paul alan

Razor Red Leaving Lines

paul alan

I have a load of razor red rubber, I have noticed lately that it leaves very fine lines throughout the length of the rubber when in use, these usually dry to nothing but I have some inside work where they don't.

Should I be using a soft rubber this time of year?

I use wagtails, have been for years.I also use a fairly strong solution of pure water and ecover in a spray bottle. Is this problem from the rubber or me? 

What seems to be the best rubber you guys are using?

Thanks

Edited by paul alan

trad windie

Have you tried making the window a bit more soapy?

Bart90
25 minutes ago, paul alan said:

I have a load of razor red rubber, I have noticed lately that it leaves very fine lines throughout the length of the rubber when in use, these usually dry to nothing but I have some inside work where they don't.

Should I be using a soft rubber this time of year?

I use wagtails, have been for years. Is this problem from the rubber or me? 

What seems to be the best rubber you guys are using?

Thanks

I use razr red along with ettore soft.  I find the red  needs a bit more pressure on the glass.  I know the lines you mean, and mostly they evaporate, I guess it's just knowing when they don't and mixing it up with a soft rubber for where the razr isn't so good. I normally have 3 squeegees on my belt, all liquidators, 2 with soft rubber and usually one with razr.  Hope that helps.

paul alan
3 minutes ago, trad windie said:

Have you tried making the window a bit more soapy?

It is fairly soapy, I even wonder if it's too soapy.

I use the wagtail high flyer and the pad doesn't hold much water so maybe there isn't enough solution?

3 minutes ago, Bart90 said:

I use razr red along with ettore soft.  I find the red  needs a bit more pressure on the glass.  I know the lines you mean, and mostly they evaporate, I guess it's just knowing when they don't and mixing it up with a soft rubber for where the razr isn't so good. I normally have 3 squeegees on my belt, all liquidators, 2 with soft rubber and usually one with razr.  Hope that helps.

It's just one house where they have an open fire inside, and the rooms where they smoke. The rest are fine. The smokey windows show all the lines and look dreadful. I have explained the problem to the customer, if I could get rid of the lines it wouldn't look so bad. I may just buy some ettore soft for that job. Cheers

trad windie

Could be bit too soapy you're right, I find the razr wears out quite fast maybe it's the extra pressure needed as mentioned, especially in the liquidators as the corners are pressed against the glass. What liquid you using?

paul alan
5 minutes ago, trad windie said:

Could be bit too soapy you're right, I find the razr wears out quite fast maybe it's the extra pressure needed as mentioned, especially in the liquidators as the corners are pressed against the glass. What liquid you using?

Ecover and pure. Have been for years now. Maybe its time to try something better, what you using?

paul alan

It basically comes out like foam on the glass.

trad windie

Usually good old fairy platinum, have messed about with adding fabric softener with spay bottle for amazing slip. 

monkeyman12

Razor red should last you ages. I find it pretty indestructible. 

I only use it for wooden and leaded windows, where my soft rubber would get destroyed pretty quickly. 

But I do have quite a lot of wood framed work. 

I've not found much difference between liquids. Tried quite a few, plus hand wash liquids too. 

And I find the "professional" liquids to be no better than washing up liquid.... Except obviously regarding the price. 

Where it may win, is in the height of summer, and less evaporation, but I've not tested this theory out. 

trad windie
1 hour ago, monkeyman12 said:

Razor red should last you ages. I find it pretty indestructible. 

I only use it for wooden and leaded windows, where my soft rubber would get destroyed pretty quickly. 

But I do have quite a lot of wood framed work. 

I've not found much difference between liquids. Tried quite a few, plus hand wash liquids too. 

And I find the "professional" liquids to be no better than washing up liquid.... Except obviously regarding the price. 

Where it may win, is in the height of summer, and less evaporation, but I've not tested this theory out. 

The corners defo wear out fast in a liquidator, I tend to flip mine every other day, but I do use it for everything. 

monkeyman12
1 hour ago, trad windie said:

The corners defo wear out fast in a liquidator, I tend to flip mine every other day, but I do use it for everything. 

My soft rubber lasts me at least a week, on one side, and I use liquidators too. 

I use s plus channel on wooden frames, as I don't want my end clips wearing out quickly. 

Bart90
1 hour ago, monkeyman12 said:

My soft rubber lasts me at least a week, on one side, and I use liquidators too. 

I use s plus channel on wooden frames, as I don't want my end clips wearing out quickly. 

In what way to the end clips wear out?  I think I'm still using my originals.... do they need replacing? 

trad windie
1 hour ago, Bart90 said:

In what way to the end clips wear out?  I think I'm still using my originals.... do they need replacing? 

Think they do after a long time though, I was talking about the corners of the rubber.

paulben

On my 14" excelerator the red rubber leaves lines anywhere along length but usually on first house then improves , but the smaller 12" excelerator is fine .As said earlier the thicker the soap mix the better

Watty

Hi I’m going through exactly the same issues I have went back to pulex soft like u I can’t get to the problem 

paulben

Yesterday I tried 4ml of Added Sparkle to my 1/2 gallon of water in bucket .( suppose Vision will do the same ) .Hardly a line all day and the slip is amazing .

trad windie
56 minutes ago, paulben said:

Yesterday I tried 4ml of Added Sparkle to my 1/2 gallon of water in bucket .( suppose Vision will do the same ) .Hardly a line all day and the slip is amazing .

Did you use any other soap in the water or just the sparkle?

scottish cleaning service

The same happened to me on my care home job. The red rubber is brand new but may be a touch thicker than black rubber. I have changed back to unger soft which I always use. No lines now so I will be sticking to unger soft from now on.

GazGleam

Razor red is so inconsistent that it isn't worth taking a chance in using it in my opinion. Tried it a few times, different batches of rubber and the results are always the same, random lines everywhere. Personally think moerman soft is the best performing rubber from the get go. Ettore soft is OK but takes quite a while to break in which means for a while it doesn't perform and can stick and sometimes leave lines. 

paulben

Sorry yes usual soap mix  plus 4 ml of Added Sparkle 

Used moerman soft rubber and never had any problems with it so unger and moerman soft is all I will use in future. 

Viggers

Absolutley Fuming, ordered a load of razor red as im used to it but its been atleast 12 months since my last order was placed. Put the new batch in my channel today, couldn't believe it lines everywhere, switched it round and the same on the other side. Got a good mind to email window cleaning warehouse, they can have it back as its not fit for purpose.

Col
11 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

The same happened to me on my care home job. The red rubber is brand new but may be a touch thicker than black rubber. I have changed back to unger soft which I always use. No lines now so I will be sticking to unger soft from now on.

Same here.

I was noticing a few lines but also it seems to leave a film on the glass which to be fair usually disappears.

Went back to Pulex soft today but noticing the edges wearing out quicker than the Razr Red using the Liquidator.

Time will tell but is a shame you can't rely on the Red as i have been using it for a couple of years but the constant checking the glass is getting me down now.

CHWS

Your getting lines because it’s a liquidator. Nothing to do with the rubber 😁

I think its because they are red in colour because the black rubber doesn't leave red lines.