Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water show 1 ppm but still leaves marks on windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

george1982

Hi guys. I am sure you can help with this one. I tested the water and the tester shows 1ppm. I was told up to 20 is fine. But after I have cleaned windows when water dry out I can see white drops and drives me mad. Why is that?

hi mate, all i could suggest is possible dripping down from dirty sills above? or maybe not rinsing off enough? especially these if property aint been cleaned for a while. 

try rinsing off more etc, experiment. 

Off to pub now but others will help. Beer time?

Hi guys. I am sure you can help with this one. I tested the water and the tester shows 1ppm. I was told up to 20 is fine. But after I have cleaned windows when water dry out I can see white drops and drives me mad. Why is that?
How long have you been cleaning for?

How long have you been cleaning for and what is your setup? Also what's your start TDS and do you use RO and/or DI?

Here are some troubleshooting steps:

First do a window trad to see if the spots are burned into the glass.

If the spots are gone clean with wfp again. First a good scrub and rinse. Then check for spots after 10 minutes.

If there are some runners or spots, clean it with wfp again, keeping the brush a few centimetres below the top of the window. (This is to avoid agitating the top frame if it's very dirty).

If that doesn't work out check if the brush is dirty, and try to use a different hose (they can contaminate the water).

Try a different house to see if it's the windows that are iffy. Sometimes panes can be damaged in weird ways, not leaving a perfect result with wfp.

How long have you been cleaning for and what is your setup? Also what's your start TDS and do you use RO and/or DI?

Here are some troubleshooting steps:

First do a window trad to see if the spots are burned into the glass.

If the spots are gone clean with wfp again. First a good scrub and rinse. Then check for spots after 10 minutes.

If there are some runners or spots, clean it with wfp again, keeping the brush a few centimetres below the top of the window. (This is to avoid agitating the top frame if it's very dirty).

If that doesn't work out check if the brush is dirty, and try to use a different hose (they can contaminate the water).

Try a different house to see if it's the windows that are iffy. Sometimes panes can be damaged in weird ways, not leaving a perfect result with wfp.
 I have been cleaning the house for few times but last time really bad water marks. The tester shows 001. I use machine and cylinder with expensive rinse to clean the water. If I wipe with cloth spots go. I just dont get it. Is it possible that rinse needs to be changed and put new one in the cylinder. I run the machine on number 3 for water pressure

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not the ppm of the water, 1 is fine. I remember cleaning with 12 once but wouldn’t choose to do that again.

Scrub slightly more & one more rinse on the next window/job you do. If not, as mentioned it’s either perishing black seals, or dirty window vents?

It actually shows 1. Is that good?
Wouldt worry about 001 , of course 000 is ideal , but have worked with 003 and 008 for a while back , no problem , even in sunlight . Personally wouldt go higher , but im guessing you could. The cause of spotting is not the water , unless its a faulty TDS meter ? 

It’s not the ppm of the water, 1 is fine. I remember cleaning with 12 once but wouldn’t choose to do that again.

Scrub slightly more & one more rinse on the next window/job you do. If not, as mentioned it’s either perishing black seals, or dirty window vents?
The spots are white. Very odd. When wipe with cloth all good but why do I need to do it if I have machine for 2000 pounds?? Also forgot to mention that recently cleaned windows with unger limescale remover which is a white paste and after cleaned with the brush. Is it possible that might be the issue? The brush looks clean 

Last edited by a moderator:
The spots are white. Very odd. When wipe with cloth all good but why do I need to do it if I have machine for 2000 pounds?? Also forgot to mention that recently cleaned windows with unger limescale remover which is a white paste and after cleaned with the brush. Is it possible that might be the issue? The brush looks clean 
It will be something contaminating the water so could be more than likely the Unger product is still on the window. 

Also get another tds meter I have two meters and both measure the same after ro and  Di but slightly different With tap water approx 300 for one 297 for the other.

your tds meter could be faulty. 

After you use anything on the brush then you need to clean it in a large bucket of warm clean water before doing anything else. I would say your brush is still contaminated with the limescale remover.

Might be the windows some windows allways leave drip marks regardless of how much you scrub and rinse and most the time you think there fine until the sun shines directly on them. If you find a cure let me know lol 

After you use anything on the brush then you need to clean it in a large bucket of warm clean water before doing anything else. I would say your brush is still contaminated with the limescale remover.
I would say even if the brush is contaminated, after a rinse, the pane should still be clean. If its all your windows then you have contaminated water, if its just the one then you have a problem window. Weird though! Never come across this myself.

Back