Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone use a temp hot water system in this freezing weather?

wezza13

Hi all,

Just wondering (with this recent below 0 degree weather) if anyone uses a small, temporary hot water system? It was frustrating, last year, being unable to go out for a week whilst temperatures were around -10 when we had the beast from the east. As the temperature is hovering between -4 and +2 at the moment, I'd like to know if anybody has a temporary solution (without that solution being sitting at home and having the week off! ? ).

Wez

just have a week off,relax and enjoy yourself.....ive got a  grippatank hydroheat diesel hot water system with frost stat feature and i still had 4 days off when we had the "beast from the east" last year because i dont wanna risk driving my van with half a ton of water in the back on icy roads with a covering of snow......its not worth it....

seen as though your in kent you shouldnt get many days where you cant work during the winter....the 4 consecutive days i had off due to bad weather last winter was the first time since the snow in 2010(i had nearly 3 weeks off that january)....

Hi Wez, 

After trying a portable gas shower unit which nearly set the van on fire, I have since reverted to a safer method of heated water to use in very cold conditions.

I have fitted a 2kw immersion heater in to a static 300ltr tank in my garage.

I simply plug in at night and get hot water come morning 75 degrees.

Transfer fill to the van tank for the day.

Water stays warm all day.

just have a week off,relax and enjoy yourself.....ive got a  grippatank hydroheat diesel hot water system with frost stat feature and i still had 4 days off when we had the "beast from the east" last year because i dont wanna risk driving my van with half a ton of water in the back on icy roads with a covering of snow......its not worth it....

seen as though your in kent you shouldnt get many days where you cant work during the winter....the 4 consecutive days i had off due to bad weather last winter was the first time since the snow in 2010(i had nearly 3 weeks off that january)....

Always good to have the time off! I tend to get quite a bit of backlog at this time of year, so more time off makes it a bit of a headache ?

Hi Wez, 

After trying a portable gas shower unit which nearly set the van on fire, I have since reverted to a safer method of heated water to use in very cold conditions.

I have fitted a 2kw immersion heater in to a static 300ltr tank in my garage.

I simply plug in at night and get hot water come morning 75 degrees.

Transfer fill to the van tank for the day.

Water stays warm all day.

Thank you, this is really great information.

I use a 1000 litre tank  (the one with the steel cage around it) and it sits outside the back door. I've just watched a video on installing a 2kw immersion heater and it sounds like a fantastic idea. Here is the video that I just watched : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogw6FBV3suw&feature=youtu.be

Is that similar to what you did with yours? 

Wez

Always good to have the time off! I tend to get quite a bit of backlog at this time of year, so more time off makes it a bit of a headache ?

Thank you, this is really great information.

I use a 1000 litre tank  (the one with the steel cage around it) and it sits outside the back door. I've just watched a video on installing a 2kw immersion heater and it sounds like a fantastic idea. Here is the video that I just watched : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogw6FBV3suw&feature=youtu.be

Is that similar to what you did with yours? 

Wez
Hi Wez, 

Yes squeeky clean Dave's got some great videos.

I have a 1000ltr Ibc also in the garage also as my main water storage.

You could choose to have a separate static tank as I do or fit the immersion in the tank in your van.

Better to heat what you need for the day rather than your main 1000 litres storage tank.

As per Dave's video, fit a 2kw immersion and not a 3kw.

They are a little more expensive, however safer on your electrics. ?

An immersion heater is the simplest way.

Drill a hole and stick it in with a plug on.

I only use mine as an when required if its forecast to drop below freezing.

Hi Wez, 

Yes squeeky clean Dave's got some great videos.

I have a 1000ltr Ibc also in the garage also as my main water storage.

You could choose to have a separate static tank as I do or fit the immersion in the tank in your van.

Better to heat what you need for the day rather than your main 1000 litres storage tank.

As per Dave's video, fit a 2kw immersion and not a 3kw.

They are a little more expensive, however safer on your electrics. ?

That's a good idea, I only take out 300 litres a day with me anyway. So will more than likely get the 300 litre static tank. Then I'd have to get another water transfer pump, hose and nozzle to transfer to the water butts in my van. 

By the time I sort this all out, at least it'll be ready for next year!

An immersion heater is the simplest way.

Drill a hole and stick it in with a plug on.

I only use mine as an when required if its forecast to drop below freezing.

Thanks, it certainly sounds the easiest way. 

How long would a 2kw immersion take to warm a 350 litre tank, are we talking hours, based on winter outside temperatures?

Last edited by a moderator:
How long would a 2kw immersion take to warm a 350 litre tank, are we talking hours, based on winter outside temperatures?
After about 6 hours should be up to 65 degrees.

That will give you around 45-50 degrees at brush head, which as the day goes on will drop as water cools.

The immersion heater has a temp thermostat fitted which you can adjust to your requirements

After about 6 hours should be up to 65 degrees.

That will give you around 45-50 degrees at brush head, which as the day goes on will drop as water cools.

The immersion heater has a temp thermostat fitted which you can adjust to your requirements
Excellent, that’s good to know, thanks for the info ?

Would you be able to fix one of them into a water butt type holding tank, or would the curve make it not possible?

spruce said:
No. This would be totally wrong and could electrocute the person doing it.

I would suggest you remove this post.
Roger that... I thought they were like an aquarium heater. My bad! 

Would you be able to fix one of them into a water butt type holding tank, or would the curve make it not possible?

I wouldn't even if you could get a good seal. Its not the environment to be using a heating element like this in as most water butts will be out in the open (rain and water spillages) and in reach of an inquisitive toddler.

A word of caution on this post people a 2kw heater isn't something just to be messed around with water and electricity has to be done with relevant knowledge and experience a 2kw heater will give off some serious heat and I am quite certain although I could be wrong that immersion heaters should be on their own circuit not just plugged into a socket in the wall or an extension lead 

A word of caution on this post people a 2kw heater isn't something just to be messed around with water and electricity has to be done with relevant knowledge and experience a 2kw heater will give off some serious heat and I am quite certain although I could be wrong that immersion heaters should be on their own circuit not just plugged into a socket in the wall or an extension lead 

This extension lead copes with just over 3kw unwounded.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-hdct4513bq-4-xd-13a-4-gang-45m-cable-reel-240v/47295?tc=MT2&ds_kid=92700038547306716&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249401&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgbids4-W4AIVSrDtCh1cnQ_vEAQYASABEgKf2fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

Last edited:

I put a 16 amp MCB in the consumer unit and sent that with the correct rated wires to a 16 amp timer them arctic 16 amp  cord to 16 amp socket etc etc, I think I have heard people talking about hot plugs with just a 2kw immersion.

If you don't know 100% what your doing, get someone that does, fires are a real risk. If you do it yourself then that'll void your home insurance too.

I put a 16 amp MCB in the consumer unit and sent that with the correct rated wires to a 16 amp timer them arctic 16 amp  cord to 16 amp socket etc etc, I think I have heard people talking about hot plugs with just a 2kw immersion.

If you don't know 100% what your doing, get someone that does, fires are a real risk. If you do it yourself then that'll void your home insurance too.

Yes I remember in the last few years when lads first started with these that some were saying about hot plugs, I have a blow heater in my garage which has a thermal cut out but the plug has felt hot at times but that's a heater I use when I'm there not unattended for 12 hours, which is why I am sure you thought it best to ensure everything was done safely .  

Back