Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tube heater to stop freezing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jango

At the moment I used an electric oil filled radiator to keep my RO system from freezing etc.

my brother has a tube heater for a cage, when he kept a iguana, would this be a cheaper alternative. Any thoughts?

At the moment I used an electric oil filled radiator to keep my RO system from freezing etc.

my brother has a tube heater for a cage, when he kept a iguana, would this be a cheaper alternative. Any thoughts?
I use a 60w tube heater with a thermostat under a make do tent type covering of thick fleece blanket. Tuck in all round the ro's etc but make sure the heater is not touching anything. It will be massively cheaper to run than a rad. The kit doesn't need to be warm, only kept slightly above zero. Take a look at the wattage on any type of heater and you will have the answer to your question about cost difference. 

Good luck. ?

I use a couple in the van, this one keeps the pump from freezing

90F64125-9493-40F3-9010-6FB435EB2470.jpeg

I have another one next to the hose reel.

Still haven’t needed to use them yet though...

Last edited:
I use exactly the same only the 80 watt version, on a cold night it will be on all night but at 80 Watts its only like a lightbulb and like the above poster says you just have to keep everything just above freezing to stay ice free. Looks to be the most cost effective solution to me.

Oil filled rad for me can place it just about anywhere you want lifts in and out real easy.

Talking of lizards, I hear boy George’s reptile has been biting people lately.

He needs a calmer chameleon ?

Freezing this morning, wfp a shop window, just sheeted up in ice, so had to put the lpg heater on. Then head off to get deicing salt for the path, as it completely froze up.  not probably working tomorrow, so drained pump n brought in reel n backpack. Van in garage. 

yeh looks like we got a long spell of this weather. Inside jobs needed. Or im gonna spend too much trying to win a football acca. gotta come in soon.

Personally cannot see something at 80 watts supplying enough heat to stop freezing it would need to be practically touching the pump etc surely ? Years ago I used a fan heater that kept the whole of the van frost free

It would have to get really cold as in -5 or below for your R/O to freeze in the garage in a large space like a garage I would have thought it would almost be pointless as the space won't heat up like it would in a van. 

I have my RO and static tank a in a small insulated wooden cabin in my garden. For years I've used a 60w tube heater mounted horizontally beneath the RO to good effect. I replace it every couple of years as I have found that they don't seem to last long though compared to an oil filled rad.

I have my RO and static tank a in a small insulated wooden cabin in my garden. For years I've used a 60w tube heater mounted horizontally beneath the RO to good effect. I replace it every couple of years as I have found that they don't seem to last long though compared to an oil filled rad.
Yep! That's exactly what I do. Works perfectly. ?

It would have to get really cold as in -5 or below for your R/O to freeze in the garage in a large space like a garage I would have thought it would almost be pointless as the space won't heat up like it would in a van. 
Ok I did wonder, maybe a bit over the top with it then, I am worrying, my first winter with it. 

The garage is insulated too. 

Im thinking of having a partition put around it, then it would be a small space to heat. 

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate your thoughts. 

Ok I did wonder, maybe a bit over the top with it then, I am worrying, my first winter with it. 

The garage is insulated too. 

Im thinking of having a partition put around it, then it would be a small space to heat. 

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate your thoughts. 
Mines in an insulated shed with foil bubble wrap which has the same insulation value as 300mm of fibreglass insulation it was -4 last night and everything is totally fine this morning only just checked as I have had my dog out for over an hour as it was -2 at 8.20am 

Mines in an insulated shed with foil bubble wrap which has the same insulation value as 300mm of fibreglass insulation it was -4 last night and everything is totally fine this morning only just checked as I have had my dog out for over an hour as it was -2 at 8.20am 
Threw a ball for my dog yesterday.

A bit extravagant I know, but it was his birthday ?

Threw a ball for my dog yesterday.

A bit extravagant I know, but it was his birthday ?
We are lucky in that we live in a rural area with fields just over the road so we can walk miles my wife usually walks him through the week for 1 hr minimum then I will do two 1-1hr 30 min walks over the weekend we managed 3 hours in total today due to cold weather and only having a few jobs on. 

We are lucky in that we live in a rural area with fields just over the road so we can walk miles my wife usually walks him through the week for 1 hr minimum then I will do two 1-1hr 30 min walks over the weekend we managed 3 hours in total today due to cold weather and only having a few jobs on. 
Depends on your definition of lucky. I find the idea of living somewhere rural horrendous.

I like urban life. I have a mainline train station to London, 2 pubs, plenty of shops and restaurants all within ten minutes walk from me and I love it.

Horses for courses and all that ?.

Now, about that pub up the road ??.

Have a great weekend fellow windies. Remember more to life than work ??

Back