Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best hose and barb size for univalve

Skxawng

Premium Member
I'm switching out my pole hose and want a good hose for the univalve with a tubeless setup. As it will only be inside the pole, flexibility doesn't matter. Was thinking the Gardiner's orange PU hot water hose. 

Question is what size barb do I want on the hosetail barb to fit it? I don't want to use O rings if I can avoid it.

The id of the hose is 5.5mm. 

The Barbs come in 5mm and 6mm. 

Which is best? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
you dont use barbs on the univalve....PU pole hose pushes straight on and then held in place with a tightened o rings(top and bottom).....job done....mines never leaked and i use hot water and its over 2 years old now,still works as good as new....fantastic piece of kit...?

Fair enough, it's just I've heard some people push the PU hose straight onto the univalve and don't have problems with leaks or it blowing off. Can anyone confirm that? (I realize it would leak with pvc pole hose)

Sorry I wasn't very clear- The barb I was talking about is the male ez snap (rectus) connector at the base of the pole.

So really 2 questions, which hosetail size with 5.5mm Pu hose, and do you need O rings on the univalve.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough, it's just I've heard some people push the PU hose straight onto the univalve and don't have problems with leaks or it blowing off. Can anyone confirm that? (I realize it would leak with pvc pole hose)

Sorry I wasn't very clear- The barb I was talking about is the male ez snap (rectus) connector at the base of the pole.

So really 2 questions, which hosetail size with 5.5mm Pu hose, and do you need O rings on the univalve.

Thanks.
...... i use the male rectus 26 fittings(5mm fitting for my pole hose) but the univalve obviously is a tighter fit with tightened o rings top and bottom esp if your using hot water...you might get away with it with cold water who knows?ive always used o rings or jubilee clips on hose connections throughout my system,you need to double clip some connections with hot or itll leak....

I use Gardiners orange PU hose in the pole connected to the univalve. I don't use 'o' rings at all in the pole. Just put the end of the hose in hot water to soften it and pushed it onto the univalve on both sides. I don't get any leaks at all, even using water at around 50° as I have this last week. The only place I use a barbed hosetail is at the bottom of the pole where I use a straight JG fitting for a tubeless setup.

Back