Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ro question for storage

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi my TDS is 43 out of the tap  I run double di  in my van but I am now going to put a storage tank in my garage and make my water that way if I ran a r o system I take it it would bring it down to 0 ? And if I do go down the road of having a ro am I better off buying it all separately or a complete unit that people do sell. And  what type  of money am I looking at spending thanks

My system is in my van, and my water is 300+, so I can't help you with the system but there are loads on here that should be able to point you in the right direction. As long as you're water pressure is good and you're not on a meter then it should be slightly cheaper. 

Wasn't too sure with it being so low at 43 if it would bring it down to 0 I'm not on a water metre and pressure is quite good

At 98% efficient your pure water will be just under 1ppm (0.86). Will the tds meter show 1 or zero? I don't know. I expect it would be 1ppm. Either way you should have no problem cleaning with 1ppm so you wouldn't need resin when the r/o is new.

My recommendation is to buy a fully assembled unit rather than components.

Size of r/o depends on your needs and usage. The smallest I would recommend for a single operator is a 450gpd. These aren't expensive but produce water very slowly. A 4040 is on the other side of the spectrum and produces water much faster, but will cost more.

I would recommend fitting an auto cutoff switch and solenoid valve. Once your IBC (storage tank) is full then it will switch the r/o off. This is good as you don't have to keep monitoring the level in your storage tank.

He is using 320 litres a day then. If he does 5 days. Might not need such a big system as a 40/40. 

Check ou Daqua, have a chat with Doug, very helpful. 

40/40 yes if he wants to go bigger in the future. 

Thanks for the replay  I need to produce 1600l a week faster the better for me.

A 450gpd filled an IBC tank in around 36 hours in winter and around 28 hours in summer. 2 of us just managed with the 450 so is more than enough for a single person.

The 4040 we now have produces 2lpm of pure. I understand the 4021 does around 1lpm of pure.

As I always say, buy from a genuine supplier. I would recommend Daqua. Their prices will be a little more expensive than the cheapies with Chinese membranes but will be better value for money in the long run.

To be fair @spruce when I bought mine Daqua were cheaper than some of the competitors selling cheaper models. I got the 4040 with a HF5 and Pure freedom were around £75 more with a HF4. The only difference I think was they had pre mounted it but drilling 8 holes in the wall really wasn't too much hardship.

I would think you're best to stick with your DI vessels too. You will hardly ever have to change the resin if you keep the double set up but if you have a random spike in TDS and your RO decides it will only produce 6PPM then you're safe.

First things first you need to know what water pressure you're running at. Get yourself down to your local tool station and pick up one of these;

https://www.toolstation.com/mains-water-pressure-test-gauge/p75711

Connects straight up to the garden tap and will tell you what pressure you're getting. Make sure no one else in the house is using water at the same time and take a few readings at different times of the day if you want to be even more accurate.

One of the local fellas round here spoke to me about RO units before Christmas. He says he outgrew his 450 a couple of years back but instead of upgrading to a 4040 he just got a second IBC tank. Connect them both together with a hose and it's like having one tank by all accounts. I didn't quite grasp it at first but he explained how the unit was running 24 hours a day and the extra water it made during his days off saw him through the week.

To be fair @spruce when I bought mine Daqua were cheaper than some of the competitors selling cheaper models. I got the 4040 with a HF5 and Pure freedom were around £75 more with a HF4. The only difference I think was they had pre mounted it but drilling 8 holes in the wall really wasn't too much hardship.

I would think you're best to stick with your DI vessels too. You will hardly ever have to change the resin if you keep the double set up but if you have a random spike in TDS and your RO decides it will only produce 6PPM then you're safe.

First things first you need to know what water pressure you're running at. Get yourself down to your local tool station and pick up one of these;

https://www.toolstation.com/mains-water-pressure-test-gauge/p75711

Connects straight up to the garden tap and will tell you what pressure you're getting. Make sure no one else in the house is using water at the same time and take a few readings at different times of the day if you want to be even more accurate.

One of the local fellas round here spoke to me about RO units before Christmas. He says he outgrew his 450 a couple of years back but instead of upgrading to a 4040 he just got a second IBC tank. Connect them both together with a hose and it's like having one tank by all accounts. I didn't quite grasp it at first but he explained how the unit was running 24 hours a day and the extra water it made during his days off saw him through the week.

He could also add a second 450gpd or top up any shortfall with his di vessel. When there was just me on my own a 450gpd was more than sufficient. I was occassional short toward the end of the week with 2 of us. With 2 cleaners having an r/o that just doesn't quite keep up stiffles growth. I didn't realise how much it affected us until I upgraded to the 4040.

With a tap water tds of 43ppm, I would have thought a standard R/O would produce pure at 000ppm my tap tds is around 60ppm last I checked and mine produces 1-2ppm my 450gpd R/O is from https://daqua.co.uk/ro_systems.htm scroll to the bottom of the page in the link, mine currently produces 300 litres of pure in around 8 hours which is adequate for me as I never empty my van tank and I also have two 25 litre containers, If you are going to have a1000 litre ibc or something of a similar size  in your garage then a 450gpd would be suitable as once its full you are never going to drain it and will be able to produce enough for your needs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
With a tap water tds of 43ppm, I would have thought a standard R/O would produce pure at 000ppm my tap tds is around 60ppm last I checked and mine produces 1-2ppm my 450gpd R/O is from https://daqua.co.uk/ro_systems.htm scroll to the bottom of the page in the link, mine currently produces 300 litres of pure in around 8 hours which is adequate for me as I never empty my van tank and I also have two 25 litre containers, If you are going to have a1000 litre ibc or something of a similar size  in your garage then a 450gpd would be suitable as once its full you are never going to drain it and will be able to produce enough for your needs. 

I agree. I found the scariest was just after I started to fill the IBC tank for the first time with my 450gpd. I didn't have enough water for the first days work but it all sorted itself out over the weekend and I had plenty as a single operator from then on.

Is there nothing in between a 4040 and a 450GPD? If I ran my RO constantly I would be making 250 litres an hour. I've got a window cleaner friend I thought about sharing the cost of filters and resin with but by the time I got round to ringing him he had upgraded to a 4040 in his van.

It's good that its future proof but I worry that the low and none usage might effect the membrane negatively. That said if I had to replace the membrane tomorrow I would still be quids in against the cost of resin!

Is there nothing in between a 4040 and a 450GPD? If I ran my RO constantly I would be making 250 litres an hour. I've got a window cleaner friend I thought about sharing the cost of filters and resin with but by the time I got round to ringing him he had upgraded to a 4040 in his van.

It's good that its future proof but I worry that the low and none usage might effect the membrane negatively. That said if I had to replace the membrane tomorrow I would still be quids in against the cost of resin!
I guess the 4021 is between the 4540gpd and 4040. With booster pump I now get 250 litres in about 2 hours, that may improve a bit in warmer weather. Its perfect for me and with the booster the waste is down to, say 55 waste tom 45 pure, so saving on the water bill.

I guess the 4021 is between the 4540gpd and 4040. With booster pump I now get 250 litres in about 2 hours, that may improve a bit in warmer weather. Its perfect for me and with the booster the waste is down to, say 55 waste tom 45 pure, so saving on the water bill.
Oh yeah, forgot all about that one. Seems like a good solid option to be fair! Can't understand why they don't fit them on van mounts.

Oh yeah, forgot all about that one. Seems like a good solid option to be fair! Can't understand why they don't fit them on van mounts.
Daqua have one in a frame I think, which I wish I'd spent the extra for. Have mine bolted to some wood and can move it indoors etc.

Back