Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Airlock issue with a gardiners backpack

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Cleanco

I’m looking to expand on my van mount with a portable device and I’m torn between a barrel trolley system or a gardeners backpack and sack truck. I’ve chosen a gardeners back pack as it seems to be the best on the market. I’ve not picked a barrel trolley system yet but I know from previous use that they suffer from air locks quite frequently when changing the barrels. My question is do the gardiners backpacks suffer from this same problem?

All Backpacks will have airlocks if left running for long periods after emptying when you fill up again yhe pump has to prime as it's gone dry not a big deal make sure your pump hose is lying down and not pointing up.

I'v never had any one, you can run the pump with no water in it, and then fill it with water there won't be 

an air lock..?

Never had an issue myself. Regularly get airlocks with the pure freedom trolley. We have a foldable trolley to put it on if we need to take it any distance. Can't go wrong for the money 

The airlock problem on many trolley's was due to the intake hose having a large ID, some being as large as 13mm like the original PF trolleys. When a barrel ran dry this created a large volume of empty hose for the pump to draw water into before it could work properly and sometimes it could never quite do it. Mine almost always had a large bubble at the top of the hose which would never clear. This was resolved by reducing the ID of this hose to a much smaller size. My current PF Trolley came fitted with 8mm ID minibore. As a consequence it now primes in 2-3secs after I've run a barrel dry as long as you disconnect the pole hose at the trolley first and make sure that the hose connections remain airtight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlike the trolley where most often the pump has to lift the water out of the barrel, backpack pumps are gravity fed so airlocks shouldn't be a problem unless you have a poorly fitting intake hose to the pump in which case air could get in there. I've never had an airlock issue with my 12ltr sprayer which is set up like a backpack

Back