Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

More gone than gained my choice.

Den

The last couple or so weeks, I have done another Cull getting rid of the skippers, bad payers and the mishogs approx 10 clients.

So far this year I have gone to quote probably 8 jobs only taken on 2 my choice again got another one to quote this morning will see how these fairs out for the future.

feels good knowing that all my works now will nicely priced and the customers are decent not miserable gits almost makes me wanna go to work ?

Last edited by a moderator:
So true, good customers are worth working for.

Whenever I’m fed up I look at my rota and go to a customer I like for a chat and drink

Binned about 30 over Christmas, turned down 3 new ones due to them being terraced with no parking and a long trapse round the back.

It's great when you can pick and choose, I picked up about 10 new ones last week, 2 of them I took one look at and carried on driving...poor access or looks a shithole I don't entertain now. 

"I need to be in to let you round the back"....just hang up lol

I did this last year and it felt good too, as there were some jobs that were a pain which I took on and shouldn't have in hindsight some clients weren't happy and made it known to me but nowt I could do it's my business at the end of the day and they were doing my head in. 

I had 270 something customers going into December. I managed to pick up what I lost through the month. I've made loads of changes to dates people are due, I think I had about 10 customers I didn't have to move. I was cleaning in Cheltenham just before Christmas, 4 of 10 had cancelled the night before, some were terraced houses where I had to get the backpack and go through and this is all 30 miles from home. Can't start my day there due to traffic so I have to fit other people around them...

I sat in the van and having a cigarette and though naff this! I went along and cancelled all 10 of them. Thanked them all for their custom either face to face or by text. Then it got me to thinking about other places like that. In total I must have cancelled 45 customers.

The restructure means some people are going extra weeks between cleans and others are going less weeks at a reduced price so I have that to contend with at the same time. The wife thinks i'm making a bad move but so far so good touch wood. Feels good to be more organised!

I had one customer this week that told me if I call in the afternoons they might not bother having them done as morning is better for them lol Gone on the Dump list.  I have another who's been a good customer up until recently then she started saying she doesn't want just the fronts done but the whole house.  Access is through  a garage and she want to be in. Another on the dump list.  Some people though think they're your only customer and think you can bend the whole round to fit in with them.  It can easily get you down but I just remember that most customers are great now and have very little trouble - it just takes time to weed them out.

Do any of you find it a bit awkward dumping cusomters when you know your likely to bump into them or they're next door to decent jobs?  Had some awkward conversations in my time!  The easiest ones to dump are ones that are not linked to other jobs in any way but often it doesn't work out like that and awkwardness is inevitable. 

All my customers get told they are no longer on the round and why they are not. 

Only not told two customers as I thought they were naturally rude with no respect and could tell that they thought window cleaners were subhuman. 

Do any of you find it a bit awkward dumping cusomters when you know your likely to bump into them or they're next door to decent jobs?  Had some awkward conversations in my time!  The easiest ones to dump are ones that are not linked to other jobs in any way but often it doesn't work out like that and awkwardness is inevitable. 
100% mate, unless it's around cancellations the evening before. If a customer continually cancels the night before I have no problem having the conversation that they're done. I smile and say hello still, although to be fair i've only been going a couple of years so I only have a few of these to deal with.

I had one customer this week that told me if I call in the afternoons they might not bother having them done as morning is better for them lol Gone on the Dump list.  I have another who's been a good customer up until recently then she started saying she doesn't want just the fronts done but the whole house.  Access is through  a garage and she want to be in. Another on the dump list.  Some people though think they're your only customer and think you can bend the whole round to fit in with them.  It can easily get you down but I just remember that most customers are great now and have very little trouble - it just takes time to weed them out.

Never a problem to me bumping into dumped customers. Reasons dumped include : trying to return after trying a cheaper cleaner, continously failing to leave payment or access, demanding a certain time without a valid reason, rudeness or disrespect. I can look every one of them in the eye, they are the ones with the discomfort. Every customer is notified the night before. 

All my customers get told they are no longer on the round and why they are not. 

Only not told two customers as I thought they were naturally rude with no respect and could tell that they thought window cleaners were subhuman. 

Never a problem to me bumping into dumped customers. Reasons dumped include : trying to return after trying a cheaper cleaner, continously failing to leave payment or access, demanding a certain time without a valid reason, rudeness or disrespect. I can look every one of them in the eye, they are the ones with the discomfort. Every customer is notified the night before. 
Respect to you both for being straightforward.  If I'm honest I find those conversations very difficult but the awkwardness is created by them. I've been in the game 10 years, it shouldn't bother me by now but it does. I suppose we've all got strengths and weaknesses!

Respect to you both for being straightforward.  If I'm honest I find those conversations very difficult but the awkwardness is created by them. I've been in the game 10 years, it shouldn't bother me by now but it does. I suppose we've all got strengths and weaknesses!
Im not brutal lol just explain it's not personal and that you like to be honest and upfront with all your clients some don't bother answering and don't give a toss a couple have taken it personal trying to give you the speech that's its pointless cleaning in the rain etc, I then remind about the original visit  about agreeing that you only take on regular clients and then thank them for their custom again there are just embarrassed that you have sacked them off, I'm to old to be dictated too.

Im not brutal lol just explain it's not personal and that you like to be honest and upfront with all your clients some don't bother answering and don't give a toss a couple have taken it personal trying to give you the speech that's its pointless cleaning in the rain etc, I then remind about the original visit  about agreeing that you only take on regular clients and then thank them for their custom again there are just embarrassed that you have sacked them off, I'm to old to be dictated too.
When they complain about me doing them in the rain. I tell them that we have to work in the British climate. The same as everyone else who works outdoors: binmen, builders, postal workers etc, they don't come to a stop. It's our livelyhood. I'm very friendly and polite but I'm firm when I need to be. I have weeded out a few of the ones that wouldn't accept it. At this stage most of my customers are a delight to work for. 

Don't tell anyone but most days I actually look forward to going to work. Mind, when I'm working I look forward to getting finished. ?

When they complain about me doing them in the rain. I tell them that we have to work in the British climate. The same as everyone else who works outdoors: binmen, builders, postal workers etc, they don't come to a stop. It's our livelyhood. I'm very friendly and polite but I'm firm when I need to be. I have weeded out a few of the ones that wouldn't accept it. At this stage most of my customers are a delight to work for. 

Don't tell anyone but most days I actually look forward to going to work. Mind, when I'm working I look forward to getting finished. ?
nicely worded that's my sentiments fully agree.

I like that, respectful and honest. I love it when lads on here go on like ''I don't take any ? from anyone''. I'm not referring to anyone on this post so wind your neck in anyone thinking i'm on about you. Over the last couple of years I've seen a few on here though. I would love to watch them in action, I reckon 50% are like they say and the other 50% would be soft as you like.

I am glad I tell every customer why i'm not coming back. If the customer takes it personally I try to remain calm and give them the old shoulder shrug treatment.

The thing to remember is it isn't your job to find a resolution for them. As soon as you tell them you aren't coming back your work is done. When you worked for them it was your job to find solutions to problems. If you say I can't come anymore, explain why and then leave it at that your work is done. If you start trying to think of solutions you will start tripping over your own words because there are none. Just offer some reassurance and walk away from the conversation as quickly as possible.

I almost never tell a customer why I've dumped them.

For example if someone has messed me about one too many times with a locked gate, late payment or last minute cancellation I simply delete them from cleaner planner. 

If I tell them why then they will likely retort back, which is going to wind me up and end up in a back and forth exchange.

I can't be arsed with hassle or stress, I clean you pay that's it. Any Messing and you are gone simple. 

I give everyone 1-2 chances, I'm not saying dump because someone wants to skip a clean once in 3 years, use common sense but anyone who you can see a habit developing let them go.

If you let them get away with paying late or not bothering to unlock a gate they will just do it every time.

Back