Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Been cleaning windows at 26ppm

Maund

I've just realised that I've been cleaning yesterday and today at 26ppm, not had any complaints as of yet, but will cleaning windows at this ratio leave streaks?

Last edited by a moderator:
theres only you can comfirm this,      do your own and see the finished product.    its all in the rinsing  

If the water you are rinsing with has 26ppm of dissolved solids in the water, you aren't going to get spotless windows no matter how much you rinse or how good your technique is imho.

If you rinse with dirty water, the item you are rinsing will still be dirty when it dries.

Have heard these stories that windies clean with high tds and don’t have a problem, a couple of years ago I cleaned my own windows with 003 and got spotting I check my tds every week and as soon as it gets to 001 I change the resin. 

I've cleaned with 50-odd PPM and had spotless results! I did it by accident but was pleasantly surprised by the results. I wouldn't bat an eyelid at 26 PPM, I very much doubt you will hear anything. If you get marks at 003 PPM it's not your water.

I've cleaned with 50-odd PPM and had spotless results! I did it by accident but was pleasantly surprised by the results. I wouldn't bat an eyelid at 26 PPM, I very much doubt you will hear anything. If you get marks at 003 PPM it's not your water.

Glad you arnt my window cleaner , it’s a scientific fact it will leave marks end off 

It’s strange. Because you hear of some people saying 3ppm leaves marks, others say 26ppm doesn’t. I change my resin when it gets to 3/4ppm. Just a habit. 

I got some water off a mate once where is was either 12 or 14ppm. Can’t remember. I did over scrub & double rinse. Came out fine. But I personally felt unprofessional, if the customer ever found out. 

I’m defo no scientist and the only thing I can think of  is what’s in the local water, this part of Essex got very high limescale content maybe could be that’s what caused the spotting?  like I said I got spotting on my maintained windows never had it before or after only the one time when I used 003 water,  that’s my experience and now I changed my resin as soon as it crept up to 001. 

Glad you arnt my window cleaner , it’s a scientific fact it will leave marks end off 

I reckon I'm in the best position to judge that. I did it, I looked at it and with over 16 years of WFP experience I still looked at clean, spotless glass- fact. Oh, and it's "end of" NOT "end off"!! Also "aren't" and NOT "arnt". I'm glad you "aren't" my child's teacher!! End of!?

I reckon I'm in the best position to judge that. I did it, I looked at it and with over 16 years of WFP experience I still looked at clean, spotless glass- fact. Oh, and it's "end of" NOT "end off"!! Also "aren't" and NOT "arnt". I'm glad you "aren't" my child's teacher!! End of!?

You would oviously make a better teacher than window cleaner ???

It depends...this time of year with the low sun everything shows up so I wouldnt want to personaly go above 5ppm (not that I do on a regular basis).

I would say that if the conditions aren't great, its risky going up high tds, but if its overcast it wont show up. If the glass sheets then you have less chance again, if it beads then you may have spotting.

If the tds is above 0 then it may show up depending on the conditions, but to what degree? it depends...

I use pure.

Why because there is more room for error meaning you can clean faster and rinse less.

When you scrub a window with water the dirt in the window is moves about and mixes with the water. If your water is already 5 TDs the water which is now on the widnow may be 20 TDs. 

Now if you rinse that water off thoroughly the best it can be when you have finished is 5tds and if you want to go faster and rinse less it could be more.

If I start with pure and rinse thoroughly it's going to be zero, if I go faster and rinse on the glass or not as much rinsing I may still only be 2-3 TDs on the glass 

So I'm conclusion I can go faster with pure at 5 tds and be more confident of no spots than the other guy can.

Also like has been said in direct low sunlight even 2-3 TDs will spot.

I've even seen spotting on my own windows with pure water in really bad sunlight. Wfp is not perfect in these conditions so to give yourself the disadvantage of not using 0 Tds is foolishness.

You can get away with higher TDs on cloudy overcast days. But why bother just use pure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back