Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tank across Bulkhead or Lengthways ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I bought a VW Caddy Maxi today and should be collecting it on Monday. I have a 325L compact Facelift system going in, talked about it on another thread.. bloody thing has been sitting out my back garden for last few months waiting to go in a van. Lot of my orders went missing in post over christmas, eventually found but has slowed the whole process down massively.

The garage I bought van from won't bolt through chassis (As I expected insurance purposes, big commercial garage) and recommend I seek a van modification place. Anyways, as the title suggests not sure whether to go along back of bulkhead or lengthways. I know a few guys mentioned it will depend on whats underneath the chassis that could get in the way of the SS plates i'm bolting into which makes sense. Is there anybody on here with a Caddy maxi with tank bolted that could give me some advice on what's underneath etc? Also, what's the general consensus on working out of side vs back? Does it make a difference from a parking point of view domestically vs commercially as domestically surely you park sideways outside houses on the estates, where as commercial there is a lot of straight parking if that makes sense? Lots of other questions about people's setups, putting ply over floor after you waterproof, pole racks from roof or hooks on side ply, hose guide etc but a conversation for another day. Genuinely undecided which route I want to go, so many quality setups on here, it's difficult to know which way to go with it.

Caddy Maxi Rear2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
length ways is better IMO.......your not overloading either axles and you have space down  both sides of your tanks for trad stuff,leisure batteries,etc....also bolt  your tank frame through the existing eyelets in the van(using angle iron if needed)save drilling through the van floor.....

I use a caddy maxi, lengthways working out of side is best for me, I’ve had tank across bulkhead and working out of rear, not as good. Plus don’t feel the water slosh as much with it length ways

Had my compact 325 facing the rear on mytransit connect T230 both my son an I both worked out of the rear,

recently bought a second hand vauxhall combo lwb payload 1000kg I now have it facing the side door and my son works out the back  door less hose tangles lol, in all honestly I’m now prefer to work on the side I recently done a thread on it.

Because it’s a small van Each inch as been planned for by me and what I want to carry. 

Cheers for the replies lads. I'm really not sure what to do, will have to have a good think on it. I very rarely park sideways, usually there are cars either side depending on how early I am.

Den when you had it lengthways, did you have to climb in back to switch on and off? 

I use a caddy maxi, lengthways working out of side is best for me, I’ve had tank across bulkhead and working out of rear, not as good. Plus don’t feel the water slosh as much with it length ways
Did you have any issues bolting tank to chassis? I haven't had a chance to see what's underneath or whether there is ample space for spreader plates underneath chassis.

I bought a VW Caddy Maxi today and should be collecting it on Monday. I have a 325L compact Facelift system going in, talked about it on another thread.. bloody thing has been sitting out my back garden for last few months waiting to go in a van. Lot of my orders went missing in post over christmas, eventually found but has slowed the whole process down massively.

The garage I bought van from won't bolt through chassis (As I expected insurance purposes, big commercial garage) and recommend I seek a van modification place. Anyways, as the title suggests not sure whether to go along back of bulkhead or lengthways. I know a few guys mentioned it will depend on whats underneath the chassis that could get in the way of the SS plates i'm bolting into which makes sense. Is there anybody on here with a Caddy maxi with tank bolted that could give me some advice on what's underneath etc? Also, what's the general consensus on working out of side vs back? Does it make a difference from a parking point of view domestically vs commercially as domestically surely you park sideways outside houses on the estates, where as commercial there is a lot of straight parking if that makes sense? Lots of other questions about people's setups, putting ply over floor after you waterproof, pole racks from roof or hooks on side ply, hose guide etc but a conversation for another day. Genuinely undecided which route I want to go, so many quality setups on here, it's difficult to know which way to go with it.

View attachment 15573
I have the exact same van.

i went length way. 

Cheers for the replies lads. I'm really not sure what to do, will have to have a good think on it. I very rarely park sideways, usually there are cars either side depending on how early I am.

Den when you had it lengthways, did you have to climb in back to switch on and off? 

Did you have any issues bolting tank to chassis? I haven't had a chance to see what's underneath or whether there is ample space for spreader plates underneath chassis.
No it was towards the back because I had 8 x 25l containers in the front against the bulkhead and multi ladder and trad gear down the sides. 

Cheers Den, I do a lot of trad & would also have 25l barrels just incase for a big job so I probably will have to adopt the same setup.

Hey mate,

Would you recommend going length ways & did you have any issue when bolting under the chassis>
Yeh I would, although out of curiosity I’d like to see what it would be like sideways. But yeh I’m happy lengt ways.

i have a 500L upright. So down one side my fold up ladders fit nicely without moving at all one, and the other I have the back pack strapped to the frame & the gutter vac, all fits in quite snug thankfully.

Regarding bolting in, i sought help from a mechanic, someone I knew. He had all the gear & ideas. He measured it out inside the van, then measured it out underneath, moved in around a few inches due to exhaust & other things in the way.

Overall took us about 45 minutes. 

Yeh I would, although out of curiosity I’d like to see what it would be like sideways. But yeh I’m happy lengt ways.

i have a 500L upright. So down one side my fold up ladders fit nicely without moving at all one, and the other I have the back pack strapped to the frame & the gutter vac, all fits in quite snug thankfully.

Regarding bolting in, i sought help from a mechanic, someone I knew. He had all the gear & ideas. He measured it out inside the van, then measured it out underneath, moved in around a few inches due to exhaust & other things in the way.

May I also suggest you fiberglass your vans floor in such a way that it contains any spilled water from 'leaking' into the rear footwells under the floor and eventually wetting carpets.

My son's original Peugeot Partner smelt terrible as I overfilled his tank on several occasions. We fiberglassed his current Berlingo and created a 'tub' so any spilled water could only exit through the back doors. No damp smell any longer.

May I also suggest you fiberglass your vans floor in such a way that it contains any spilled water from 'leaking' into the rear footwells under the floor and eventually wetting carpets.

My son's original Peugeot Partner spelt terrible as I overfilled his tank on several occasions. We fiberglassed his current Berlingo and created a 'tub' so any spilled water could only exit through the back doors. No damp smell any longer.
Not a fan of this, I’ve never had a leak, depends on your setup, marine ply has worked great for me

Lovely stuff, cheers. Hopefully get it all sorted in the next few weeks.

I'm interested in this thread. Any chance of any pictures of the back of your vans. I have a caddy. I have a 500 litre flat tank. I want to get an upright instead. I was advised to put it across the bulkhead. 

My van is ply lined then fiberglassed and waterproofed. Mine too has an edge on, to stop water going into cab. If overfilled. I find if you put a carrier bag over the lid while travelling it stops any water flooding in cab. When I arrive to my first customer I remove it. 

I'm interested in this thread. Any chance of any pictures of the back of your vans. I have a caddy. I have a 500 litre flat tank. I want to get an upright instead. I was advised to put it across the bulkhead. 

My van is ply lined then fiberglassed and waterproofed. Mine too has an edge on, to stop water going into cab. If overfilled. I find if you put a carrier bag over the lid while travelling it stops any water flooding in cab. When I arrive to my first customer I remove it. 
Oh ok, I don’t think there’s much difference, I personally prefer length but hey, I’ve been very wrong about some much bigger things before haha 

C8CEBBB5-DC85-46FA-97BF-46CEC9B1E00B.jpeg

23268F3C-59D0-44BC-A0ED-6E0990F541BC.jpeg

01A72F79-2E49-442E-BD43-37D2AAB214D3.jpeg

500L upright tank fitted length ways with 9kw grippatank hydroheat with frost stat,PF crash tested cage,PF electric reel,xtreme 25 and xtreme 47....my perfect set up.....mines in a connect L2 240 limited though not a caddy maxi but they have a similar load space.......?

Screenshot_20190118-152611_Photos.jpg

ive fitted a piece of chipboard covered in black plastic sheeting(and stapled)at the back of my tank.it fits tight between the wheel arches and screwed my reel to it,saves drilling through the van floor...i have plastic load liner covering the van floor,it came with the van from new so no need for speedliner,etc......

i have no problem working from the back of my van...its the perfect set up for me....

i have my trad stuff near the side van door for easy access and 2 x105ah leisure batteries down the other side of the tank out of the way......i use soil pipes from b and q for pole holders and door cards with storage boxes from grippatank on the back doors for brushes/goosenecks etc(you cant see them on the pic)...

What's length screws you guys use for screwing hooks and storage bits into ply? I was considering getting roof ply, haven't seen anyone on here with that done just wondering is there a reason why?
dont bother with roof ply itll get wet due to condensation.....not too much of a problem for me as the back of my van is usually warm due to my diesel heater so it doesnt happen often.i just used some  heavy duty zip ties i had lying around to fix my pole holders(black soil pipes) up through the fixing points in the roof.....the screw hooks i have in my ply on the sides of my van are the cheap sets you get from TKMAXX for around £3.....i only use them for pole hose storage or spare gooseneck etc.....

Latest Posts

Back