Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water billing question

Iain jones

How do you separat your domestic water bill and your business water bill. 

I'm on a water meter but was thinking of getting a separate meter 

I am now thinking of a Ro system but there is waste water any advice greatly appreciated 

You will definitely need an extra meter to measure your waste output I think it is and thus they can't charge you for the waste water, Hopefully, someone who has this set up will jump in advise accordingly 

You will definitely need an extra meter to measure your waste output I think it is and thus they can't charge you for the waste water, Hopefully, someone who has this set up will jump in advise accordingly 

You are best contacting your local authority @Iain jones and ask what their policy is. What you could also do is ask another local cleaner what they do.

Different water authorities have different rules. Our water board doesn't allow any sewage rebate as your waste water goes into the single drainage system (rain water from the roof and sewerage.) Inland areas with water treatment facilities might give you a rebate if you do not return that water to the sewerage drain. We haven't found anyone in our area who has been able to use a soak away successfully due to the amount of clay we have.

Directing water into the road drainage system doesn't count either - not that you would want to do that anyway if you could as it will create issues with do good neighbours, especially in times of drought.

I've just been through all this with my water supplier and I tell you what there's some god awful advice out there when it comes to what you can and can't reclaim.

I was lucky enough to be put through to operations and had a lengthy chat with him. He was impressed with my knowledge as normally they don't take calls from the public.

From my supplier you're looking at claiming a 100% waste IF it goes to a soak away in the ground. You can install one with proof of photos but it has be done properly. Basically minimum measurements vs total Liters going to it. 

I can't have a soak away installed yet so i'm going for a rebate of 45% which is my pure "off site" collection. Basically when I take 1000L from my supplier 450L goes into a holding tank and 550L goes down the drain.

The sweet spot for my RO is a 45% pure to 55 % waste ratio. Why should I pay for waste charges on water that I'm taking "off site" and the being used to clean windows with.

There is the argument that the water might end up going down someone else's drains haha! We got down to the nitty gritty of it and we agreed it was like filling a swimming pool.

My supplier requested a WRAS approved water meter and it could be installed by myself. 

When i get my soak away installed i will be claiming a 100% waste allowance. All I will have to do is move the water meter from the pure production pipe to the tap water inlet pipe. As I will be able to claim waste AND pure.

Window cleaners that have a Water meter installed on the waste pipe that goes to a garden or soak away are actually missing out on the % of pure water that goes to a holding tank.

If you need any help OP just ask away :)  

I've just been through all this with my water supplier and I tell you what there's some god awful advice out there when it comes to what you can and can't reclaim.

I was lucky enough to be put through to operations and had a lengthy chat with him. He was impressed with my knowledge as normally they don't take calls from the public.

From my supplier you're looking at claiming a 100% waste IF it goes to a soak away in the ground. You can install one with proof of photos but it has be done properly. Basically minimum measurements vs total Liters going to it. 

I can't have a soak away installed yet so i'm going for a rebate of 45% which is my pure "off site" collection. Basically when I take 1000L from my supplier 450L goes into a holding tank and 550L goes down the drain.

The sweet spot for my RO is a 45% pure to 55 % waste ratio. Why should I pay for waste charges on water that I'm taking "off site" and the being used to clean windows with.

There is the argument that the water might end up going down someone else's drains haha! We got down to the nitty gritty of it and we agreed it was like filling a swimming pool.

My supplier requested a WRAS approved water meter and it could be installed by myself. 

When i get my soak away installed i will be claiming a 100% waste allowance. All I will have to do is move the water meter from the pure production pipe to the tap water inlet pipe. As I will be able to claim waste AND pure.

Window cleaners that have a Water meter installed on the waste pipe that goes to a garden or soak away are actually missing out on the % of pure water that goes to a holding tank.

If you need any help OP just ask away ? 
Ah, you anglian water? if so I could do the same. wheres a good place to source the wras meter? seems worthwhile.

Where I am south west water I have the main water meter in the road and a second meter on my garden hose tap supply this reading I only pay for the water and not the sewage charge on this tap my waist goes to a soak away the water company installed the second meter and checked that the waist was going into a soak away and not a drain before they would cancel the sewage charge this works really well as I get two bills and the one for the van is 100% buisness use it also saves a lot of money , but I still have a water bill for around a grand each quarter ,dred to think what it would be with sewage charge on it as well 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, you anglian water? if so I could do the same. wheres a good place to source the wras meter? seems worthwhile.

Yeah I’m Anglian water. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F290870207043

Deffianlty worth while. I can ring monthly if I want and give my SUB meter readings. 

Remember waste is charged at a higher rate as well. 

Where I am south west water I have the main water meter in the road and a second meter on my garden hose tap supply this reading I only pay for the water and not the sewage charge on this tap my waist goes to a soak away the water company installed the second meter and checked that the waist was going into a soak away and not a drain before they would cancel the sewage charge this works really well as I get two bills and the one for the van is 100% buisness use it also saves a lot of money , but I still have a water bill for around a grand each quarter ,dred to think what it would be with sewage charge on it as well 

A thousand pounds. What RO have you got ? 

If you need any help OP just ask away ? 
Thanks @Damo for detailed info on this. Makes sense about pure being taken off site.

I had a run in with the woman that south west water sent around to talk about this very same subject, she told me I had to prove that no water was going into the drains and had to prove it with video evidence. She also said that at least 90% was going into the drain when we washed windows, All i said was that she was talking Bull and if SWW would not lower the price i would wright it off against the Tax man. and if he said anything in the future i would give him her number.

I had a run in with the woman that south west water sent around to talk about this very same subject, she told me I had to prove that no water was going into the drains and had to prove it with video evidence. She also said that at least 90% was going into the drain when we washed windows, All i said was that she was talking Bull and if SWW would not lower the price i would wright it off against the Tax man. and if he said anything in the future i would give him her number.
I had a similar convo with united utilities. Best I can do is to record water usage for work on a separate meter and put it through the books as an expense. My mate lives down the road and is not on a meter and with our ppm being very low his pure is basically free whilst I’m payin shedloads to buy the water then the same again on the waste side of things. Funny thing is the waste isn’t waste and most of it evaporates into thin air. How can you justify that.?So tempted to put a tap in before my meter.

Latest Posts

Back