Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Roof Clean - how much!

DJT

Hi guys some advice please. After clearing out all the gutters from moss and the owner got chatting and long story short he has asked me to quote to clear the roof of all the moss. I have said that long term it could do with being treated as well to stop re growth. I have attached some photos as an idea of the size and layout. I have measured the roof and come up with a figure of 380m2. My plan of attack is to hire a tower for the week and remove the moss with marshal pro scrapper. in terms of treatments was looking at benz bio clenze.

I am keen to get this job as i haven't done a roof before so something to grind my teeth on!

Any opinons on price would be helpful. Cheers, Dan. 

IMG_20190115_092250.jpg

IMG_20190115_093259.jpg

IMG_20190115_094310.jpg

IMG_20190115_094313.jpg

We don’t generaly do roof cleans that much but looking at the pictures it doesn’t look too thick with moss , I would be tempted to give it a good brush with a stiff brush on a pole then softwash it giving several applications re scrubb any stubborn areas of moss  ,re apply if needed , and scrubb with pole , see what it looks like leave for a few weeks vac out gutters should be ok , @Green Pro Clean Ltd Used to do a lot of roofs he might be able to help , we have never pressurewasher roofs due to the damage that can be done . Those tiles are rosemaries they are quite delicate .

price wise several thousand that’s a lot of roof ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice thing about Rosemary tiles is they come up looking new.   

Scrape to buggery, hypo at 3%, and again and again.  rinse.  Go home.  3 - 4 days -  at least £4 - £5K for a roof that size or give it to me and i'll give you a finders fee ?

Nice thing about Rosemary tiles is they come up looking new.   

Scrape to buggery, hypo at 3%, and again and again.  rinse.  Go home.  3 - 4 days -  at least £4 - £5K for a roof that size or give it to me and i'll give you a finders fee ?
4-5k?. How long would a job that size take?Think I need to get into roof cleaning. 

Bet they could get a new roof for that. 

4-5k?. How long would a job that size take?Think I need to get into roof cleaning. 

Bet they could get a new roof for that. 

Thats not a lot of money for that size of roof have you ever done one ? If you have you will know how long it will take it’s also hard work working off a scaffold tower for several days doing that , it’s not as easy as it looks 

Thats not a lot of money for that size of roof have you ever done one ? If you have you will know how long it will take it’s also hard work working off a scaffold tower for several days doing that , it’s not as easy as it looks 
Wasn’t criticising was just gobsmacked at the price. I have done a bit of moss removal before so I know it’s a graft but never done a full clean. I was watching a couple of roofers near me a while back and they retiled a roof not quite that big in less than two days. If it was me splashing the cash I’d rather just get a new roof. 

Wasn’t criticising was just gobsmacked at the price. I have done a bit of moss removal before so I know it’s a graft but never done a full clean. I was watching a couple of roofers near me a while back and they retiled a roof not quite that big in less than two days. If it was me splashing the cash I’d rather just get a new roof. 

I didnt think you were being critical , but it’s a fair old job , Ime not a builder but to replace a roof  like that would be considerably more that 5 k , you don’t replace your car when it gets dirty you just clean it same with the roof , in this country very few people  will pay to have a roof cleaned , in America it’s a very popular thing to clean just like we have windows cleaned they clean there roofs . The discolouration on a Tile roof is bacteria growth this will eventually brake down evan concrete tiles making them porous and then the roof will leak , if you have shingles for roofing ( wooden tiles ) they will degrade much quicker evan cedar ones this is why the americans clean  there roofs so often , I think this country will go the same way at some point , it’s just not traditionally done at the moment , I wouldn’t want to do roof cleaning all the time as it’s hard work , but does and should pay well 

I think you are talking 20 grand to get that roof replaced. A 3 grand clean will make the roof look new and add to the price or make the friends jealous and maybe the neighbours also. Our house is our best asset but people fail to maintain it.

To do that roof properly will take a week.   

To re-roof that house your not going to find any professionals that will give you much change from £10K plus from what I know.  

You're going to make the basic mistake EVERYONE MAKES (never admits to) ask for the advice, get it, be gobsmacked, go in at a much lower price as it will ;look good on your portfolio', end up losing money and resenting the job as it wasn't worth the price you went in at after all, learn from your error and charge what more experienced lads recommend on the next job.  

Back