Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to move a grippatank system from old to new van - diy

WCF

Help Support WCF:

NoName

What's the best way to diy move a grippatank system from an old to a new van?

Is is worth the hassle? Does anyone have steps/guide/abc's of how to at least remove it from the old van?

(did spend a while searching forum but surprised I couldn't find a thread)

Cheers

Remove the 4 bolts holding it in...

One lad on the other forum fitted his Grippa tank himself no problem. It was a new system and he was supplied with spreader plates. They also supplied a 2 pack adhesive to 'glue' the spreader plates onto the underneath of the van's floor. Now I wouldn't know why they supplied that (it was 5 or so years ago) but if they still fit those spreader plates with epoxy glue then the old spreader plates might be difficult to remove.

Again as @Moor suggested, best speak to Grippatank @NoName.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should still be able to remove the system but the spreader plate may remain.

Should be able to source some plates for new installation 

One lad on the other forum fitted his Grippa tank himself no problem. It was a new system and he was supplied with spreader plates. They also supplied a 2 pack adhesive to 'glue' the spreader plates onto the underneath of the van's floor. Now I wouldn't know why they supplied that (it was 5 or so years ago) but if they still fit those spreader plates with epoxy glue then the old spreader plates might be difficult to remove.

Again as @Moor suggested, best speak to Grippatank @NoName.
Could the epoxy be to form a water tight seal?

The hole in floor doesn’t corrode as quick as exposed

just get your local garage to take it out.....i wouldnt even attempt to unbolt it myself.....its easy for them as they have the right equipment(hydraulic lift,etc).it shouldnt cost you too much.....

What's the best way to diy move a grippatank system from an old to a new van?

Is is worth the hassle? Does anyone have steps/guide/abc's of how to at least remove it from the old van?

(did spend a while searching forum but surprised I couldn't find a thread)

Cheers
Hello mate, 

this isn’t an easy job to do, depending on the age of the system and condition you might Ben better off selling the van as a whole and paying for a new system. But I could get it done for you, aslong as all sizes are the same etc. But it’s not cheap. A full day at least possibly more. Where are you based? I’m in Kent but I have a friend in Essex who also builds systems. 

Should still be able to remove the system but the spreader plate may remain.

Should be able to source some plates for new installation 

Could the epoxy be to form a water tight seal?

The hole in floor doesn’t corrode as quick as exposed

Good thought, but then Sikaflex 512 adhesive sealant or a gutter sealant would be cheaper and would also keep any water out. A 2 pack epoxy seems to indicate business as far as I can see. I would imagine it would also add to the spreader plate's strength as the spreader plate is 'attached' across the face of the plate.

I see Grippa sell a high strength acrylic adhesive which is also water resistant.

https://www.grippatank.co.uk/hi-strength-acrylic-adhesive

Its described on another site as a structural adhesive.

https://eurobond-adhesives.co.uk/products/structural-adhesives/penloc-11/

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead easy, fitted a system myself last year.

My advice would be to buy a new fitting pack from Grippa. Basically bolts,nuts,washers and spreader plates. 2018 plates are bigger than previous years so bear that in mind.

It's really just a case of removing the four bolts into the T lock arrangement. Bolt and nut job!

Thanks guys really helpful comments/posts -  I'm going to attempt to remove it and port across 'loose' to the new van, then get grippa to fit it professionally - don't fancy finding out i botched the reinstall at 70 on the motorway when 'granddad' drifts across lanes into me!

Cheers

Latest Posts

Back