Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Not much sign of warmer weather

ks789

Longer range forecast for east anglia looks bit icy to come. Worse up north I know. Noticed water in tank and barrels frozen in van. Reckon the small rise in temp during the day should melt it? Cant reach a heater out there at this address. Wrapped pump in quilt, hopefully should be ok. This is why Im gonna get the pump/battery/controller put in a kind of builders tool box set up, to carry in and out easy. Good for charging battery too. Anyone know of an ideal carry box/toolbox to use for this?

Longer range forecast for east anglia looks bit icy to come. Worse up north I know. Noticed water in tank and barrels frozen in van. Reckon the small rise in temp during the day should melt it? Cant reach a heater out there at this address. Wrapped pump in quilt, hopefully should be ok. This is why Im gonna get the pump/battery/controller put in a kind of builders tool box set up, to carry in and out easy. Good for charging battery too. Anyone know of an ideal carry box/toolbox to use for this?
The issue isn't so much water in the tank freezing, its water in the hose reel you need to worry about. If there's no way you can get a heater to the van then take the hose reel out and bring it inside overnight.

We take the rough with the smooth, although that beast of the east was extreme last year. Bournemouth is generally one of the most mild places in the UK but we still had -1 or -2 during the day!! And a lot colder at night. 

Thankfully We’re on the home run for end of January now, and February is the shortest month! And generally March is the start of spring (hopefully) and clocks go forward 

Have you guys had snow yet? Not seen any in Dorset yet. 

The issue isn't so much water in the tank freezing, its water in the hose reel you need to worry about. If there's no way you can get a heater to the van then take the hose reel out and bring it inside overnight.
yep, usually do, I run the pump till alls out too. so should only be small traces of water still in the gear.

This throws me as some manufacturers claim that running a pump dry causes damage, some people swear by doing exactly what you've done. I recon @spruce would know.
Yes not too sure. I dont do it for long though, just turn off at tank and run it a short while till water stops spluttering out and seems to have done the job thus far.

Yes not too sure. I dont do it for long though, just turn off at tank and run it a short while till water stops spluttering out and seems to have done the job thus far.
I've done it before plenty of times and never caused any damage, that doesn't mean it won't though!

I've done it before plenty of times and never caused any damage, that doesn't mean it won't though!
yeh mate, be interesting to hear of any bad outcomes, its why Im def changing over to having the pump/battery and controller in a tool box, to just disconnect and carry in. Better for charging, no worry for ice and nothing for thiefs.

Shurflo advise that their pumps can be run dry. So I see no issue with using the pump to suck air into it to remove the majority of the water from inside. The remaining droplets will freeze solid but they wouldn't do any damage. If we do this we aren't exactly running the pump dry and letting it run for hours that way.

I certainly wouldn't recommend over doing it. Our windie down the road parks his van on the street and has drained his pumps down every night in winter ever since going wfp. They are still going strong 10 years later.

Shurflo advise that their pumps can be run dry. So I see no issue with using the pump to suck air into it to remove the majority of the water from inside. The remaining droplets will freeze solid but they wouldn't do any damage. If we do this we aren't exactly running the pump dry and letting it run for hours that way.

I certainly wouldn't recommend over doing it. Our windie down the road parks his van on the street and has drained his pumps down every night in winter ever since going wfp. They are still going strong 10 years later.

Does he use a controller?

I use an Aquatech from Gardiner

Gardiner -

“This is a WATER PUMP controller: it will not work with air in the system. Always prime your system before starting work. If air in the system causes false dead-end detection, increase Cal value (less sensitive).”

Does he use a controller?

I use an Aquatech from Gardiner

Gardiner -

“This is a WATER PUMP controller: it will not work with air in the system. Always prime your system before starting work. If air in the system causes false dead-end detection, increase Cal value (less sensitive).”

Yes, he uses Varistreams. The idea is to switch the main tap off at your tanks outlet. Then unscrew the water filter as you start your pump. The pump will suck air in and push the water out of the line from your pump to your van port. Obviously the van ports need to be open for the water to get pushed out.

We have never had a problem when screwing the filter bowl back and switching the pump on. The pump with suck the water from the tank when you open the tanks main outlet tap. The pump will fill with water and then the water will expel any air in the pipe through the open van ports. So basically what you are doing is letting the pump prime itself.

Shurflo pumps have a 12' head, so will work 12' above your tanks water level. My son's pump is situated above the top of his tank and the pump has no problem self priming. We aren't talking about plugging the hose reel in and trying to work whilst the pump is priming itself.

for those that dont have the luxury of being able to run an extension lead out to their van id just make sure i used a pumpbox and a reel that could be easily removed from the van and bring them inside on freezing cold nights,drained hose as much as possible and throw an old duvet over the top of my tank,thats all you can do really......

if its really cold and icy the next day..... start later and finish earlier or just sack the day off until its warmer....

try and save an emergency fund up (even if it takes a few years) of at least a few grand to dip into if you need to during prolonged spells of bad weather.....

luckily the last time i had to have more than 4 days off at once due to awful weather was the winter of 2010....i ended up taking around 3 weeks off due to heavy snow!i was ok financially though....?

normally its no more than the odd day here and there during the winter here in manchester....?

It's to be good tomorrow, Scottish. If you don't have any work to do I can give you a list. ?

After my service I had a small oil leak so I had to change the sump plug, fine now. Only have to fix my sliding door and I'm ready for another year Alex. Probably do it Thursday when temperature is up to 8 degrees and I can wear shorts and a t shirt. :1f602:

After my service I had a small oil leak so I had to change the sump plug, fine now. Only have to fix my sliding door and I'm ready for another year Alex. Probably do it Thursday when temperature is up to 8 degrees and I can wear shorts and a t shirt. :1f602:
Thursday to be so high? Thought it was Friday to be good. either way I'm ragging I need to hold off work, lol!

Thursday to be so high? Thought it was Friday to be good. either way I'm ragging I need to hold off work, lol!

Friday's temp is good but it could be raining, Thursday is at least dry. Job on tomorrow which I hope can turn into a regular customer!

Back