Jump to content
ks789

Not much sign of warmer weather



Recommended Posts

ks789
10 minutes ago, GSS Window Cleaning said:

I put £100 a week away to cover tax bill. But payment on account is something a lot of people don't know about untill they're accountant tells them about it. I'd never heard of it before. The first years the worse as you have to pay 18 months upfront and all due on the same day 31st jan so if you haven't budgeted for it you can find yourself in a bit of a pickle. It's even worse if your earnings go up each year which mine have as I'm needing good books to be able to get a mortgage this year fingers crossed. As you have to pay the difference and then 6 months up front also. I think it's rubbish them saying it's a way of helping you pay your tax bill tho. For me it's a way of the government ensuring they have at least 6 months tax guaranteed upfront off you. Seems like they allways hit the self employed where it hurts. I put 38k through my books last year and my tax wasn't no where near 5k tho. 

Yes what a nightmare. Another mate works for him and tried to get him to pay some work cash in hand, to help him out with his own bill. He rightly said he just cant do it. It would make his situation even worse. Its all a learning curve and hopefully he'll get through it ok in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Part Timer
29 minutes ago, GSS Window Cleaning said:

I put 38k through my books last year and my tax wasn't no where near 5k tho. 

Yes if that was your turnover, if it was your nett profit you would've. Whilst I'm not here to defend HMRC we aren't actually paying them anything before we have earned it. If you don't think you're going to earn as much the next year you can appeal the 6 monthly payment. 

Share this post


Link to post
ks789
1 minute ago, Part Timer said:

Yes if that was your turnover, if it was your nett profit you would've. Whilst I'm not here to defend HMRC we aren't actually paying them anything before we have earned it. If you don't think you're going to earn as much the next year you can appeal the 6 monthly payment. 

or if you can manage to pay it, and dont earn so well then you get a rebate. 

Share this post


Link to post
DJT

Talking about warmer weather, of on my holls in a week for a fortnight. In terms of van prep, I was going to remove leisure battery, di vessel and hose real and and drain the water from the tank. Will this help in case of any really bad weather?  Anything else I should do?

Share this post


Link to post
Part Timer

Still -2 at 9 this morning Showa282's, woolly hat and hot water turned on. First conservatory froze but everything fine after that. Must have been around 6 degrees difference between front and back of houses.

Share this post


Link to post
trevor peacock

down in sunny Littlehampton I had to put a jacket on today, temp dipped below 8 degrees. gets any lower I'm going to buy a hat!!!

Share this post


Link to post
ks789
19 hours ago, DJT said:

Talking about warmer weather, of on my holls in a week for a fortnight. In terms of van prep, I was going to remove leisure battery, di vessel and hose real and and drain the water from the tank. Will this help in case of any really bad weather?  Anything else I should do?

I'd say thats about it mate, if leaving pump make sure no water in it.

42 minutes ago, trevor peacock said:

down in sunny Littlehampton I had to put a jacket on today, temp dipped below 8 degrees. gets any lower I'm going to buy a hat!!!

yeh ive noticed down south coast and south western tip of uk are often at double figures when all else is freezing. The atlantic gulf stream or something similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Suhrly
8 hours ago, Part Timer said:

First conservatory froze but everything fine after that

 

Same mate. On one of my conservatories as I was cleaning the top panel, the water had already froze on the bottom panel from the run down 😐 Must of been just as cold inside as it was out.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.