Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Losing water pressure

Carts69

I’ve noticed while cleaning lately that my water stops pumping to the brush head, I have to tug the hose to turn off with the univalve & let the pressure build up & it’s fine again, any ideas?

Does this resolve the issue, posted yesterday 
Ok, before work today I re calibrated the the system, pole fully extended & I still have the problem, lose pressure from the brush head & have to wait for pressure to build back up, so annoying, any other suggestions? 

Ok, before work today I re calibrated the the system, pole fully extended & I still have the problem, lose pressure from the brush head & have to wait for pressure to build back up, so annoying, any other suggestions? 
Frozen water in the pipes? Happened to me this morning, weather forecast said +3 overnight but I woke up to -2 ?‍♂️

Air in the system? If I ever get air in mine I have to disconnect hose that comes from the pump to the reel and hold it up in the air with the pump on to get it out. Until I do this my pressure is awful

Air in the system? If I ever get air in mine I have to disconnect hose that comes from the pump to the reel and hold it up in the air with the pump on to get it out. Until I do this my pressure is awful
Yea but wouldn’t the air expell itself eventually through the course of the day? Pressures starts of great but soon spurts coughs & splutters before virtually stopping

Yea but wouldn’t the air expell itself eventually through the course of the day? Pressures starts of great but soon spurts coughs & splutters before virtually stopping
Mine doesnt no I struggled for days when i first started a few years back put the flow and calibration up to max and run it and run it and the air doesnt come out.

As soon as i take the hose off and hold it up its sorted tho. 

Does your pump sound noisier than normal? Thats another sign of air somewhere

Are your hose connections still airtight on the tank side of your pump. As the hoses get stiffer in this weather, sometimes a connection that was airtight can start to leak. I experienced this on Monday. Even if your pump is continually drawing in a small amount of air it will dramatically affect it's performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine doesnt no I struggled for days when i first started a few years back put the flow and calibration up to max and run it and run it and the air doesnt come out.

Yep, I’ve noticed it is louder now you mention it, probably is air trapped, will have to try your method tomorrow and see if it cures the problem 

Are your hose connections still airtight on the tank side of your pump. As the hoses get stiffer in this weather, sometimes a connection that was airtight can start to leak. I experienced this on Monday. Even if your pump is continually drawing in a small amount of air it will dramatically affect it's performance.
I will check this tomorrow, thanks Marko ?

@spruceposted something yesterday I believe about the hose not expanding due to the cold weather and therefore not allowing the pressure to build up, or words to that effect. Can't find the post though. 

The pressure is still there during the cold but the hose doesn't expand due to the cold water. We can't compress water whether its hot or cold. But plastic will soften and become more malleable when its heated; the reason why its easier to push a plastic hose over a barb when its been dipped in boiling water.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I have a length of garden hose from my van port to my hose reel. The water in my van was quite warm during the dry spell we experienced this past summer. This hose was so soft that when I raised it up by one end to drain the water out, the hose just hung straight. Yesterday it was as stiff as a coil of wire. I would guess the temperature difference between the water in my tank now and in summer is 20 degrees at most.

I got a bit frustrated with this start delay yesterday as it seemed to catch me every time I switched my univalve on. In the end, when I was doing windows off the drive, I just didn't switch the water off.

The pressure is still there during the cold but the hose doesn't expand due to the cold water. We can't compress water whether its hot or cold. But plastic will soften and become more malleable when its heated; the reason why its easier to push a plastic hose over a barb when its been dipped in boiling water.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I have a length of garden hose from my van port to my hose reel. The water in my van was quite warm during the dry spell we experienced this past summer. This hose was so soft that when I raised it up by one end to drain the water out, the hose just hung straight. Yesterday it was as stiff as a coil of wire. I would guess the temperature difference between the water in my tank now and in summer is 20 degrees at most.

I got a bit frustrated with this start delay yesterday as it seemed to catch me every time I switched my univalve on. In the end, when I was doing windows off the drive, I just didn't switch the water off.
Very interesting read, can see this is likely to be my problem.

ive noticed first thing i need to recalibrate my controller to a higher setting on very cold mornings or my pump wont run continually.... i then run it until my heaters been on for 20 mins or so and my hose is nice and warm......i then  set it lower again or the pump will run too long after dead ending and cause too much pressure in the system.....

one good thing about using hot water apart from the supple hose in winter is the flow is still really good at the brush end,i noticed i used to have to set the flow really high to get a half decent flow at the brush with cold water on very cold days(plus the annoying freezing jets occasionally!)......

ive noticed first thing i need to recalibrate my controller to a higher setting on very cold mornings or my pump wont run continually.... i then run it until my heaters been on for 20 mins or so and my hose is nice and warm......i then  set it lower again or the pump will run too long after dead ending and cause too much pressure in the system.....

one good thing about using hot water apart from the supple hose in winter is the flow is still really good at the brush end,i noticed i used to have to set the flow really high to get a half decent flow at the brush with cold water on very cold days(plus the annoying freezing jets occasionally!)......

My Varistream is calibrated higher atm so I can use the highest flow rate without the pump pulsing. It hasn't made a hap'ney's worth of difference to the restart up delay on my Varistream.

yeh its a real pain keep having to try and stop airlocks etc. Today disconnected mine from tank and attached the hose above the pump to keep water there and stop airlock. Now, this worked, BUT, it means I cant easily drain the system in case of freezing, as then airlock back again. Tonight I can leave oil filled rad on low in van, as ive luckily parked outside mine today, but cant always. A proper juggling lark this lol. I never tell anyone window cleanings easy ( too many here already haha)

Back