Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hose keeps popping off reel

WCF

Help Support WCF:

triangle

As soon as pressure builds up this hoselock connector on reel pops off..  It never used to do it.  Just get a new hoselock?  Wanted a thinner hose as well as I put it under van back door and lock it up 

DSC_0070.JPG

I used to have the same problem. 

Even good quality hozelock couplers aren't designed to be used as often as we do. Spinning round all day as we wind out and reel in wears the plastic teeth that hold it on and eventually they pop off.

Better to use an elbow swivel so that does the spinning and your hozelock coupler doesn't have to turn and they will last indefinitely then.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/garden-hose-couplings/hozelock-type-brass-hose-reel-fitting-swivel-elbow.html

Screenshot_20190130-162734.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look inside your Hoselock Connector you will see three grey teeth. These can often snap which may be the problem.

1.buy a decent heavy duty reel like a PF reelmaster,youll never have this problem again....

2.leave the reel fixed in the van...its much easier than lugging it in and out the van all the time....

the other problem you could be having is your calibration(pump not shutting off quickly enough when you turn your tap off at the pole end)building up too much pressure and causing the hose to pop off....if it is, back it off a bit until it shuts off within 10 seconds.....

the brass elbow connector above will be better but these also start playing up after a while(leaking).when you can afford it buy a decent reel with a rotary joint on the side.....problem solved....

1.buy a decent heavy duty reel like a PF reelmaster,youll never have this problem again....

2.leave the reel fixed in the van...its much easier than lugging it in and out the van all the time....

the other problem you could be having is your calibration(pump not shutting off quickly enough when you turn your tap off at the pole end)building up too much pressure and causing the hose to pop off....if it is, back it off a bit until it shuts off within 10 seconds.....

the brass elbow connector above will be better but these also start playing up after a while(leaking).when you can afford it buy a decent reel with a rotary joint on the side.....problem solved....

One of these-

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/reelmaster-electric-hose-reel/#hose

Can u use it manually?  Getting electric seems like a lot of money and faff

You said about calibration.   I've got a basic manual **** twister flow controller but maybe I should switch over.  Didn't know the electric ones adjusted pressure on a build up.

the basic manual flow controllers are good...... just turn it down a tad if your building up too much pressure....

the electric reels are expensive but youll end up buying one anyway one day if your planning on sticking to wfp window cleaning...they make your working days easier for sure.....same with xtreme poles and  a hot water system.....they all help with efficiency,ease of use and getting round your work as quickly and comfortably as possible....?

Just get a new one, a couple of quid. replace the o ring on the male part and should be fine. Used to get it all the time when i had hoselock but the ones i get from varitech are great.

Just get a new one, a couple of quid. replace the o ring on the male part and should be fine. Used to get it all the time when i had hoselock but the ones i get from varitech are great.
The bottom photo isn't mine or in my reel.  It's a friend's.  I am wondering if I should be using it 

The top photo is mine.  

The top photo is the inside of my reel, should u be using a connector like the one in the photo below? 

View attachment 15688

View attachment 15690
I see you've fitted an elbow swivel convector. Has that stopped the hozelock coupler popping off?

As far as inside the reel goes, it looks overly complicated on the top photo. The bottom photo is a better solution, although it's not really necessary to have another rectus/ez snap coupler at the beginning of the hose. Just have the orange connector (bottom photo) with the main microbore hose directly into in.

The fewer connections, the less chance of it leaking. 

Saying that, if your current setup doesn't leak inside the reel then leave it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I see you've fitted an elbow swivel convector. Has that stopped the hozelock coupler popping off?

As far as inside the reel goes, it looks overly complicated on the top photo. The bottom photo is a better solution, although it's not really necessary to have another rectus/ez snap coupler at the beginning of the hose. Just have the orange connector (bottom photo) with the main microbore hose directly into in.

The fewer connections, the less chance of it leaking. 

Saying that, if your current setup doesn't leak inside the reel then leave it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
 Yeah it's not popping off.  Got a metal hozelock as well to go onto the elbow swivel. 

I will try it.  Shall I use plastic ties similar to my complicated set up (I currently use) below to stop the microbore kinking?    

View attachment 15694
Totally bewildered as to why you have or need 3 Hozelock connectors instead of just one, as for the hose kinking and cable ties I have never had an issue as hose can easily be reeled on without issue 

Totally bewildered as to why you have or need 3 Hozelock connectors instead of just one, as for the hose kinking and cable ties I have never had an issue as hose can easily be reeled on without issue 

When I didn't use ties and just connected micro bore directly into hozelock it kept linking.   I'll try your method and see how it goes.  U got a photo of the inside of your reel? 

Take of green pipe with black connector and yellow connector and chuck in bin. Leave cable tie alone. Pull microbore though cable tie and plug claber on to where the black connector came off of. Sorted. 

I know this is an old thread but having experienced this and found the answer I thought it worth reviving. 

Hozelock fittings have two different type of connectors, one for the tap end of the hoze and another for the tool end of the hoze. One of these fittings (coloured red) is fitted with aqua stop (aqua stop printed on side of fitting also). Because of this I assumed it was designed to go on the tool end of the hoze so if you wanted to remove/change the tool water would stop pouring from the hoze. I was wrong! The red fitting with aqua stop should be fit to the tap end and the other type (coloured grey) should be connected to the tool end of the hoze. An easy way to test is to remove any tool/spray from the end of the hoze (so only the female hozelock fitting is on the end of the hoze) now turn on the tap and if water comes out of the end you have the correct orientation. If no water comes out chances are you have the aqua stop fitting on the wrong end of your hoze. 

I hope this helps

Back