Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

43ppm at the tap!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

GSS Window Cleaning

Checked my tap TDS today and it's now averaging 43ppm!!! Lowest it's ever been. Used to be around 90ish in summer due to the lack of rain we had. Generally believe I could clean 90% of windows at that ppm without using pure. Birmingham area. Oh and I'm not on the meter so feel free to come fill up at mine lol 

Cleaning windows at 43ppm? You're a braver man than me. I change resin when it hits 1ppm! But I would be prepared to go to 5ppm if I absolutely HAD to.

Cleaning windows at 43ppm? You're a braver man than me. I change resin when it hits 1ppm! But I would be prepared to go to 5ppm if I absolutely HAD to.
I always used to change mine at 3ppm and remember panicking one day when I realised I had been cleaning windows at 8ppm. 

But then I had a problem with my water production and basically got a tank full of 70ppm water and thought what do I do with it.

Decided I would give my conny roof a clean with it then thought might as well give my windows a clean and see how bad they come up. Much to my surprise they came up very well indeed, in fact Im pretty sure I could have gone out and done a days work with that water without a single complaint. 

Since then Im of the opinion we change resin far more quickly than necessary and are costing ourselves money I mean can you really tell the difference between a window cleaned with 1 and 5ppm water?  Dont think I could

Now Im quite happy to go up to 8 - 10 before changing resin.

Just my opinion tho I respect everyone has different views and do what you feel comfortable with.

I always used to change mine at 3ppm and remember panicking one day when I realised I had been cleaning windows at 8ppm. 

But then I had a problem with my water production and basically got a tank full of 70ppm water and thought what do I do with it.

Decided I would give my conny roof a clean with it then thought might as well give my windows a clean and see how bad they come up. Much to my surprise they came up very well indeed, in fact Im pretty sure I could have gone out and done a days work with that water without a single complaint. 

Since then Im of the opinion we change resin far more quickly than necessary and are costing ourselves money I mean can you really tell the difference between a window cleaned with 1 and 5ppm water?  Dont think I could

Now Im quite happy to go up to 8 - 10 before changing resin.

Just my opinion tho I respect everyone has different views and do what you feel comfortable with.

It's just something I'm not prepared to do. I tell my customers my water is 100% pure, and I make damn sure that's exactly what they get. If I went out knowing my water was 70ppm (which I simply wouldn't do and by the way 70ppm is about my tap water TDS at the minute) there's no way I'd be sleeping soundly that night lol. Maybe we can get away with a lot more. And I've heard a lot of people say you can clean certainly upto 15ppm without any problems. It just wouldn't sit well with me at all.

Checked my tap TDS today and it's now averaging 43ppm!!! Lowest it's ever been. Used to be around 90ish in summer due to the lack of rain we had. Generally believe I could clean 90% of windows at that ppm without using pure. Birmingham area. Oh and I'm not on the meter so feel free to come fill up at mine lol 
mines 029ppm but i always put it through resin.......43 WILL leave spotting i  reckon.....ill be changing my resin tomorrow as its coming out at 006 at the moment(double DI) which is fine to clean with but i like it to be 000......i use around 3 bags of resin a year so only around £260-£270 a year.....

Whichever way you do it the resin will still only last the same amount of time on double Di.

You change them over at 5 all the time...then one time you decide to change them round at 10 so you get more out of the resin.

But when you change them round at 10 the new resin won't last as long as when you changed at 5 because the water is more contaminated.

The higher you go before changing the less time your new resin will last before it it goes over 0 ppm.....that's on double Di.

Once topped up at an house without checking ppi one dinnertime and it destroyed my nearly spent resin....it was reading 2 that morning's fill it was 27 when re filled......it still cleaned fine though.

This was a house 2.5 miles from mine...my TDS is around 90...this was around 270.

It's just something I'm not prepared to do. I tell my customers my water is 100% pure, and I make damn sure that's exactly what they get. If I went out knowing my water was 70ppm (which I simply wouldn't do and by the way 70ppm is about my tap water TDS at the minute) there's no way I'd be sleeping soundly that night lol. Maybe we can get away with a lot more. And I've heard a lot of people say you can clean certainly upto 15ppm without any problems. It just wouldn't sit well with me at all.
Yeah that's true and must admit the highest I've ever on customers was around 15 when I was waiting for new bag of resin to arrive. Generally max I go to is 10. Tap water for me is over 400 tho so have to use ro as well. 

Whichever way you do it the resin will still only last the same amount of time on double Di.

You change them over at 5 all the time...then one time you decide to change them round at 10 so you get more out of the resin.

But when you change them round at 10 the new resin won't last as long as when you changed at 5 because the water is more contaminated.

The higher you go before changing the less time your new resin will last before it it goes over 0 ppm.....that's on double Di.

Once topped up at an house without checking ppi one dinnertime and it destroyed my nearly spent resin....it was reading 2 that morning's fill it was 27 when re filled......it still cleaned fine though.

This was a house 2.5 miles from mine...my TDS is around 90...this was around 270.
Don't quite understand what you mean? Surely the water coming into your 1st resin is always the same isn't it? 

I was thinking of adding another resin vessel myself and just keep swapping them around once water comes out the second one at say 5. 

Put the 1st dirtier resin as the second in line and replace this with fresh to bring it back to 0. But the one that was giving you 5 can bring the water coming out of the ro down part way. (usually around 25ppm out of my ro)

Is this the way you do it? 

Thanks

Back