Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Re-using waste water?

Moor

Is it ok to re-use the waste water from the filtration process when filling my tank?

I’m currently just letting it go down the drain, in summer I reuse some on the garden but it seems like a big waste of water.

I'm thinking of having the waste water emptying into a water butt and then pumping it into the system again next time I fill up.

is there any reason I can’t do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can ionics used to have a set up like this years ago but it’s now been dropped , waist water is exacythat waist it’s dirty water , would you want to use the water that’s going from your sink after doing the washing up to go to your washing machine to wash your clothes ? Waist water is part of our expenses , just budget for it in your pricing of jobs , in summer months use it to water the garden 

Waste water has a higher TDS so you’ll get less life from your membranes and resin. It does seem criminal to waste so much water though!

You can ionics used to have a set up like this years ago but it’s now been dropped , waist water is exacythat waist it’s dirty water , would you want to use the water that’s going from your sink after doing the washing up to go to your washing machine to wash your clothes ? Waist water is part of our expenses , just budget for it in your pricing of jobs , in summer months use it to water the garden 
Not quite the same thing, it’s still clean water just with higher TDS. I do budget for it but I feel it’s my responsibility to at least try and use such a large volume of perfectly usable water.

Waste water has a higher TDS so you’ll get less life from your membranes and resin. It does seem criminal to waste so much water though!
Just the information I’m after, thanks. 

Not quite the same thing, it’s still clean water just with higher TDS. I do budget for it but I feel it’s my responsibility to at least try and use such a large volume of perfectly usable water.

Just the information I’m after, thanks. 

That’s just the point it isn’t clean water it’s impurity’s that will cause problems by leaving marks on the window that’s what tds is total desolved solids , you need to remove them or when the water is on the glass the water will evaporate leaving the total desolved solids now as a solid on the window which is what you now see with spots , the waist water is ok for most uses just not window cleaning , it’s a waist product if it wasn’t we would be using it 

I understand that, I’m not suggesting I fill up my tank with waste water and clean windows with it, I’m asking if it’s ok to re-use the wate water back into my filtration system and then use it. I now know I could but would reduce my filter life, so I won’t.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s just the point it isn’t clean water it’s impurity’s that will cause problems by leaving marks on the window that’s what tds is total desolved solids , you need to remove them or when the water is on the glass the water will evaporate leaving the total desolved solids now as a solid on the window which is what you now see with spots , the waist water is ok for most uses just not window cleaning , it’s a waist product if it wasn’t we would be using it 
Yep, hard enough getting the tap water pure enough in the first place. I wouldn't be trying to recycle the waste water. I dread to think what the tds would be on it and the challenge to the purification system. I would think it would be very expensive to run. ? 

Latest Posts

Back