job , so I think it’s a no brainier they are very good for softwashing been using them for years and are very good at resisting pump damage from hypo I took the pump to bits on one that was 3 years old and it was still fine the diaphragms were still flexible and not gone hard , the pump was noisy but still worked but sometimes it would stick and not pump , so I just changed the backpack as I don’t want to have to be taking it apart whilst in the middle of a job , but I think it could have been sorted , but with something that old if I changed the pump then the switch or battery or speed controller is likely to go due to age , and it’s paid for its self many times over so I just buy a new one .

with regard to chemical use I seam to recall Alex assaying that some chemicals were ok as it’s a sprayer that is designed for spraying things apart from water , I guess things like weed killer etc , apart from window cleaners no one is likely to just spray water with something like that , I don’t think things like ubik, virosol , if diluted according to the manufacturers specifications would hurt it 

Might use tfr or virosol one month then rinse it then use hypo or even biocide possibly so wondered if there was a risk of toxic gases if these different chemicals were going through the tubes. A chemical reaction of the chemicals mixing.  Going to use it for awkward houses when window cleaning as well 

Last edited by a moderator:
Might use tfr or virosol one month then rinse it then use hypo or even biocide possibly so wondered if there was a risk of toxic gases if these different chemicals were going through the tubes. A chemical reaction of the chemicals mixing.  Going to use it for awkward houses when window cleaning as well 
Providing you flush it through after each different chemical  used including all hoses etc it will be fine , all those products you have mentioned are water soluble 

Personally I would leave it in , you shouldn’t be putting washing up liquid in hypo , it’s dangerous can cause cancer by mixing it with hypo 

Put surfunctant with hypo. I. used tfr on wall then hypo afterwards.  Could these chemicals react together?   Worried of a reaction? 

Got mask on and goggles. I have been keeping flow rate low

There is a possibility it could react , if you put hypo on the floor it’s fine but put harpick toilet cleaner in it what will happen ?? Only chemicals that are designed to be used with hypo should be put together , I used to put Virosol in hypo along with washing up liquid totally unaware that mixing hypo and fairy can produce cancer causing pathergerns , it’s alsi illegal to mix anything with hypo that’s not specifically designed to go in it so best to buy approved chemicals only 

Back