Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Large building many windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

pottsy

Been asked to quote for this building windows outside and inside, would I quote for number of windows or length of time it will probably take me? 

B35CF2C3-95CD-45F1-8F8E-C3A217019EC6.jpeg

17729BCE-C54E-4E67-87B5-FEB520FA18D5.jpeg

9FC5D402-B04F-4D3C-9678-A953F66B1B48.jpeg

3F6B70C0-8795-4B3B-80D4-84DD0697A11F.jpeg

No magic formula in commercial work, estimate how long it will take and stick to your hourly rate. What I usually find, on large buildings like this, is I usually do the outside quicker then I estimated. As for inside that's a whole different can of worms, clear access is vital otherwise you'll spend more time moving desks etc.

Outsides are ok but the insides Ime guessing will be a nightmare with desks etc in the way , I would Price it time wise rather than windows , that’s going to be quite a big job price it well or it will bite you in the bum ??

Also looking again at the pictures are those frames UPVC or old metal ones ?? If metal they will clean up ok but take a lot longer as they hold the dirt more first clean will be a pain I think 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks lads, the frames are plastics they don’t need them cleaning thank god!! Was thinking 3 days ish,all inside windows clear for access apparently but we’ll see.

I would like to have a test run before I quoted for it just to see how long it would take me. I wouldn't want to price it to low and have a miserable time cleaning them. Let us know how you get on?

Thanks lads, the frames are plastics they don’t need them cleaning thank god!! Was thinking 3 days ish,all inside windows clear for access apparently but we’ll see.
If they do fantastic. Little walk around on the inside and you'll find out for yourself. Hopefully their not fibbing and you are not climbing over desks, paperwork and moving people's family photos... been there before myself and never again.

How many people cleaning I would think it would take more than 3 days unless you have 4 on it , outside is ok but inside I recone will be a nightmare good luck with it price it well 

I wonder if there’s ever been a job where it’s taken so long, the windows you cleaned at the beginning were dirty again when you finish....

Don't know how quick you work but for me outside is a good days work. Inside on the basis of clear access shouldn't take you longer than 2 days. Personally don't know what the prices are in your area but I would travel and do that for £1k and smile. 

Don't know how quick you work but for me outside is a good days work. Inside on the basis of clear access shouldn't take you longer than 2 days. Personally don't know what the prices are in your area but I would travel and do that for £1k and smile. 

We do some big buildings and work fast but wouldn’t want to say we would do all those outsides in a day , you would certainly need to be producing water on site a 1000 ltr isn’t going to do that , also those frames are filthy they will take a lot of scrubbing and rinsing I would price it at 2 days out side and 2-3 insides if we did it a bit faster I would be happy but at least you are covered if it takes longer , price wise wouldn’t evan consider it for less than 2:5 kif I got the job at that price I would do it but wouldnt be bothered if I was viewed as to  expensive and didn’t get it . Again maybe different parts of the country are cheaper or dearer we have several jobs much much smaller than this and they pay what @Part Timer was suggesting for a days work , guess we are lucky down hear 

access is also an issue with this job with all those parked cars as well that will be awkward when doing the ground and first floor,  not sure if the metal bits in between floors will be an issue or not , again it’s got tk pay considerably more than a domestic days wkrk tk make it worth the hassle , quarterly clean is going to be like doing a first clean each visit as well 

Last edited by a moderator:
@PjjI get £350 for this job and I was £80 more than the previous cleaner, I know the FD personally. It takes me 10 hours and it uses the full 650l tank to do it. The top floor is too high for the 27' to reach. 

View attachment 15612

View attachment 15613

View attachment 15614
???prices are oviously a lot lower where you are , I would be at least 3x that price , we do more than that on domestic in 8 hours , at that price commercial isn’t worth doing surely ? If I was in your area I don’t think I would have any work ????

I don’t think where you are matters really for prices. I’m in the NW and we was doing  £25/hour tradding semis at £4.50 a Chuck twenty years back. I’d say £25/hour is rock bottom these days. Once you factor in expenses and the many benefits that you could get for being an employee you might as well be an employee at that rate. 

Well if you could find me a job that pays £700 a week I'll pack in window cleaning. An established compact round could easily do £30+ an hour where I live but as they very rarely come up for sale, and those that do are traditionally done, I'll have to keep struggling along doing what I do. 

Back